Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pointing the obvious

I know that this game isn't going to be p2w but why are the prices are so high ?(Pre-Order Packs).Maybe its usual and normal for european countries but for others its really really expensive.Like its impossible to pay this price.I am not trying to be modest here.I played WoW,im currently playing rainbow six siege with all his season pass's,playing Division with all his DLC's BUT how can i pay such a big amount like 500 dolars to a game i dont know that i like or not.Alpha's and Beta's are test servers that gives players a chance to love the game but its really expensive.I hope you get what im saying.We are a group of gamers(7-8 person) and we like to test this game but with this prices i dont think any of us can play.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    You are confusing these pre-pay packages with early access of other games. 

Most games offer early access as a money grab for a mostly finished game. Just because they call it "alpha" or "beta" doesn't mean anything because they bastardized the meaning of those words as a marketing tool.

AoC is literally asking fans to help fund the development of the game. You will be playing the actual alpha or beta of AoC...not the marketing version of them.
  • Options
    But this doesn't answers any of my questions :) Even though its fund-based still we cant pay.Trust me,i know this game worths a lot but we will not be able to afford its Alpha or Beta .
  • Options
    The packs are expensive because you are getting some exclusive skins and access to early testing phases. If you wait until release there is no box price for the game and a $15 subscription. If you want to support the game's development process and have your feedback help shape the game while its being made, then buy a store package, if not just wait and watch the development then get the game closer to release.
  • Options
    I would suggest not buying anymore DLC or season passes for other games to save up for one of the packs for AoC if you're that serious about it.

@Cambiguous gave a great answer. The packs are really for people who want to support funding the game. It's not about getting a product.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    But this doesn't answers any of my questions :) Even though its fund-based still we cant pay.Trust me,i know this game worths a lot but we will not be able to afford its Alpha or Beta .
    You consider it expensive because you're viewing it as early access. It is not early access. Everything you do in alpha/beta will be wiped.

Other games like Pantheon charge a very similar amount to be an early supporter. As of now there are a lot of folks who paid a lot of money just because the devs of that game showed some new grass and some super boring EQ1-style combat. There is a chance that game completely flops and they (me included) flushed a few hundred bucks down the toilet.

You pay $500 or $250 to help support the game, not to play it early. It you don't want to support the game development (and there's nothing wrong with that), then wait until their version of early access. I'm sure it will be much cheaper.

If you can't afford $250+ on a video game, then don't worry about it. Once the game releases there won't be any advantage gained from spending that money other than some silly cosmetic items that mean nothing as far as the actual game play is concerned.
  • Options
    I'm guessing OP's biggest complaint here is the lack of a trial for the game, and not expensive skins. :)

I guess you will just have to watch the streams and videos on web. This is usually more than enough to see if you like the game.

If it isn't then when game is released you pay 15$ to play one month, and you will surely know after that if you like it or not.

Imho, it is good that there is no trial system, it eliminates all those free gold spammers that would come in on trial accounts and find the way to do propaganda.

You can mute trial accounts, but then they just make their character names WWWSellGoldCom and come stand in main city, 200 of them. (yeah, I've seen that one).

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Trials lead to scenes like this of virtual corpse spam. As pointed out by others above, there will be hundreds of people streaming the game throughout the alphas, that will probably die down to a group of hardcore streamers by launch. If you don't have the disposable income to drop $15 dollars to try the game out, then you have larger problems than you can try to blame IS for. If you haven't seen this before, those are bodies laid out in game. Each one is an account that was spam program created and replaced as soon as WOW blocked one. This is why you won't see free trials in a sub game unless they have just given up on blocking gold sellers and bots.

• Options
    Paying huge amounts for a game like 500$ is always a risk because there is not much information to go on, it's something people decide on for themselves and they are the only ones that can say whether or not it was worth to buy a package or not.

I would also like to point out that the package for 500$ contains 180$ in game time and 150$ of embers (in game currency) and 115$ in cosmetics (individual prices add up to that and they are exclusive and wont be avalible anymore) so you are paying 445$ for bonuses and the rest 55$ is for the alpha and beta access.

If you don't want to pay then simply don't and wait for the official release in around 2 years time.