Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Family names?

Curious about role playing decisions here - do people tend to use family names for their characters, especially if alts are "related", or do you think of each character without any family name or backstory? 

Personally, I'm debating class decisions and will likely leverage that for some form of a "family" name, but curious which direction people see themselves going.

Comments

• For me, it depends on what game I play. If it's a high fantasy game I try to make my own lore and backstory and that it but in other games like FFIX or guild war 2 I use family names as my wife also plays with me. It really is up to the person and the game I find
  • Personally I would prefer that all characters on same account share a (publicly visible) family name. So you know who is who when they are on alts.

However I suspect some people would not like this, since they would like to use their alts to spy, or kill other people, while still keeping their "good name" on their primary character, pretending they are of "high moral".

So I suspect we will be able to name all our alts differently.
  • Gothix said:
    Personally I would prefer that all characters on same account share a (publicly visible) family name. So you know who is who when they are on alts.

However I suspect some people would not like this, since they would like to use their alts to spy, or kill other people, while still keeping their "good name" on their primary character, pretending they are of "high moral".

So I suspect we will be able to name all our alts differently.
    There will only be one character per server. The devs said they would make the name space large enough for family names. Personally, I like using family names, but it does depend on the game. 
  • @SalNts_Shinobi please expand, what do you mean there will only be one character per server?

I like using surnames, but wouldn't call them family names since I don't "relate" my alts or my characters to other PC/NPC's.
  • Azathoth said:
    @SalNts_Shinobi please expand, what do you mean there will only be one character per server?

I like using surnames, but wouldn't call them family names since I don't "relate" my alts or my characters to other PC/NPC's.

My bad. It wasn't said, I thought it was. they actually said there will be no specific barriers.