Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Legendary (tamable) creatures?

So,

I've also posted this on the discord questions channel, BUT for the people who don't go there ->

I had a very interesting discussion about the game with my guild and at some point we started daydreaming and making up stories and things like that.
Them being stories though didn't mean that they are not viable.

What do i mean by legendary creatures? Well, similarly to legendary items and recipes, which you can only have 1 of on a gives server at the same time. Well, the items anyway, what do we know about the legendary recipes? Will they be 1 time use? Or will they be restricted to 1 per server (like the item itself) - IMO the better option?

So you would have creatures that are so unique that there is only 1 of them in the world. They can be tied to a certain progression path of a node with certain events that have to unfold before this creature appears. I am not necessarily talking about a dragon that wants to burn your whole family alive.

Maybe a giant see turtle that you can use for see travel and build a special castle on it's back.

Maybe a unicorn that has special healing powers and only appears after a great calamity (the dragon for example) to restore balance.

Maybe a giant Bahamut of a creature that cannot be tamed, but via a quest line you can lends it's power for a period of time. Essentially like the temporary dragons from eggs, but this guy would be amazing for breaking walls down. It would become a token with a timer in your inventory and disappear off the face of the world.

Special legendary creatures like that, that would require great effort from a group of players to obtain it (via taming/capturing system) or lend it's power for a time.

Comments

• Options
    I have no objection to such things. In fact I welcome them. But they need to belong to the node and not the player or the guild or the group.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I have no objection to such things. In fact I welcome them. But they need to belong to the node and not the player or the guild or the group.
    Well, similarly to legendary weapons, you would need a whole guild involved in capturing that creature. I don't see an issue making it a guild beast OR an asset of the node it was captured by. The rulers of the node will have control over it and so on.

It's not that hard to balance it into the system, so i think we should have stuff like that :-) 
  • Options
    I doubt something that only 1 person can have will appear in the game, the rarest so far are dragon mounts which will be given to people with high positions of power (it won't belong to them but the position itself) so that could be classified as a legendary creature, in regards to the 'lore' aspect of this all I would find it very unusual that there is only 1 legendary artifact of each type in the whole world and only 1 powerful creature :3

In regards to the tokens that only 1 person at a time can posses then there would need to be time restrictions on it so they can't keep in infinitely. Also the sea turtle thing, there is already a kickstarter reward that is a sea mount that looks like a turtle.
  • Options
    I doubt something that only 1 person can have will appear in the game, the rarest so far are dragon mounts which will be given to people with high positions of power (it won't belong to them but the position itself) so that could be classified as a legendary creature, in regards to the 'lore' aspect of this all I would find it very unusual that there is only 1 legendary artifact of each type in the whole world and only 1 powerful creature :3

In regards to the tokens that only 1 person at a time can posses then there would need to be time restrictions on it so they can't keep in infinitely. Also the sea turtle thing, there is already a kickstarter reward that is a sea mount that looks like a turtle.
    I think the turtle in the KS is quite different than the example i made as a legendary creature. Really they are just examples. The point is the principle - having something that is unique and doesn't have an equivalent in the world in that given moment - only 1 can exist. You capture it (by you i mean plural) through some great trials and reap the rewards for a given time.
    Never said it has to be a 1 person thing. You would need a lot of people to capture the beastie and then it becomes a guild/node asset depending on the effort that was put in to capture it.
    You don't give 1 person power, you give a whole group of people power, but in reality only 1 person will be able to control the beast (control in the sense of movement and actions made by the beast) at any given moment.
    Like the siege summons that would require for example 5 summoners to work together.. Only 1 of them will control the thing and tell it what to do. That doesn't mean you give that individual power.

P.S. I think Steven himself said that legendary items would be a 1 per world at a given moment. To give you an example - you won't have a server full of people running around with Excalibur. You will have a server where 1 person runs around with Excalibur - until the item breaks or something like that and has to be crafted again.
    Don't see a problem with that.
  • Options

I think the turtle in the KS is quite different than the example i made as a legendary creature. Really they are just examples. The point is the principle - having something that is unique and doesn't have an equivalent in the world in that given moment - only 1 can exist. You capture it (by you i mean plural) through some great trials and reap the rewards for a given time.
    Never said it has to be a 1 person thing. You would need a lot of people to capture the beastie and then it becomes a guild/node asset depending on the effort that was put in to capture it.
    You don't give 1 person power, you give a whole group of people power, but in reality only 1 person will be able to control the beast (control in the sense of movement and actions made by the beast) at any given moment.
    Like the siege summons that would require for example 5 summoners to work together.. Only 1 of them will control the thing and tell it what to do. That doesn't mean you give that individual power.

P.S. I think Steven himself said that legendary items would be a 1 per world at a given moment. To give you an example - you won't have a server full of people running around with Excalibur. You will have a server where 1 person runs around with Excalibur - until the item breaks or something like that and has to be crafted again.
    Don't see a problem with that.

This clears it up :3 well as long as there is no permanent 1 of a kind item/beast then I'm fine with it.

I do understand the idea with the items and all there can't be as you said 100 excaliburs in the game that's silly, but there can be a Gram and an Excalibur that's what I meant :3
  • Options

I do understand the idea with the items and all there can't be as you said 100 excaliburs in the game that's silly, but there can be a Gram and an Excalibur that's what I meant :3
    What's a Gram?
  • Options

What's a Gram?
    A unit of measurment for weight... Actually it's the name of a legendary sword in Norse mythology
  • Options
    Public Event Incentive, have players participate in public events over and over again that all player shows of all levels would enjoy grinding.
  • Options
    Would your tamable epic beast be killable by enemy combatants?

I'm thinking of a phoenix like creature that is unique to the server but will be recapturable upon each rebirth. 
  • Options
    I dont mind tamable beasts of high caliber being part of nodes or guilds. The major incentive could be military advantage during a siege. Such as a tamable unicorn could provide aoe heals or something during a siege battle. These creatures would have to be extremely difficult to obtain due to the advantages they may provide.