Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting System Speculation

Sussurro writes:

Quote from the official website:

"Crafting and gathering is a very important component of the economy that players will have direct control over. Whether you wish to build a sprawling plantation around your house, or wish to travel the vast wilderness in search of treasure and resources. There are many tools available to the crafters of our world.

Regardless of how you gather your resources, we believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses."

I think the crafting system is a gradient, that the crafter controls, which allows them to change the properties of their gear (weapons; i.e. damage, reach/range, durability, speed/weight). They have a set amount that they can allocate, pointing at one or more of these properties; they would also have a predetermined set of stats that the crafter could select depending on their crafting level and the level of the gear. An enchanter could add additional stats on top of the crafted stat providing a community driven variance that would replace RNG and be way more fun and engaging.

Additionally, they could set minimum and maximum values for the properties on the gear that players could manipulate (this post is my speculation/hope for the dial system that Steven proposed).

▪Given the number of classes it could make more playstyles viable on more characters without major changes to the class concept

Comments

• Options
    If by minimum and maximum values for properties you mean something like: gear can have 100 property points, which have to be divided into damage, durability, range, speed and weight, eg. you cannot max out everything, then that would be very disappointing.

A crafters goal is to improve his skills and keep making better products. If, at some point, you products quality depends on property points, then there is no point in progressing your crafting skills, as you will not be able to craft your ultimate weapon in this game.
  • Options
    What if the points you can allocate, or the return value from each point, increase as your skill increases?
    Or the base values of each property increase with your skill?

I admit, if every craftsman starts and ends only being able to allocate 100 points, and the return or base never increase, then the diversity would die out quick. I can't imagine IS doing this, but without more info we don't know.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    If by minimum and maximum values for properties you mean something like: gear can have 100 property points, which have to be divided into damage, durability, range, speed and weight, eg. you cannot max out everything, then that would be very disappointing.

A crafters goal is to improve his skills and keep making better products. If, at some point, you products quality depends on property points, then there is no point in progressing your crafting skills, as you will not be able to craft your ultimate weapon in this game.
    @FliP, I apologize for not elaborating, I meant  minimum and maximum values for the properties of the gear (weapons; i.e. damage, reach/range, durability, speed/weight). It isn't essential to the primary idea which is to give the crafter more control over the finished product than virtually any other game; another way to limit (prevent crafters from creating broken products) is to link the value of certain properties such that if you increase the value of one it increases/diminishes the value of another: increased damage leads to increased weight and decreased speed.

Both limiters could be combined so that there would be minimum and maximum values AND properties that have their values linked in some way. This would do away with having to allocate points (you would be manipulating the values directly), give the crafter enormous control, and be easier to use with assurance that the finished product wouldn't be (completely) broken*.

*From here on this will be the total limiter for the crafting system I've proposed