Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering

"Regardless of how you gather your resources, we believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator..."

This is from the ashes front page under Gathering and Crafting, and I thought it was funny how they say "Regardless of how you gather" because, I'd like to know how gathering will work in the game.

will it be as simple as walking up to a flower on the floor, and pressing E? Or is there even a little more detail to it than that? I forgot the name but there was a fantasy Victorian horroresque MMO in development that sounded too promising to be true and it seemed that was the case because they had to shut down development until they could solve a money issue and didn't want to crowdfund. 

The way their gathering seemed to work, they were making it so, you didn't just pick up every plant and utilize all of them, but rather you'd pan in, view the plant at a very close up angle, and then have different actions you can take, whether it was lifting a leaf to see if there were parasites, or inspecting it visually to see if it was bad exc. then harvest specific parts of the plant. there might be a spot with 10 or so flowers, and you might have to inspect a number of them before you find one you're satisfied with. 

This is just a cool Idea I was using when I was working on my own project, but for mines, as the node advances it'd be cool to see if there were expedition quests that unlock a new part of the mine, maybe new ores, or a hidden dungeon, or path into the underrealm. Like there's the predetermined layout of the dungeon, but a simple wall that expands into another predetermined layout that's now accessible. I'm assuming the server won't utilize voxel technology.

PS. Can someone add me on Discord and send me a link to the discord, or show me where I can join it? RiverBird#4489

Comments

• Options
    The one Discord quote we have about gathering I will add below. They have said that gathering "nodes" will not have a set location and will move. Will not be like other games where you know that copper is always in this location, hit it a few times with your tool, and move 20 feet to the next spawn, then rinse and repeat in a cycle. That resources like mines and such will become depleted, disappear, and reappear somewhere else on the map randomly. Not in the same node possibly, but somewhere in the world. So people who cluster around that silver mine will at some point have to rethink their economic choice when resources possibly become depleted. Very little has been released on crafting and gathering.

• Options
    RiverBird said:

you didn't just pick up every plant and utilize all of them, but rather you'd pan in, view the plant at a very close up angle, and then have different actions you can take, whether it was lifting a leaf to see if there were parasites, or inspecting it visually to see if it was bad exc. then harvest specific parts of the plant. there might be a spot with 10 or so flowers, and you might have to inspect a number of them before you find one you're satisfied with. 

This is something I take great interest in. I've always hoped to have a very interactive environment in an MMO. So climbing over fences, up trees, climbing ropes and ladders, climbing up the side of a mountain, etc. If I want to pick that apple high up on the branch, can I climb the tree? Grab a ladder and use that? Will I damage some of the herbs while harvesting? What if I hit a vein too hard and damaged a jewel, making it unviable? 

I always found it annoying waiting 3-5 seconds while my character is "gathering herbs" with their nyehehe plotting evil animation in front of a bush.