[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

House Building

When building a house will players be able to mold the land to how we want it? For example would we be able to dig underground or into a mountain for a house

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    You will not be affecting the terrain in large ways to remove blocking terrain features. You will be able to place freeholds underground if you can find a large enough space that fits their requirements.

• Terraforming won't be a thing, which is good because then the world will stay preserved.
  • Actually the world will change noticeably over time, terraforming and changes to landscape are a functions of node and content, just not direct player actions like digging voxel holes in the sides of mountains. They have hinted at occasional radical transformations. Also since they are able to restrict access through terrain to form natural barriers and borders, this allows them to add new nodes and land through "events." Like a major earthquake has shifted that mountain range and opened a pass to lands that were not accessible before.
  • Actually the world will change noticeably over time, terraforming and changes to landscape are a functions of node and content, just not direct player actions like digging voxel holes in the sides of mountains. They have hinted at occasional radical transformations. Also since they are able to restrict access through terrain to form natural barriers and borders, this allows them to add new nodes and land through "events." Like a major earthquake has shifted that mountain range and opened a pass to lands that were not accessible before.
    Yea, I just meant player terraforming. We won't be able to carve out a slice in a mountain somewhere and what not.
  • And yet player developed content such as selling building materials require a source such as a quarry (big mined hole).  
  • If early man could not contemplate 0... could they contemplate a hole as a volume of nothing
    :smile:
    edited April 2018
    If you build a freehold in the zone of influence of a stage 3 node, and that node is knocked down to a stage 2 node, do you lose your freehold and everything in it?
    Aslo, can other players "siege" a freehold like they can a town? Can other players destroy your home?

• @wired172 The freehold will disappear but your blueprint for it as well as the stuff you had in it will be returned to your inventory.
    Not sure about the 2nd part, they can be attacked during a siege as far as I remember so I don't think that they can be sieged on their own. I suppose it's kind of a save zone for yourself as long as the node city is not under siege, not sure tho.
    edited April 2018
    Grisu said:
    @wired172 The freehold will disappear but your blueprint for it as well as the stuff you had in it will be returned to your inventory.
    Not sure about the 2nd part, they can be attacked during a siege as far as I remember so I don't think that they can be sieged on their own. I suppose it's kind of a save zone for yourself as long as the node city is not under siege, not sure tho.
    So the first part is correct from the info we have been told. If a node decays or is knocked down to level 2, the freeholds would be packed up and put into a state that would allow you to place it again somewhere else. Along with everything in it and your layout. Your decorations and furniture would not have to be placed and adjusted and such.
    For the second part, your freehold can indeed be attacked but under a very limited set of circumstances. If the controlling node whose ZOI you fall under loses a siege, there is a following two hour window where freeholds are able to be attacked. How tough they are to burn down has not been clarified yet. People who attack it will be able to loot gatherable materials, the same as if you were defeated in pvp combat. They will not be able to loot items or currency. (currency is not stored at a freehold and it is never lootable). They have not said how much of a freeholds inventory of goods they would be able to loot. <Speculation>Expect a system similar to what is employed for caravans. In the case of eligible freeholds to be attacked, people will most likely enter a pvp bubble around it and have to declare attack, defend, or ignore just like with a caravan. So if you lose your siege, you better bust ass back to your freehold with some friends to hold off the pillaging hordes.
    edited May 2018
    Thanks alot for the info., that clears things up a bit.