Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What will religions offer?

So, yes...

What will religions offer?

Maybe a special quest line to prove yourself to the set god?
Maybe at the end of this quest line you are visited by that god and he bestows you with his blessing (essentially a special buff)?
Or they give you the power for a player to become their avatar and grant them a 1 time use skill which gives them special powers?

I get the RP aspect, but I'm not asking about that.

Comments

• Options
    Sighs. Give me a buff. Make me stronker and stronker than everyone else.
  • Options
    A temporary buff, or maybe a temporary skill for you to use? Being blessed by that god.

Dunno, just shelling out ideas that i think would be easy to implement.
  • Options
    Of course a religion to the glorious divines must have crusades to expel the heretics from our holy lands....

Seriously though there isn't much on the religion aspect yet but it won't be small for sure given that the divine/religious node is centered around well religion :3
  • Options
    A temporary buff, or maybe a temporary skill for you to use? Being blessed by that god.

Dunno, just shelling out ideas that i think would be easy to implement.
    Meh. Ignore a jaded old fart ;)
  • Options
    I have Hope that we will see a "Nature" theology dedicated to Vera. Temples and priest hood are fine for standard pantheon but irrelevant to a wilderness Ranger.
  • Options
    Steven has said that religion will give you augments to your abilities. It also decides who is the leader of a religious node. Other than that, we don't know yet xD
  • Options
    There was mentions in the past by Devs that there would be quests (narratives) attached to the religions as well as the various organizations (thieves, scholars, etc).

So in that respect I think we could expect to see similar rewards from other Narratives, just focused around the religious plot points.

As for what those rewards might be? While a buff might be nice I think it might be more interesting if there was some sort of unique mechanic that only worked on others of your faith. So YOU were able to grant a buff to others in your faith even if they had not completed the narrative quest. Marking your character as one of the truly faithful and promoting the insular aspect that arises from many faiths. Entire guilds or even cities might be focused around a specific faith so they can best take advantage of this buff sharing.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I hope to see the religious choice make some greater enhancements and modifications to some classes more than others.

Clerics for instance could benefit from having different healing focuses depending on their religious, for example following one god may focus on the light and an emphasis on dropping big heals and one may focus on nature and have an emphasis on HoTs, perhaps a darker religious has an emphasis on leeching health from enemies and transferring it to friendly players, etc.

Religious could do a lot more than just simple flavour changes, it will be super interesting to see where they go with it all.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Araga
    Problem there could be the false prophet scenario where its just a buff for the boys kind of thing thats open to abuse.
    If that can be avoided then I agree there are positives.

I often differentiate the religious school from the magical school in one specific way.
    The magical arts use 1st party agency.
    The religious arts employ 3rd party agency....they dont have personal skills in magic but rather use that of others..the gods.

I would also like to consider the dualistic nature of gods. Should a buff by one god result in a debuff from another ? Gods can be petty :D That is one way to ensure balance that wont destroy the game. It would also kind of enforce the gods to vie for power because the buffs and debuffs one build would like, does not mean everything else would also like. That creates a conflict of interest and tension.
  • Options
    I think that it would personally be interesting to see a player run cult arise to power and the server would have to decide how to handle that issue. 

Additionally they might trigger events that bring their faith into a more substantive form in their ZOI and thus create a Scarlet Crusade, Covenant, etc sort of story for that server to play through.

Can you imagine telling people you took part of the Crusade against the Hob'blorps on server Kimmil? And how they in their cult beliefs sacrificed 500 players to summoned an avatar of their cult that became a world boss for the players to fight.

I would tell that story with the same dramatics of any of the great battles of the ages.
  • Options
    Araga said:
    I think that it would personally be interesting to see a player run cult arise to power and the server would have to decide how to handle that issue. 

Additionally they might trigger events that bring their faith into a more substantive form in their ZOI and thus create a Scarlet Crusade, Covenant, etc sort of story for that server to play through.

Can you imagine telling people you took part of the Crusade against the Hob'blorps on server Kimmil? And how they in their cult beliefs sacrificed 500 players to summoned an avatar of their cult that became a world boss for the players to fight.

I would tell that story with the same dramatics of any of the great battles of the ages.
    Well...the scenario you created does sound fun. Must admit. :D
  • Options
    I would like to see artifacts within the religions that are rare, but offer players interesting abilities.  DnD also has some interesting artifacts that give buffs, but have a very long cool down.  I.e. the wabbajack from skyrim.  I expect there to be armor sets and dye sets as well.  I definitely see there being jewelry for the religions that give buffs.  I also think there will be a religion for each subclass of the races, so 9 including the tulnar.
  • Options
    False hope and discrimination like reality. Lol. Kidding. A rez once a week? Random monthly quest chain to keep getting said rez.  Getting benefits from religions should involve either time or money in order to get the benefits even if it is just buffs.
  • Options
    Religions will offer a guilt debuff and a continuous money sink to temporarily buy off the guilt.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Araga said:

I too think this would be interesting to see.  I would start the cult of Moriir.   Also known as Elkintrut and you must sacrifice all your cow elk to me
    Just kidding but it would be interesting to see what kind of cults players would come up with :smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I am curious how full bodied each religion is. Will they have different rules? For example the bird diety worshipper wouldn't eat poultry. Will they offer different afterlives? Will there be books or scrolls with tales of messiahs?

Or will we be simply worshipping extremely powerful beings.

Rather than buffs I'd like to see different rez processes with different religions.
  • Options
    +2 to Imagination