Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Reasonably Good Freehold?

I honestly still think that freeholds will cause a real geographical challenge. I learned this first hand as an Everquest Next participant.  At the launch, everything was taken, as I am an average player. May I suggest that freeholds may be combined in villages up to 20 to 100 investing players?  Personally, I love villages, though they are susceptible to zerks. How do we avoid that popular demand freeholds don’t overwhelm servers such that newer players are denied land because they come too late in the evolution of a server? Has this been addressed - 'don't worry there is plenty of suitable land for all who wish their own freehold.' One needn't be a prophet to see the impasse.  Please don't hesitate to post quotes or provide insight. I trust this subject may be redundant, but was it answered? Thank you.  

Comments

• I honestly still think that freeholds will cause a real geographical challenge. I learned this first hand as an Everquest Next participant.  At the launch, everything was taken, as I am an average player. May I suggest that freeholds may be combined in villages up to 20 to 100 investing players?  Personally, I love villages, though they are susceptible to zerks. How do we avoid that popular demand freeholds don’t overwhelm servers such that newer players are denied land because they come too late in the evolution of a server? Has this been addressed - 'don't worry there is plenty of suitable land for all who wish their own freehold.' One needn't be a prophet to see the impasse.  Please don't hesitate to post quotes or provide insight. I trust this subject may be redundant, but was it answered? Thank you.  

What can be created in Ashes can also be destroyed. There will be a continuous cycle of creation and destruction, ensuring that things remain accessible to new players throughout the life of the server.

For example, if you start 3 months down the track and the node you settle in is at town stage, then there might be a number of freeholds, houses and apartments scattered around and nothing available within your price range, but ... along comes a siege and your town is delevelled and some of the housing is destroyed, opening up the market for you to get in on the ground floor again.

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/node-series-part-2-metropolis/
  • There will be a cap of Freeholds per node. So not everyone that is a citizen of a node will be able to get a freehold. 

That being said, nodes will be attacked and possibly destroyed which will allow new players to try to snatch a freehold.
  • The world is going to be huge.

Given that Freeholds and housing is a key part of the game, I doubt we are going to see Freeholds be uber rare.

Now, the pimp ass housing in the node itself?  Yeah, that's going to be uber rare.

Freeholds....  I have a good feeling that freeholds will be plentiful.   Especially since they are selling freehold building skins in the cash shop.

Would be a bad backlash if you sold skins and then only a small fraction of the population could actually get a freehold  
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    As nodes grow, their area of influence grows and the amount of placeable freeholds increases as the lesser nodes become consumed and level locked. Might imply the number of available freeholds scales with node size so remains a net constant.

They know exactly how many players will be on each server as there is a limit. So I would find it curious if they hadnt taken into account housing for each servers player.

City housing as instances will be available though. So whether its a case of shoving the majority into instances and a few into freeholds (or vice versa), remains to be seen and confirmed.
  • I doubt a mistake like lack of land would be commited by IS, there has to be at least sufficient land to accomodate most players afterall citizenship in a node is only proven by owning a house and the houses in the metro are limited.
  • You can place a Freehold on any level 3+ node. And that is also the current cap of a node if there is a nearby higher level node. 

So in theory you could have a world that is full of level 3 nodes and a handful of 4,5, and 6 level nodes. Given the size and that not all of the player base of a server are going to want a freehold you should be able to find space even if it is not the exact location you want it to be. 

Also I think there is going to be just as much competition over freeholds near cities as there is going to be for far off nodes where you can either "get away from it all" or as a secret base that you or your guild has to plot from, hide, or store resources.
  • I think one of the important factors if you can't build inside the node is to build a freehold right outside the border of level 3 node.  That way if and when it ranks up to 4-6 and expands its borders you'll now be in the node with a snazzy house, thus securing your spot.