Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cmon Guys

You honestly expect people to pay $500 for your alpha? Seriously? Not even name brands such as Bethesda require you to pay to get into an alpha and if so its under a hundred. No one knows of you nor your game and you're charging an outrageous amount for a ALPHA.  Dauntless early alpha was $75 for their highest founders pack which made them popular because a majority could afford it. If you want this game to succeed or be recognized don't set the stakes so high, you're nothing out of the ordinary. Another attempt at an MMO which I hope goes well, I really do, but when you charge a price so high, your MMO and it's reputation is instantly diminished. Take this to heart, your MMO looks great, but who would know. Do not want so much money, that is the curse of every kickstarter.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Err yeah. You arent paying that to play a game. There is little game to play at the moment. This is for limited testing and not mass marketing of a fully functional product. Those people paying the money is to help with backing of which you also receive much of that back as released game time and cash shop items.

I find it hard to see how your nose could be put so far out of joint. The released game will be $15/month. Nothing more and nothing less. No one is forcing you to help with testing and development. There is no pay2win aspect of being in alpha or beta, as you are exposed to partial aspects that may or may not be in release and not the full game. And any progress is wiped at release if not repeatedly wiped in testing.

Alpha and beta testing is a privilege and not a right.
  • Options
    Uhm, a lot of the content in the pack is in game currency (embers) and game time. So no, you don't pay 500 USD for "getting alpha". Also, it is optional. None is forcing you to buy it. 
  • Options
    This is what you are getting for the $500 package. It is not just alpha access!
  • Options
    @Soupkirby
    I am not mentally ill and spent close to that in the KS. I have an awesome, privileged life that I work many years to accomplish, so it wasn't too much for me.

Plus, during KS it came with LifeTime sub plus a bunch of other stuff. The name reserves for character/guild were huge points for me.

Sorry you missed out on that, but it sounds like you wouldn't have wanted to pitch in for that either.

You should wait for the actual game to release so you can just pay to play.
  • Options
    My point is you have a new game, a new mmo and you charge 500? That is stupid, I say this because every mmo has to build a community and the best part of them is playing alpha and beta and testing the devs game. No other game charges this much, the purpose of kickstarter was to back this game. If their is no alpha and beta open to people that want to play this game, then your community will be lack luster. There is a whole discord who agrees. If you expect people to spread the word of your game as well as spend 15 a month in the future, then yeah alpha and beta is a privilege. Fortnite technical alpha was free, For Honor technical alpha was free, Sea of Thieves beta was free, all these games that are funded and made by well known brands didn't have a fee so suck money out of people. You are delusional if you think this is good marketing.
  • Options
    @Soupkitchen Welfare gaming is dead. You don't want to support the development, then watch a stream. God knows there are going to be alot of them come Alpha 1 release. Amazingly they only needed around 10k people to test a server, and now have 5 times that from just reported numbers we know about. The locusts that like to float from free game beta to beta, slam it because they don't like <insert anything> and then move on to the next free thing are going to sit on the sidelines and sit this one out. Swing back around in two years and give it a look. Then for the price of shoving one less cheeseburger in your piehole a week you can experience the live release joy.
  • Options
    All I can think when I read one of these "gimme free access" posts is that my name better get drawn for A0 before the squeeky wheels... If they are even doing those at this point. 

I'm ok with testing periods being *gasp* testing periods for IS and a reward for backers. Doesn't have to be a marketing tool.
  • Options
    @Soupkirby
    The game doesn't cost $500, it's (supposedly) going to be $15/month.
    There is a community here that is happy to pay the cost to get into the testing phase, as numbers will show come Alpha-1. Access was likely predetermined to be limited, so instead of raffling access they auctioned it.

Also, I hope, that everyone in those Test phases understand it's a test and not a game. I can't wait to see all the crap reviews Ashes has when Alpha 1 goes live and those wanting 'early access' flame it... although, there will likely be legitimate negative reviews to.

I'm sorry Ashes won't be free to you as much as possible knowing many willingly paid for it. As for a "whole discord" that agrees, I guess we could get an entire "thread" that agrees with charging for it. So...

May I ask, why do you want to Test this game so badly as to complain you think it should be cheaper or free?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

star citizen

I'm pretty sure chronicles of elyria sells 10k packages aswell

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Soupkirby said:
    You honestly expect people to pay $500 for your alpha? 
    Path of Exile currently has a $480 pack that offers nothing other than cosmetics. It is a free game to play, as well, so it isn't even like that $480 is offering game time like the $500 pack here is doing.

People buy things like this because they want to support the work a developer is doing. If you do not want to support the developer, that is fine, you are not being forced to do so.

As an FYI - Path of Exile, a FREE game, at one point in it's beta had a $12500 (not a typo) supporter pack that - yes - people bought. Some people are happy to use their credit card to support games they are excited about - and some aren't.
  • Options
    Soupkirby said:
    You honestly expect people to pay $500 for your alpha? Seriously?
    No bro... Why would they expect us to pay $500 for the alpha? They can't expect us to do anything at this point in time because we simply don't know what they're capable of (they know this) but what they can do is lay it out on the table for us and let us choose what we'd like on our plates. If I want to dish out $500 on a package, I will and no one should be able to stop me because it was my choice and I'd like to support the game. You've clearly already made your choice by not purchasing one of those packages and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I know you may feel a little left behind but why should you? It's not like the games offering P2Win features. Come back before launch day and you'll realise that this thread was completely pointless and wasn't worth neither your or our time.
  • Options
    Reading is a useful asset.
  • Options
    Azrael007 said:
    Soupkirby said:
    No bro... Why would they expect us to pay $500 for the alpha? They can't expect us to do anything at this point in time because we simply don't know what they're capable of (they know this) but what they can do is lay it out on the table for us and let us choose what we'd like on our plates. If I want to dish out $500 on a package, I will and no one should be able to stop me because it was my choice and I'd like to support the game. You've clearly already made your choice by not purchasing one of those packages and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I know you may feel a little left behind but why should you? It's not like the games offering P2Win features. Come back before launch day and you'll realise that this thread was completely pointless and wasn't worth neither your or our time.
    If no one knows what they (the devs) can do and they (the devs) know this then that doesn't explain the price, no logical middle class citizen would buy the $500 pack or any pack under $200. I don't want free access, but after watching trailers and getting hyped, this is a giant turn off for me and my friends interested in helping this game grow. I love MMO's and have gotten alpha for many. Lemme get a picture of a piece of cheese, say this is the best cheese ever, everyone will be buying this cheese, once my market grows it will be twenty dollars a pound, BUT if you want to help me start up this game and support me now before I am big, you have to pay 500 for this cheese. I simply don't see the logic, nothing against the game nor its fans. Thank you all who actually replied with valid counter arguments.

"Come back before launch day and you'll realise that this thread was completely pointless and wasn't worth neither your or our time." -Azreal007 
    You misinterpret this threads purpose, not to bitch but to ask why, thanks for partaking all sarcasm and satire aside. 
  • Options
    Soupkirby said:
    Azrael007 said:
    Soupkirby said:
    If no one knows what they (the devs) can do and they (the devs) know this then that doesn't explain the price, no logical middle class citizen would buy the $500 pack or any pack under $200. I don't want free access, but after watching trailers and getting hyped, this is a giant turn off for me and my friends interested in helping this game grow. I love MMO's and have gotten alpha for many. Lemme get a picture of a piece of cheese, say this is the best cheese ever, everyone will be buying this cheese, once my market grows it will be twenty dollars a pound, BUT if you want to help me start up this game and support me now before I am big, you have to pay 500 for this cheese. I simply don't see the logic, nothing against the game nor its fans. Thank you all who actually replied with valid counter arguments.

"Come back before launch day and you'll realise that this thread was completely pointless and wasn't worth neither your or our time." -Azreal007 
    You misinterpret this threads purpose, not to bitch but to ask why, thanks for partaking all sarcasm and satire aside. 
    If you really want to help the game but don't want to put $500 down on it right now - which is perfectly reasonable imo - then just get the $75 pack.

To me, it seems like you just want access to an early alpha but don't want to pay $500.
  • Options
    @Soupkirby
    I am very logical, in fact my college career was dedicated to logic.
    If you don't want to buy something because you think it is too expensive, that is logical. If you think it is illogical for others to do it because of the way you feel, that is not logical.

Using the cost as your main point is also illogical. I am not a millionaire, but I would assume one has little to no care over dropping $500 on a game they might like to play. However, someone with 2 jobs, 2 kids, and a mortgage might think dropping $500 is insane.

Your point is based solely on perspective. Some here disagree with that point of view. Others, as you have pointed out, don't.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Paying for 12 month in game time for an alpha and 150 of in game credits for their marketplace. Two things that aren't needed.
  • Options
    @Soupkirby
    This is a game in development not cheese. No one in their right mind would pay 500$ for cheese. 

Spend 500$ on AoC though, and come launch you will not be sorry!
  • Options
    Soupkirby said:
    lexmax said:
    Paying for 12 month in game time for an alpha and 150 of in game credits for their marketplace. Two things that aren't needed.
    That 12 months in game time starts from release.

Once again, if you don't want to pay it, don't. I bought the pack that cost the amount I was willing to support Intrepid with, I don't even know what came with it, to be honest.

I've said it in this thread already, but it seem to me you just want to play a free alpha. Why would Intrepid let you play alpha for free if you have no intention of supporting the game post launch? What value do you offer the alpha process if your opinions are not those of someone wanting to actually pay to play the game?
  • Options
    You know what? There's no point of debating in such a pointless thread. We gave you our opinions and now we'll let you decide whether its worth your money or not. Take all the time you need as there is no rush ( = Have a nice day!