[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sound

I just watched a video of their recent in game alpha demonstration and something that always bugs me was apparent. 

The enemies are deaf. If it doesn't happen in front of them, they don't notice. I swear I hear someone get fireballed behind ME I will turn to see what the hell is going on. So skills, weapons, armor all should have a sound rating. Block a hammer with a shield, the impact noise of the shield and the impact noise of the hammer are combined. That sound has a range and enemies inside that range will turn to see what the heck is going on.

Out in the Over World, you're guarding a 3 vehicle caravan. Mounts and Men around it as guards. All that sound combined with a degrading addition. No adding 10+10+10+10 for 40. More like 10x3.3 = 33  The more people there are the lower the multiplier. Territorial critters will hear it. Bandits will hear it. Hell player swill hear it.

Caravan... LOOT or Enemies in our territory! or Well boys, looks like we got gifts from <name of town> coming our way. Lets go get them.

Of course those who are timid or afraid of so many will run away. It will also make dungeons that much more interesting.

Comments

• Remember, what you've seen is optimized content.   

From the most recent live-stream you'll even hear Steven say that the way the monsters respond is based on it being geared for the testers in Alpha Zero while they get everything on the back end squared away.   

This is fairly common practice and stuff you'd see in early Tech Testing. 

Generally you'd never be able to see the game while it was still in this development stage.   Intrepid is sorta breaking all the rules when it comes to MMO development.  They've invited people behind the curtain to see what the wizard is doing.

• I heard it, just wanted to toss my two cents out there and hope it might, in some form or another, be added.

I played FFXI for years and the undead couldn't see you with no eyes but they could darned well hear you.