Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying Mounts

Back for another post just trying to bring the AoC peeps together to have something to read and talk about something while we wait almost 2 years lol *cry's*. 

So flying mounts I think they are a bad idea to ever have in a game,it takes away from the game of enjoying going threw zones and also being like *shit I pulled more*. Also flying mounts make pvp less fun and feel like a crutch b/c like Wow sorry to compare it to that but they took flying away and everyone was pissed b/c now they had to walk/ground mount everywhere not enjoying the surroundings of the game.

What are your guys thoughts on this again for me it should be left out of the game unless there are things like fly from X zone to Y zone and that's it as a means of fast travel i guess you can call it.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    Steven has said that there will not be flying mounts in the game except in two capacities: 
    1. Mayors of metropoli and Kings/Queens of castles will be able to get a flying dragon and will only be able to use it while they are mayor/king/queen. If they lose that rank/status, they lose the mount.
    2. A dragon drops an egg (an extremely rare drop by the way) that can hatch into a flying dragon. This mount is temporary meaning that after awhile it will disappear and the owner will no longer have a flying mount.

Other than those two options there will not be any flying mounts in the game. There will be mounts that have wings, but the wings will only only you to "hover" a small (we don't know the exact distance but probably a few feet) distance off the ground and possible glide (like if you jumped off a cliff). But, again, no actual flying like you see in WOW will exist other than the two exceptions above.
    Fast travel will only happen in Scientific nodes who have invested in it. And you will only be able to fast travel to places within the node's zone of influence. We don't know what kind of fast travel it will be ( like a teleport, zeppelin, carriage), but that is the only planned fast travel in game other than just owning your own mount.
  • Options
    Pls,  no flying mounts,  few - very few- fast travel. Dont let the World become small
  • Options
    Since we have come around to this topic again, time to quotebomb ya.

Once someone is no longer the mayor, or the guild leader loses control of that castle they no longer have access to that dragon. (confirmed)
    If you do the math for the server population that they have stated to be around 10k concurrent players. 5 metros/5 castles is 10 dragons. That is 0.01 % of a server population with access to flying mounts. (barring timed egg drops which will NOT be common).
  • Options
    I was happy about this. WOW showed that the flying mount while a cool, kills the idea of adventure.  Being able to just skip over large score of combatants and get to a place half way across the world easily takes out the idea of adventure or distance.
  • Options
    I was happy about this. WOW showed that the flying mount while a cool, kills the idea of adventure.  Being able to just skip over large score of combatants and get to a place half way across the world easily takes out the idea of adventure or distance.
    And that is why iit will be limited. Not to mention they don't want people just to be able to pop up all over the world in a matter of seconds or minutes in terms of pvp/caravans
  • Options
    This conversation has been beaten to death. The search functionality is very helpful for you new comers.
  • Options
    Xombie said:
    This conversation has been beaten to death. The search functionality is very helpful for you new comers.
    we have a search functionality? ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Xombie said:
    we have a search functionality? ^^
    Rumour has it that it's been functional, I haven't been utilizing the forums much as of late so I can't verify. However, this conversation was lacking snobbery so I thought I'd oblige.
  • Options
    Flying mounts kill world PVP.  /thread
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    I think dragons wont be strong. Only for fliying and for good appearance.
  • Options
    Id really love flying mounts, dragons even more.

With that being said, having only a selected players being able to mount dragons out of such a big community, makes me rather not have them at all.

I used to really love flying across the open-world in other games, it really adds a unique way to feel the world around you
  • Options
    Flying mounts kill world PVP.  /thread
    Which is why it should be limited to Dragons only. Let's see how this will work in practice, but I'm optimistic. 
  • Options
    i dont think there should be any at all makes others want it but only "special few get them, meaning mayors and such" doesn't matter ride a horse like everyone else.
  • Options
    I agree, if Guild/Node leaders need to maintain diplomatic relations and be responsible for things happening all over their node perhaps they should have flying mounts for quicker travel purposes.

I don't see the leaders having flying mounts as a  huge advantage, more of a necessity for travel.
  • Options

Is this a photo of a potential flying mount, or a tool to used to sweep this thread away? You decided.
  • Options
    I, in fact, have not decided...
  • Options
    Mhm, I think I'm ok with it as long as it's an extremely rare occurrence to come across a player with such a mount. This will help with the whole balancing issues that will come with it and still let it maintain that 'wow factor'.

On another note I don't think this has been discussed but what about gilders too? Personally I think gliding add another layer to gameplay and you're able to appreciate another level of the game's visuals (something I'm sure AoC is going for).

• Options
    There will be mounts that glide, I don't know about gliders. I would prefer not having a glider system like in AA where everyone always has a glider handy...
  • Options

Probably most people that complain are like "I will never obtain a drake, so no one can have it."

It's gonna be so rare that it's epic to see a drake fly in the sky, besides that they are killable to.

• Options
    Flying mounts make the world always smaller,  and in a world where things can change all the time i rather not have flying mounts!
  • Options
    Since we have come around to this topic again, time to quotebomb ya.

Once someone is no longer the mayor, or the guild leader loses control of that castle they no longer have access to that dragon. (confirmed)
    If you do the math for the server population that they have stated to be around 10k concurrent players. 5 metros/5 castles is 10 dragons. That is 0.01 % of a server population with access to flying mounts. (barring timed egg drops which will NOT be common).
    Tvm! i really wanted this information. :smile:
  • Options
    I'm glad they are keeping flying mounts to a minimum, the introduction of flying mounts in World of Warcraft completely killed World PvP and it was a huge shame.

Anything that ensures players are forced to interact with each other in some way is only a good thing, removing the community aspect from most MMOs was the worst thing to happen to them.
  • Options
    Flying mounts will be restricted to certain players and the dragon eggs which are supposed to grant a dragon mount for a limited time, other than that the 'flying' mounts can only travel in the air for short periods of time.
  • Options
    I agree that flying mounts can ruin the game in so much that it takes away the player appreciation for the level design and makes PVP random and/or unfair.  

With that being said, I would like to see a system where you can knock players off any flying mounts implemented by either hitting it with a siege weapon or doing damage past a certain threshold. 
  • Options
    Correct, and much need danger to makr momemts memorable 
  • Options
    While this is Steven's current stance on the subject, it's still not a guarantee that they won't add it in the future.  Especially if they shift focus for the direction, or if the game starts progressing into newer content areas.  Hell, they could even introduce a dragon/magic island that's secluded and cut off.  An island where there could be all kinds of flying type mounts, and even aerial battles.  My point is, never say never, even when it comes straight from the horses mouth.
  • Options
    Please, both gods of Verra and desires of IS, do not let there be widespread flying mounts...
  • Options
    ^ Flying mounts and fast travel will kill the game if not handled with extreme care.
    A lot of the time content is based on giving players choices on which way to tackle it and which consequences they want to face; but the ability to simply bypass it all together takes that choice of consequence away. You simply bypass the consequence.

I wish I could frame that better, but I am failing epically lol.
  • Options
    @Rune_Relic I get what you are trying to say. What they need to do is make it so people who go to idiotic lengths to avoid mob fights and so on are made to go through the intended content. A bunch of different mmos where people come up with elaborate jumping puzzles to avoid fighting 2 or 3 packs of mobs. Make it so anything you skipped comes into next boss room. Flying is a similar thing. Resource gathering used to be a cat and mouse game if you were trying to gather in an area that the mobs either were too tough, or came in such numbers as to make the gathering worthless. Flying in WOW, just hover, wait for mob to path away if it does, drop down, harvest, mount and avoid. Want to avoid all that pesky pvp on the way to your pve dungeon? Just mount up, fly over the conflict zones and you're there. They have released a good amount of information on flying, the restrictions they envision, and reasons why it won't work for their game. We just have to trust they stick with it.
  • Options
    ^ thanks @UnknownSystemError
    Thats more cohesive :)