Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should a duel have more meaning?

What is a duel anyway? A contest to see who is the better fighter, or bragging rights to show off your skills? At times I found this practice to be a pain in my butt. Why?  Cause your out hunting in the wilds, then you have some jack off requesting to duel you, I say no and here they come again. Most of the time a NPC monster is coming after me, and yet this joker still wants to duel. (gasp)

Anyway, I was thinking, when it comes to AoC how can we make this more meaningful. Sure you can say you want to duel, but why not add options to the duel?

It is a contest after all, so why not kick it up a few notches. One idea is simple, add an item to fight over, winner takes all. So for example one players puts up a sword of greater strength and the other person puts up an item of equal value, the two then duel, and the winner would win the items.

Then you have handy caps, so lets say you a caster, and your fighting a range person, you could limit what type of specials you can or can not use for the duel. Even with pure fighters, maybe you say fists only in one case, with no armor buffs, and still your fighting to gain a special item from the other guy.

I find just having a plan duel is ok, but why not spice it up a lot more?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    There will be a toggle to auto-decline duel requests to stop people from spamming a macro to try and block up your screen with popup windows to cut down on response time during pvp actions. Leave it on when running around, turn it off when you want to have fun with someone that you have planned to duel.

I don't see them adding a betting/wager system to it. The system from what we have been told tracks all trades and sales and looks for abnormalities. It would just add another layer for them to sort through to look for gold sellers trying to launder to and from customers. "Thank you for you purchase, our rep will meet out outside Strawberry Twinkle node gate. Remember to accept duel and once you have won (our rep doesn't fight back) the 100k gold you purchased will be transferred."
  • Options
    There will be a toggle to auto-decline duel requests to stop people from spamming a macro to try and block up your screen with popup windows to cut down on response time during pvp actions. Leave it on when running around, turn it off when you want to have fun with someone that you have planned to duel.

I don't see them adding a betting/wager system to it. The system from what we have been told tracks all trades and sales and looks for abnormalities. It would just add another layer for them to sort through to look for gold sellers trying to launder to and from customers. "Thank you for you purchase, our rep will meet out outside Strawberry Twinkle node gate. Remember to accept duel and once you have won (our rep doesn't fight back) the 100k gold you purchased will be transferred."

You don't see it as of right now, but who is to say they won't add it later? If enough players want a system like that, I can see it being done.
  • Options
    Keep it simple. Leave duels basic.
  • Options
    They could add a whole lot of things if they wanted to. We don't know beyond what they have already come out and said. Could they add Unicorn mounts that fart rainbows because enough people ask for them? Sure. When they have gone to great lengths from day one to cut down on botting, gold selling, and RMT. Have spent thousands of hours of development time in making sure the systems in the game are trackable and give the the data packets they need to monitor for dodgy activity. Are working with a couple different 3rd party vendors whose companies focus are on providing methods to combat ways to hide transfers of items/gold for said dodgy activity. Sure. They could cut off their own nuts to make some players happy, I just don't see it happening. Then again it is all speculation at this point.
  • Options
    I have no interest in duelling and I probs won't ever do it in AoC.  That said, if there was some sort of incentive I might consider it.  I'd have to be really freakin' bored though! :p

Btw devs, an auto decline feature would be fantastic.
  • Options
    @Swiftsaddler There ya go. Confirmed last year.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    @UnknownSystemError I really should've read your post from earlier ;)
  • Options
    I wouldn't like to be forced to wager an item if I just want to spar with a friend to test this new skill I learned, or to see how this new item I got affects these particular skills, or if I just want to fight him for the lols.
    Just leave it simple like xombie said and if the people dueling want to wager stuff. Let them go through the old fashioned way and just trade the stuff honorably at the end of the duel no need to burden the devs with this mechanic imo.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd like simple duels.

If duels would be enhanced I would like it to be so not only individually can duel, but parties as well.

So besides simple "duel" option in user UI, you would also see "group duel", and then you could mix and match your party and duel as you wish, even in uneven numbers, even 1 vs 8 if you consider yourself THAT good.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I've never enjoyed duels. Always seemed very Rock Paper Scissorish to me. I'm not opposed to adding spice and variety to any aspect of the game though.
  • Options
    Would depend for me. I would prefer to see duels just being duels. I would hate to see people benefit from them because then that is all we are going to see.... players dueling each other in town for rewards. Wagers could be a good idea if its optional and done right
  • Options
    It's a nice idea to add more "value" to the duel - especially if you're going to offer something of value.
    However, I think this system would be way too easy to be abused without an extreme amount of control.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    I wouldn't like to be forced to wager an item if I just want to spar with a friend to test this new skill I learned, or to see how this new item I got affects these particular skills, or if I just want to fight him for the lols.
    Just leave it simple like xombie said and if the people dueling want to wager stuff. Let them go through the old fashioned way and just trade the stuff honorably at the end of the duel no need to burden the devs with this mechanic imo.

It's not too force you to wager something, just an option to do it. all I am saying add more options to the duel, not force you into doing what you don't want too. besides the #1 option to any duel, DON'T Do IT.

• Options
    Would depend for me. I would prefer to see duels just being duels. I would hate to see people benefit from them because then that is all we are going to see.... players dueling each other in town for rewards. Wagers could be a good idea if its optional and done right

The main point was to offer up something you have, vs what the other player has. It would be of equal value, and really not giving anyone an advantage in the game. Maybe that person has the last piece of a suit of armor your collecting, but you don't have the money, so they say you can duel for it. But at the same time, you have to offer out something of equal value. Maybe that guy doesn't want to just trade for it, so you fight for it. To make sure you get the item, it's setup in a trading hold, and the winner gets the items. That's just one option I would like with Dueling. Others have added have group duels, that I would love to see too. At the end of the day we just want to have more options within the dueling system, and that is never a bad thing. IMO.

• Options
    I think offering up a item for a duel if you want is a awsome idea. Wouldnt hinder anything. Would just be an extra plus.