Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should crafting with each Race be different or the same over all?

When I think of crafting, and your going to have different races, the style of the item being crafted comes to mind. Now I know this takes coding to do, and really do we want to have different sets of armor different in the game? ..........

Well YES!

If your a Human crafter, don't you think what your crafting as a human, should be very different from what an Elf makes? How about a Dwarf, when they make their items, it shouldn't look like what a human makes right?

All I am saying is this, if node towns will take on the style of the race that helped it along more, don't you think crafting should follow along these lines of Race style too?

So a bow made between the races, should follow their style.

Same for armor sets, and the blade weapons.

IMO this will only make the game deeper, if you have these different styles tied to the Race that made it.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• I am hesitant to vote on this because I know what I would like and I also know what is probable. Different race armor would be awesome,  But for the beginning maybe this should not be a priority because making various different types of armor for the various races is alot of work which is time spent doing other more important things such as getting the game as a whole right.
  • Identity matters :open_mouth:
    If players will be able to put their own individual stamp on anything the craft, then I could be quite surprised if races and even classes did not have their own styles.
    But I wholeheartedly agree that there is plenty of time for such things after the game is released. The cherries can wait, the cake is enough for me.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I think how you learned to craft and who you learned to craft from should impact your products. If you studied with dwarfs then what you make should have some dwarven styling etc.

• Stats equal (for balance purposes) but item skins (appearance) different.
  • I really would like to see regional differences, but it really depends on stats with armor. I would like to see different styles/designs that are race or regional based, but have balanced base stats overall. (Not sure if I'm explaining that right) But, I would like to see some racial and/or environment bonuses such as mountainanous regions being able to craft gear with an applicable winter weather bonus that could give +10% additional damage against mountain beasts or ice based mobs. Desert crafters could maybe add bonus stat on boots for increased movement speed over dunes. This might increase trade between nodes for those specific stat differences. 
  • I assumed that was going to be standard practice, but maybe not.
    I think each race should make default looking items with racial flare added based on the 'level/rank/power/etc.' of the weapon.

Then again, there will likely be cash shop skins for all weapons to give a solid variety. You just can't by the skin, apply it, and then sell it with the skin as a craftsman.
    ...i think, i thought skins from CS were Account Locked, which makes me wonder if all CS items will be AL..? (crossing my fingers and wishing yes)
  • We already have component based crafting and there would be quite a burden on art and coding to represent even that. Asking to have 8 distinct styles based on race and sub-race (which are divided by very jarring differences) is a lot to ask.
    It would be cool, yes definitely but I say this is outside the scope of the game.

Also it brings in the trouble of having to find someone who can provide a full armor set. What about the question that a dwarf is incapable of making any other styled armor? Now this dwarf can't compete just because he is a dwarf and the vast majority doesn't like the style of the dwarfs armor? I don't know, sounds bad to me on a gameplay level.

If he can learn the other "skins" with ease, sure why not, but then again back to the beginning of my post.
  • There should be similarities between the same races but I would very much like for it to be unique in it's own way. You also have to make sure to remember that if a craftsman follows a schematic to craft something it will most of the time be the same no matter the race.
  • Azathoth said:
    I assumed that was going to be standard practice, but maybe not.
    I think each race should make default looking items with racial flare added based on the 'level/rank/power/etc.' of the weapon.

Then again, there will likely be cash shop skins for all weapons to give a solid variety. You just can't by the skin, apply it, and then sell it with the skin as a craftsman.
    ...i think, i thought skins from CS were Account Locked, which makes me wonder if all CS items will be AL..? (crossing my fingers and wishing yes)
    Everything cosmetic is account locked. While there may be crafting appearances in game that are limited recipes, there won't be a system where you could craft an iron dagger and then try to sell it as +5 Vorpal Bunny Slayer in appearance duping customers into paying for something if they don't pay close attention to every sale.
    edited March 2018
    Talynnda said:
    I really would like to see regional differences, but it really depends on stats with armor. I would like to see different styles/designs that are race or regional based, but have balanced base stats overall. (Not sure if I'm explaining that right) But, I would like to see some racial and/or environment bonuses such as mountainanous regions being able to craft gear with an applicable winter weather bonus that could give +10% additional damage against mountain beasts or ice based mobs. Desert crafters could maybe add bonus stat on boots for increased movement speed over dunes. This might increase trade between nodes for those specific stat differences. 
    Thats an interesting concept actually.
    I was thinking the other day about terrain based modifiers....quicksand, ice, marsh/bog, jagged/rocky, lava, poison, acid etc.
    I started thinking about crampons and other such tools that enable people to conquer differing environmental obstacles or at least make their traversal easier.
    So this terrain biased, native crafting, kind of gels well with that.
    Natives are masters of conquering  their native environment after all.
  • I think perhaps all races could craft the same armor. Like a human and a goblin make the same types of bracers. However the type of armor is where the similarities stop. And that each individual race apply a different buff or school of magic something along those lines. Like the human bracers give a fortitude buff while the goblin bracers help you bargain with traders for a better deal of something along these lines. I am not even sure if implementing something like this would be to large of a scale of a task or not considering the amount of items that can be crafted  and races in the game but it sure would be cool.
  • I also was under the impression that each race adding it's own flavor to their crafts was already a thing
  • Talynnda said:
    I really would like to see regional differences, but it really depends on stats with armor. I would like to see different styles/designs that are race or regional based, but have balanced base stats overall. (Not sure if I'm explaining that right) But, I would like to see some racial and/or environment bonuses such as mountainanous regions being able to craft gear with an applicable winter weather bonus that could give +10% additional damage against mountain beasts or ice based mobs. Desert crafters could maybe add bonus stat on boots for increased movement speed over dunes. This might increase trade between nodes for those specific stat differences. 
    Cool Idea.
    edited May 2018
    I think that race -probably via racial augments or racial recipes- should alter some crafting, like food, mounts and pets to fit the racial themes of the racial culture.
    Perhaps mounts bred by Vek are bigger, stronger and slower, with high stamina compared to Py'Rai mounts which are sleeker, fiercer and quicker, with high dexterity.

• Dygz said:
    I think that race -probably via racial augments or racial recipes- should alter some crafting, like food, mounts and pets to fit the racial themes of the racial culture.
    Perhaps mounts bred by Vek are bigger, stronger and slower, with high stamina compared to Py'Rai mounts which are sleeker, fiercer and quicker, with high dexterity.

This is where I would like to see differences as well. Perhaps with dynamic crafting we will be able to see some of these influences. Static crafting for universal items. Dynamic for possible race specific changes.
  • I'd like to see some racial differences.  My vision would be that you train for items that pertain to your race, but you can learn other races' style and stats with recipes gained thru loot, purchased from merchants, by breaking down items, or traded recipes.
  • One question I did not get to ask was whether with this idea of PvP crafting, we could reverse engineer another crafter's item. An attempt has a high risk of losing the item without the benefit of knowledge, but there is a small chance of learning part or all of the recipe.
  • I believe Steven has stated that there will be no separate PvP crafting and yes, there will be breaking down of items to learn recipes.
  • Kind of brings up racial tendencies. Remember gnomes in EQ used to be great tinkerers, and as the game matured it felt like it got nerfed. In my opinion, there should be some modicum of racial benefits in crafting and gathering. As example, Tulnar should be more efficient at making truffle trowels or domestication of boring beetles. 
  • @Fantmx and @T-Elf Yep, he has stated both. Discord quotes follow.

14:07] Separation of PVE and PVP, will there be different gear?

1. Monsters tend to scale faster the players how do you balance that.
    2. The gear you use for pvp will be the same you use for pve.
    3. More will reflect what kind of player you are.
      1. Dodgy, or slow tank, that’s what you gear for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsybteR44Q
  • If crafters from different races are crafting the exact same weapon, it should not automatically look or be different. If there is in some cases some racial bonuses involved, those can be added to the stats, but the appearance does not need to change. There can be items which are almost same, but crafted with different recipes. These recipes can be racial and every race could have easier access to recipes from own race. So the origin of the recipe should determine the crafted item, not the character's race.
  • I wonder if dropped items and crafted items equate to the same thing. For example Steven mentioned that there will be some items maybe only one crafter can make. Can those be broken down for recipes?
  • @Fantmx SWG had a similar system for armor and weapon attachments. In the early days if you were one of the first groups to get those drops you could take a risk and DE the attachments with an extremely low chance of learning the recipe. I got lucky on two that no one else on the server at that time had done and was able to corner the market for about a month. What happened is that you needed to sell them to other people you knew that either didn't have the requisite crafting ability or that you knew were planning to use them instead of trying to DE them. Since they were BOE, the chance of learning the recipe so small, and the price so high, many were not willing to take the chance. But sure enough after a good run of sales, the same attachments started appearing from other crafters from those willing to gamble.

We have no clarification yet on whether only "wild" items will give recipes, or will those crafted from those "found in the wild" recipes also yield recipe chances.
  • If they are going to have style for each race-made item then I think it should be learnable. I think a devoted crafter should be able to study armor/weapons/architecture to be able to learn how to make things in that style. The reason I want this is because sometimes people only want a certain look to their gear... and if I just happen to be a different race, I lose out on that sale. When ESO had the styles system I usually only created things in a couple of styles and some styles had virtually no requests for. So it is a nice bonus but only if they are all appealing. 

All-in-all I think this has as many pros as cons. More control/styles is always good for immersion/investment. More styles also means more occasions to not sell something because it looks "wrong". If styles can be studied and learned then it will set the dedicated crafters ahead of the casual ones (good thing).
  • I think at a higher crafting level you should be able to go beyond the "basic" platemail chest piece to invest a little extra materials making an Orcish piece, for example, if you were an Orc. That said, as you level higher you might consider heading to a city node in Elf territory and spending some time running quests for their smith to learn more about Elf smithing technique.

I do think that by default everything should be more or less the same, though, and that anything beyond that should require extra effort and not simply be handed to you for your choice of race.