Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fashionistas stop your madness!

Graphics and art are integral to an inspiring game experience. Fashion choices, skins and vanity pets are fluff. Let's focus on good mechanics and realistic in game responses over the kind of  flash and fluff that other game developers have used to distract from incompetent code.If our potential community focuses our forums on fashion over form can we complain if the developers waste resources to give us irrelevancies over substance?

Comments

• Options
    Well, we complain about most everything they do to some degree.
    Cosmetic implementation will be important, if they game doesn't look desirable it won't be to a large number of people.

I do think Ashes should focus first on their core mechanics though.
  • Options
    I must admit that I do have a degree of concern with all the cosmetics being shown and promised compared to the rest of the game features. I am just hoping that they are waiting to give us a load of information at the upcoming events (GDC and Pax).
  • Options
    One thing I absolutely do not want is for a character artist to get involved in the coding of this game.

If an artist has produced the required art for the game to function, I see no harm in them then focusing in on some fluff. There are a lot of people out there that consider aesthetics to be important, and they pay the same sub as everyone else.

While I agree with the current concern some people have about the cosmetics that we have been shown, my concern is about the style of them rather than the time spent.

Saying that, I would be far more concerned if Steven told us all that he sent one of his best character artists to work on a game breaking code bug...
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    One thing I absolutely do not want is for a character artist to get involved in the coding of this game.

If an artist has produced the required art for the game to function, I see no harm in them then focusing in on some fluff. There are a lot of people out there that consider aesthetics to be important, and they pay the same sub as everyone else.

While I agree with the current concern some people have about the cosmetics that we have been shown, my concern is about the style of them rather than the time spent.

Saying that, I would be far more concerned if Steven told us all that he sent one of his best character artists to work on a game breaking code bug...
    Yeah, if they have produced all the required art already I am fine with them working on a bunch of vanity items. But, I doubt that they are done designing and creating the whole world of Verra already.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    The goal of any MMO is too maintain it's Player Base (the Community) & Subscription Numbers
      • EA should take note how i mentioned Player Base as the utmost-top-priority OVER Numbers ...
    The best way to do that is too Craft Ashes of Creation with Utmost-Difficulty and/or
     " a Hardcore-aspect " in mind.
    • Such as having a very intricate & complex Builds and Movement Shenanigans via Action-Combat-Movement Abilties ... and other attributes to consider. Although the QTE was not liked ... at least that shows that Intrepids are truly putting Ample thought into this - as a KickStarter Backer ... that really makes me happy. And i hope others appreciate how thoughtful that is ; it lets us know what sort of  Seriousness  the Devs' Mindset are ... EDIT: In regards to not making a WoW Clone 
    • ( in some degree/ to an extend/ in a way )
    • And/or being able to tinker/ make small changes to Armor-Pieces ( via Necklace, Gaunlets, Bracers, Leggings, Chest-Piece, Helmet, etc ... ) or small changes to any Passive-Traits/ Passive-Attributes. There truly is lots to consider, but we need to Intrepid's 1st Iteration of these Systems in place - to see how they function ... how does each systems feel ? Would it feel Realistic but still appealing to the Mysteries of Magic ? 
    ... And i got a strong feeling that we'll see that in Alpha Phase 1 (hopefully) . But I'm confident we'll see those 1st Iterations before Beta 

(though i have no proof, but still hoping)

However, MMORPGs are also supposed to be very Social - almost like a 
    " Multi-Real-Time-Group-Chat " ... but with Fighting-Gameplay involved "
    • Which is why VRchat is going to definitely succeed with just that Social-Aspect  in mind  <~<
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Make no mistake though .... the Fashion involved in an MMO does reflect how much thought was put into the MMO to a certain extent (imo) . So it is important ... to an extent

• It's supposed to Reflect the ... " Different types of Tones " of the MMO World itself
    ... so that's why ... when I see Half-(lewd)-Nudes Outfits in the Cash Shop ... its very disheartening to say the least
     *cough* BDO *cough*
  • Options
    I NEED TO LOOK FABULOUS IN GAME AND OUT! BLARGH
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Yeah, if they have produced all the required art already I am fine with them working on a bunch of vanity items. But, I doubt that they are done designing and creating the whole world of Verra already.
    Right now, no they haven't finished creating Verra.

However, Steven has stated that they have time slated for vanity items (including those for sale in the shop) just prior to launch.

In other words, they are not working on them right now.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    Zastro said:
    Right now, no they haven't finished creating Verra.

However, Steven has stated that they have time slated for vanity items (including those for sale in the shop) just prior to launch.

In other words, they are not working on them right now.
    But they are taking time to create the production art for them when they could be making production art for other more vital things....like the the Orcs xD
  • Options
    While absolutely true, I don't consider the half hour or so it would take to do all the art for the new cosmetics to be relevant.

It could have been done on a tablet on the bus, to be honest.
  • Options
    You are probably right. As long as it doesn't affect them working on the actual game, which I'd like to believe it isn't, them its fine with me. I only debate this because I don't really care about cosmetics all that much, so having new cosmetics come out faster than other information about the game is making me all the more anxious lol.
  • Options
    I hope just hope there is lots of uniqueness to each character, even if my robe was red vs the common black.. I would be happy. Lets hope they put there time towards the game and forget about cosmetics.