Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Voice Chat In-game?

Will Intrepid Studios be working on making voice chat a functional feature in the game? MMOs fail to introduce this. Would be cool if this was on Intrepid's radar. An idea though... As Discord is now a leading voip company. Why not work with them? Ashes of Creation can be the first game to have integrated Discord features. Join Discord, link Ashes of Creation, verify your guild in-game to your verified Discord. Once complete, you can only join guilds Discord voice channels in-game. That way only guild mates will be able to have voice without having to leave the game and maintain a connection to those not in the game. Win-win. Unique. It will HYPE AoC even further. Only problem would be establishing a partnership. Another idea would be proximity chat in group or guild party with a function to mute others. (No general voice) That would be an invitation for disaster. What do you guys think about Voice chat in MMOs? Yes? Why not? Intrepid is it possible? Still very early in development that it can be inplemented in time and be made a core feature. Yay or nay? 😀

Comments

• Yes, it has been confirmed a couple times the there will be an optional voice chat system in game. You will opt in to participate or not, preventing abuse. Like the creepy French guy who used to hang around the bank and sing "Ohh, Thank heaven,.. for leetle gurls!" in another mmo that had proximity voice chat activated that you had to set to off. Fun times for people who didn't know it was an option and couldn't figure out where the toggle was in the options.
  • I think they said that there will be a party and raid chat but no proximity chat. I´m not 100% sure tho.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    If the do prox chat, I'd like an option to turn it off. It would be fun for RP but not so much in other aspects if the game where tempers flare.
  • Voice chat was confirmed and is a great idea as long as it's group only. Would not want hundreds of players screaming all over the place :3
  • I'm against it.  Programs designed for it are going to do it better.  There have been MMO's with, including WoW, but it never took hold with the players.  That has to say something about the desirability of such a feature, especially when you weigh that against the engineering effort.  
  • If I remember, correct me if I am wrong, they are working on a partnership with discord for their ingame voice chat.

They did say that it will be in a couple of categories; global, proxy, guild, group. I might be forgetting one or accidently adding one.

• @UnknownSystemError
    That's awesome! This is a feature I welcome with wide arms.

@Quev, @Karthos, @AutumnLeaf
    Yeah! As long as we get options to disable and keep it within group only. I don't think there should be an issue. I really want this to be a thing especially since they're going big with this. Why not?

@tugowar
    I agree with you to a certain extent. Its not a popular feature and in most regards unwanted. I'm biased though in my want for voice chat. I really want this! That being said, I think when I say, as long as they do it correctly the desirability versus engineering would balance out. I can be wrong.