Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

2021 or 2022?

Looking at the development cycles of other similar games what's a realistic release year for a truly complete and polished game?  I just don't see 2020 happening.....

Comments

• Options
    And opinions are just that......
  • Options
    I cannot see the future, I understand stats always have outliers, and I don't bother to compare a new studio to previous studios, but I'm saying.... 2020...
  • Options
    The ease of use with UE4 really sped up developement time, we can assume that the addition of MMO veterans doesn't hurt, and the very well defined plan of the studio founder means that the developers aren't feeling their way in the dark but rather assembling a product according to a "blueprint".
  • Options
    Possibly not, but then again they have been in development since last year. So by 2020 it is going to be 3 years which is pretty typical for mmo's, depending how many resources they invest into the studio
  • Options
    They have been on track and very steadily progressing, other projects that consist of separate development teams run by separate companies hold no bearing on Intrepid or AoC. 
  • Options
    well you still have the alphas and betas to play so its not really a problem ^^
  • Options
    Actually the game is going to get released at 2052,
    but still before than Star Citizen
  • Options
    Kandy said:
    Actually the game is going to get released at 2052,
    but still before than Star Citizen
    so true
  • Options
    so the day before the day before never.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    so the day before the day before never.
    It is the end time, the end times are coming
  • Options
    As no one can accurately predict the future it's all speculation. But we can make a few educated guesses based on what we know.

The evidence we do have:

-Alpha 0, or friends and family Alpha was on time, and has been ongoing since Dec 2017. 

-Intrepid has been steadily adding new staff.

-Alpha 1 has been promised by the end of 2018

-They have planned 2 Alpha and 2 Beta phases

-Their goal is 2020 release 

-Games sometimes get delayed for various reasons

-We have not seen a need for Intrepid to significantly delay or push back anything yet, which would support things are going well, but that's speculation.

The following is 100% speculation/wishful thinking.

So, based on the little info we know, added to a lite speculation, I don't see any reason they don't hit the 2020 mark. Maybe not Jan or April 2020, but I could easily see Alpha 1 lasting 6-9 months, then Alpha 2 (persistent Alpha) lasting 6-9 months, which puts us, worse case scenario in starting Beta 18months after Alpha 1 starts. So if Alpha 1 starts December 2018, we are sitting at a May 2020 Beta test. Beta could possibly last 6 months, both phases lasting 3 months each. That takes us to Nov 2020 and launch. The lengths of each test phase is 100% speculation and based on past Alphas/Betas I've been in.

I think it's entirely possible, although optimistic and my numbers could be way off. I know XL developed Archeage for only 2yrs prior to Korean launch and BDO took almost 5. 

Crowfall might be a better comparison because it's also an MMO supported by a Kickstarter. It is supposed to be released this year, and was announced in Jan 2015. So 3 years and some change from announcement to launch. Given this time frame, Ashes was announced Dec 2016, so 3 yrs takes is to Dec 2019, add some change, takes us into 2020. 

So it's entirely possible we see a 2020 launch. If not, 2021 for sure

• Options
    Excellent example of critical thinking, @Karthos.
    I wish more people were as cognizant as you.
  • Options
    I am fairly sure it will make the 2020 date. It seems on track so far.
  • Options
    And opinions are just that......
    5 years doesn't seem like an unreasonable time frame to do what they have to do and get it right.
  • Options
    Camelot Unchained which is being developed by an industry veteran is 12-18 months off schedule but that doesn't mean it's bad, or wrong; it just means they hit a couple of snags getting things tuned just the way they want them to be.

In the end it's a good thing.  Preliminary releases are bad.

--That's what she said.

Wait a minute, we can't have discussions like this on the forum.

Uh oh......
  • Options
    They have said multiple times that the extended KS goals (Stock Exchange / Underwater Content / etc.) might not be released at launch. So if those came out at the same time in the first big update then everything playable between launch and that update could be considered preliminary.

That said, as long as any MMO continues to update an argument can be made that said MMO is always in a preliminary state when compared to a possible final product. That said, WoW would still not be a final product with no "full release date" given.

If they release everything except for some of the more in-depth KS goals in 2020 I would consider that a good/full/as-promised launch.

I think most would agree with me here that, if they chose not to release in 2020 due to not feeling as though their product was completed, but launched in Q1 of 2021 I would be happy.
  • Options
    Ill say 2019 Q4