Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Where Does The Power Really Lie? Guilds or Nodes?

I've been thinking lately about how the intersection of guilds and nodes (citizenship, governments, etc.) will play out in the power/influence dynamics of a specific server. Do you see guilds and their leaders exerting more of an influence over the land, or do you think more influence will be brought about by the citizenry and government of various nodes?

I personally feel like guilds will ultimately be the movers and shakers of server politics and influence. On one hand, I see the nodes looking towards the plethora of guilds that their citizens are apart of to organize and defend the interests of the node as well as deliberate with them on what policies should be implemented, meaning that "power" rests more in the hands of the guilds. 

On top of that, guilds will most likely be more focused and organized than a collection of random players that make up a node and my not be as loyal to their government as a guild member is to his/her leader(s). Also, it is not as if guilds are tethered to nodes as they can conquer castles and "own" the three respective nodes in that castles ZoI. 

Where do you think most of the power/influence will lie? Guilds? Nodes? A mix of both?

Comments

• Options
    I still fail to see how a node won't be synonymous with guild.  A guild doesn't have to have 100% of a node's population.  As long as a guild and its children guilds are the most dominant force, they are the node.  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I think the guilds will be like political parties. Constantly fighting for control of control of power in the node. 

Maybe not in military nodes where one person can win control with a tournament victory.
  • Options
    Guilds and organizations will have quite a bearing on everything. That is my guess, but ultimately if they WANT to be the leading influence they won't be able to do it on their own. They will have to strike compromises with people/guilds/organizations outside of their own group to keep them happy and engaged on the chosen node.

Let's do some rough quick maths on this. (Disclaimer: this is not to be taken serious please, it's just some random quick maths thought process)
    Currently planned are 10.000 people per server. Let's say a server has 9.000 actual players. It all ranges between semi active to active players.
    There are 5 achievable metropolises that need maintenance to stay a metropolis.

Let's say every other activity not directly involved with nodes divert attention and in turn maintenance away. That would be the 5 castles and quite honestly I can't think of anything else since even those are connected to nodes. Crafting with all it's precursors, dungeons, regular task/quest PvE, and so on directly involve the node.
    Just RP and wilderness exploring could be considered completely cut of from maintaining a node actively but yeah let's call that a 1000 strong population that will never contribute to the maintenance, just because.
    I wanted to bring the number down but as you can see, that's quite hard. For the sake of argument, let's say that all those activities that do not involve doing quests/task for the node give reduced maintenance.
    Let's just cut it in half for that to 4.000 people. Spread them around and we are at 800 people per Metropolis Zoi.
    So quick mathing this you could assume that around 800 people should be around any given metropolis. Depending on how harsh you want it to be to maintain a metropolis you could assume to need 300-800 people that semi-actively to actively contribute to the maintenance of a node. (after all I did to bring the number forcefully down)
    I would be quite amazed if there are enough guilds around that could maintain a population inside their guild large enough to sustain a metropolis at least.
    Conclusion: Something smaller, probably for sure but then the node is automatically inferior to a metropolis and thus making the guild less influential.

• Options
    Power never lies in a single spot.

Power is always distributed over different factors. Some of the power will lie in nodes and their leadership, some of the power in guild leadership, and some of the power in each individual player.

Power will also shift dynamically, so amount of power that different parties (or individuals) have will rise or fall over time depending on circumstances.

So while on one server most power may lie in certain node, on another server it might be different story. And over time this all can (and will) change.
  • Options
    Wow i know for a fact you guys are not on your phones to type that wall of text.... Well my answer is guilds, a good guild can accomplish anything
  • Options
    We won't truly know until we get to see the system implemented with lots of folks influencing it.

That said, it's going to be a significant challenge to implement something where massive guilds, even if divided by membership caps into smaller allied guilds, won't be the dominating factor wherever they chose to focus their influence.   Nodes grow by activity.  Very large organized groups have both the ability to more quickly level the node(or nodes) they are currently focusing on and hinder the growth of adversary nodes or nodes made up of unorganized small groups and individuals.   Or simply outright siege and take or destroy a node with overwhelming numbers.

Look to recent PvP oriented games like Archeage, Albion Online, Black Desert Online, etc. - even with some intentional developer attempts to tamp down zerg tactics, large groups of organized players(guilds and alliances of guilds) are the overwhelming dominating power.  It's just the basic nature of these types of massively multiplayer games.
  • Options
    I would like to think it will go down similar to how @Althor indicated.
    My hope is that there are enough smaller guilds to counterbalance the forces in Economic and Scientific nodes. Forcing those that are node leaders to not listen to just one guild, but as many guilds and players as possible. In the end, if you don't like the way a node is going you can move. Enough players move and the remaining guilds and government will stagnate.

As for the Religious and Military nodes, I both expect and kind of desire a single guild with alliances to control those nodes.

Ideally for me, guilds will have enough stuff to do with content, castles, and religious/military nodes to be less effective (as a single power at least) in the economic/scientific nodes.

Either way, I am going to be happy to see it unfold, change, and play out.
  • Options
    Nodes. Numerous Guilds will make up the populace of Nodes. 
  • Options
    Nodes. When a node comes under attack the whole node will be defending it whether they are in a guild or not. Every player attributes to the node no matter what guild or not.
  • Options

We the Masters of the Universe guild have the power, as plan our next moves in the Guild hall of Castle Grey Skull. HAHA

Anyway, think on the lines of Game of Thrones when it comes to the power, and I believe the guilds will hold that power, and the nodes are only the tool to use for that power.

• Options
    No strong guild the Node is ill defended and unsustainable. A strong guild can have a weak under  Node.  A node is reliant on an active guild and the guild relies on the node being defending and active to ensure their membership stays interested in the end goal

• Options
    edited March 2018
    The question really is can a node be just as efficient as a guild.
    As both are no better than their members, I would say yes.

A guild can never be any more powerful than the nodes they exist within. If the node fails the guild fails (in game at least). If the node doesnt keep all its members happy it will collapse or stagnate and many of the node members will not belong to the guild anyway. Especially as it grows. Node membership does not require guild membership, anymore than being a resident of a nation requires belonging to a political party.

So as said above, i see guilds as political parties too. Groups of people with their own agendas that will try to get as many people as possible to support their agenda. They will try to shape the node in their image. If the residents agree, they will succeed. If the residents dont, they wont.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Most power lies with the sandal enterprise.
  • Options
    Efroc said:
    I've been thinking lately about how the intersection of guilds and nodes (citizenship, governments, etc.) will play out in the power/influence dynamics of a specific server. Do you see guilds and their leaders exerting more of an influence over the land, or do you think more influence will be brought about by the citizenry and government of various nodes?

I personally feel like guilds will ultimately be the movers and shakers of server politics and influence. On one hand, I see the nodes looking towards the plethora of guilds that their citizens are apart of to organize and defend the interests of the node as well as deliberate with them on what policies should be implemented, meaning that "power" rests more in the hands of the guilds. 

On top of that, guilds will most likely be more focused and organized than a collection of random players that make up a node and my not be as loyal to their government as a guild member is to his/her leader(s). Also, it is not as if guilds are tethered to nodes as they can conquer castles and "own" the three respective nodes in that castles ZoI. 

Where do you think most of the power/influence will lie? Guilds? Nodes? A mix of both?

Guilds run notes
  • Options
    Guilds might run notes, but it has yet to be determined if they will (or can) run nodes.
  • Options
    The power is with the players. 
  • Options
    makinoji said:
    The power is with the players. 

More precisely with the players who know how to use their brain and play smart and organized. And then playing skills are an extra bonus.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll go with depends on the people who run the node. A node needs organised players, if they can't run the business the node won't survive. 
  • Options
    I myself think the power will lie with the guilds. That being said I think if a guild wants to achieve real power then may have to have alliances with other guilds who may a call a node other then the one the first guild calls home. So basically two different guilds set up home base in two different nodes you have a working alliance to help keep both nodes strong.
  • Options
    All above and more.  It starts with the game just having players, then it depends on the guilds. I am still a bit off in how this system of picking leaders will take place but surprises are good right?
  • Options
    All above and more.  It starts with the game just having players, then it depends on the guilds. I am still a bit off in how this system of picking leaders will take place but surprises are good right?
    Indeed surprises add interest and eliminate boredom with the mundane. I wouldn't go as far to say they are always good though.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Indeed surprises add interest and eliminate boredom with the mundane. I wouldn't go as far to say they are always good though.
    :lol:
    Surprise ganking squad or pregnancy are two examples :neutral:

• Options
    It seems to me that this will be a virtual social experiment worth observing and I may have to write a paper on it. A military zone will have a power base turn over regardless of guilds. Economic  zone will end up in the hands of a single large guild by default. Technology dominated zone will need guilds allying. I have too little context to predict divine factors but one can assume it will also take several guild alliances.You bring up a very intriguing subject.
  • Options
    Guilds will be in control of the castles which is ok they will run that part of the game and compete with each other, node community will be the biggest force on each server, depending on the node you might have 3 -4 large guilds or 12 small ones running a node. In the End it depends on how they work together, thats why i still stay by my point of saying that guilds wont matter as much in this game as in others.
  • Options
    I hope that there will be a Castle and maybe 4 or 5 guilds work together to defend the Castle so you would have one "royal" guild and maybe 4 friendly guilds so you still have the Chance to act as a guild but stay as a node together  
  • Options
    That would be a cool alliance, but I am under the impression only the guild that is in possession of the castle will gain it's benefits. So it might be a more Rome, kill the current emperor to become emperor type thing...
  • Options