Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

clarification needed on brood warden.

before i state my question i'll put my credentials 1st, not to show off but purely for argument sake. feel free to skip if you think its pointless of me to put it in :)

i am a veteran from from wow vanilla up to the end of cataclysm having raided only in vanilla, wrath of the lich king and cataclysm, after that i went for ff14 from 2 months before heavensward up to the 2nd month after stormblood release.
these 2 games combined hold atleast 10 years of mmo gaming with some other odd years in various mmo games.
in those games i almost exlusively played tanks, both in pvp, pve aswell as rvr, so much in fact i even came up with a pentacle shaped system to define what kind of tank it is, based on playstyle/versatility.

i need to know if brood warden will be tank viable or not.

ive seen pet tanks work at times before they got nuked with nerfs untill they were buried beneath no mans land, and i realise that it was speedrunners/theorycrafters that created the tactic.

but it got me thinkin; "summoners live and breath through their summons" is the quote that brought me the epiphany of the "what if it could work?".

the questions, specifically, are these.
will brood warden be viable to tank with using its pet/ together with its pet, or not?
will it be instead be just a meaty dps?
when we say "brood" do we mean dragon-like or spider-like?
if summoners breath through their pets then how do they safeguard themselves in pvp from enemies?

i saw in their (currently) latest blog entry that theyre covering all the classes with a rough approximation of what we can expect with them, but it would be nice if some1 could shed light on any of this
sorry if i wasted any1's time :)

(spiders have a brood mother since spiders lay a huge number of eggs, after wich they hatch they battle each other to the death and eat the corpses.(or so ive readt a number of years ago>.>(dont quote me on thatT.T)))

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately I don't think we have access to that kind of information at the moment. We have the bare bones for tank, cleric, mage and ranger but that's it so far.

Involving some kind of spider theme would certainly be cool and something that hasn't been done much in MMOs.
  • Options
    It's hard to tell. As it's been said, we don't have much info. The summoner is supposed to be a jack of all trades class which makes me think it can at least off tank. There might be some chance that you could make a tanky build and be effective. You probably wont be as good a someone who is a tank base but you still might be able to tank things. 
  • Options
    This will probably not be answered until much later in testing. This is just opinion but I do not see a tank subclass archetype supplanting the need for a tank main archetype. I could see them being a viable offtank, but most likely not a replacement for a main tank. Once again this is just speculation.
  • Options
    This will probably not be answered until much later in testing. This is just opinion but I do not see a tank subclass archetype supplanting the need for a tank main archetype. I could see them being a viable offtank, but most likely not a replacement for a main tank. Once again this is just speculation.
    You could easily adapt to a playstyle, rotation/skill selection, and game sense that allows such a class to become viable as a main tank.
    I've been playing MMOs for years and the number of times I've seen developers say, "Wow we didn't know you could do that, *nerf*.", or "We didn't even think X class was viable, *nerf*.", have been numerous.

Sometimes the players may even know the classes better than the developers and can surprise the community with their ingenuity.
  • Options
    As mentioned we don't have the information to be able to answer fully. We can speculate though :3

Brood Warden is a Summoner/Tank. We know that primary archetypes will be the classes role. In this case summoner is the primary role. As Brood Warden you'll be a summoner with the flavours of tank - therefore you'll have a tankier playstyle than your peer summoners. Your summoner skills will have the option to be augmented with tank augments.

Whether it is viable or not we will need to wait and see but by "role" it's not classified as a tank.

Keeper is a Tank/Summoner. Your tank skills will have the option to be augmented with summoner augments. By "role" this classifies as a tank.

So if you want to be a tank but be like a summoner then the choice would be Keeper.

However without trail and error and testing we won't be able to tell how effective our augments will be with influencing our main role!
  • Options
    oh shit:o, when i posted this i couldnt find it in my discussion list but here it is now:D thx every1 for taking the time for this!:)

i would be happy by the chance of it being just an offtank of somekind:D imagine it taunting a boss off the main tank just to eat the tankbuster!xD

anyway, i plan on making a brood warden nonetheless, at the very least i hope the pet controls will be better then ff14 has (the pets there are a rainwreck to control).
    cant wait for this:D