Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Summoner Class Design- What the people want?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully they aren't too reliant on the summon, I'd like to see a healthy balance between player and summon utility.
  • Options
    Xombie said:
    Hopefully they aren't too reliant on the summon, I'd like to see a healthy balance between player and summon utility.
    I am not a fan of pet style play either, so i guess i would like to see different kind of variations of playstyles. On top of pet system there could be also summons which are more like long lasting spells than actual pets. Maybe you can call dragon f.e. to fly around for a while and do some AoE shit and then fly away. Or i would like to see possessed or shapeshifter implemented, where player turns to summon itself. That can also be temporary boost and not permanent if wanted.
  • Options
    Well, it would seem we know a few things about summoners, going by questions answered at Pax East a few weeks ago.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PAX_EAST_2018_Sunday_Steven_Q#How_will_summoner_pets_work.3F

Things you can summon will be different animals, potentially spirits or corpses. You’ll be able to achieve in-game items that can change the appearance or cosmetics. Some summoners will be able to summon multiple things. Others will be able to summon one powerful thing. Some summoners may not be able to actually summon ‘things’ anymore, so much as effects and temporary energies, depending on the secondary class you choose. For a summoner/mage, your summons could have an augment from a school of magic applied - a sweeping attack with a claw, bite, or rush, and maybe you took teleportation, then you could rush them, similar to a tank teleporting to target, or their claws could combust on striking the target, dealing burn damage. If your summon was originally a bear cat, you could get a translucent flaming bear cat.

With regards to siege summons, the size of the siege pets will scale incrementally based on the number of summoners in that activity, to a maximum of eight summoners. Such a full party of summoners can create a giant pet.

That last bit is the most interesting detail for me, this notion of siege summons. I would love to see a variety of these giant summons depending on the kinds of summoners present in the group.

• Options
    Well, it would seem we know a few things about summoners, going by questions answered at Pax East a few weeks ago.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PAX_EAST_2018_Sunday_Steven_Q#How_will_summoner_pets_work.3F

Things you can summon will be different animals, potentially spirits or corpses. You’ll be able to achieve in-game items that can change the appearance or cosmetics. Some summoners will be able to summon multiple things. Others will be able to summon one powerful thing. Some summoners may not be able to actually summon ‘things’ anymore, so much as effects and temporary energies, depending on the secondary class you choose. For a summoner/mage, your summons could have an augment from a school of magic applied - a sweeping attack with a claw, bite, or rush, and maybe you took teleportation, then you could rush them, similar to a tank teleporting to target, or their claws could combust on striking the target, dealing burn damage. If your summon was originally a bear cat, you could get a translucent flaming bear cat.

With regards to siege summons, the size of the siege pets will scale incrementally based on the number of summoners in that activity, to a maximum of eight summoners. Such a full party of summoners can create a giant pet.

That last bit is the most interesting detail for me, this notion of siege summons. I would love to see a variety of these giant summons depending on the kinds of summoners present in the group.

• Options
    Of the 4 arch-types I fail to see them as arch-types at all.  The first two would be bad regardless, though good for the player who does not know how to play.  

Having summons that merely work off an AI is a very bad idea.  The player just stands there and presses buttons in order.  

I certainly hope the game has much more depth than that.  I hope I get to control which target a summons attacks and get to choose when to do whatever special attack that summons has that is over and above it's normal attack.  

As at least one other has mentioned, we need to see what the devs have in mind rather than think we should do their job for them.  Then we can give them feedback they can take and decide if it is worthy of consideration.  
  • Options
    Ferryman said:.
    I am not a fan of pet style play either, 
    o:)
  • Options
    This is going to be a rant so be warned.

A summoner to me is a person who has a type of magic that can either create a being under the control of the caster, such as skeletons for necromancers or golems for brood warden (summoner/tank). The other case would be for you to bring a being to our world like the beastmaster could summon a ceribus for example. 

These being have no mind of their own or in the case of otherworldly beings, they have been bound to your will so they must do as you command. As you grow more powerful you should be able to summon more weak-willed summoners or fewer strong beings like demons or wraiths. 

Pets to me are well, pets they are already alive and apart of the world we are in so they are not created or summoned. They are being with there own mind and should not follow all of your orders especially in a combat situation. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Pets to me are well, pets they are already alive and apart of the world we are in so they are not created or summoned. They are being with there own mind and should not follow all of your orders especially in a combat situation. 
    Does it really matter if people says pet or summon if in this case they all mean the same thing? 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    nagash said:
    Does it really matter if people says pet or summon if in this case they all mean the same thing? 
    Well some games have summons and pets so it really does depend on where you come from I suppose 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Ferryman said:
    nagash said:
    Well some games have summons and pets so it really does depend on where you come from I suppose 
    Correct. I think people used pet word in this thread instead of summon, because in some games summons are not permanent, but pets are. But either way we are all speaking the same thing so it does not matter how people call those summons imo.

I dont personally like to play through permanent pet/summon and i like to focus only to do things through my character. Still i am interested of summoner, but i hope there is option to play it more like a caster with summoning spells or as possessed/shapeshifter myself. 

But because i know some people likes to play with permanent pet/summon, then i guess good option would be to have different kind of variations to summoner's playstyles. Where you could play it like you want, more like a caster or more like a pet/summoner controller. I think that solution will please everybody.
  • Options
    I think that's why there are eight subclasses of summoner so it should be fine. I personly like necromancer as I like having undead. The only game I know that does necromancers justice is grim dawn and Diablo, Guild wars one did a good job as well, but it lacked in some place. In the end, we should just make our own characters and play how we want ^^
  • Options
    @nagash
    I always thought of Summoned-Creatures to be as vast as
    " Yu-Yu Hakusho: Demon Class System " (below)
    I think i went into it in another thread - I thought of Summoned-Creatures like this
    • Lesser-Summon
    • Greater-Summon
    • Elder-Summon
    • ( couldn't think of any other Category surnames, hoping for more tbh xD )
    Each Summon will have an overall theme resembling the Magical-Elements
    • Fire
    • Water
    • Wind
    • Earth
    • Light
    • Dark
    • ( including Hybrids/ " Multi-Elementals " ?
    Including other aspects of Magic
    • Spacial-Warping
    • Warping
    • Twilight
    • Chaos
    • Time
    • etc ...
    I'm sure there are other things to mention for all of this, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

As far as the Summoner/Tank ... i think it'll be based on Summoned-Creature that'll define how the the individual-Summoner's style of Combat ; ever-changing depending on how diverse the Summoned-Creature does.

( but still favoring the Tanking-aspect )

@Shirikuryu , his idea of " Concentration " seemed to be a nice trade-off of being able to Summon many, but balancing how powerful they are with quantity. So props to him  :)  
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @nagash
    I always thought of Summoned-Creatures to be as vast as
    " Yu-Yu Hakusho: Demon Class System " (below)
    I think i went into it in another thread - I thought of Summoned-Creatures like this
    • Lesser-Summon
    • Greater-Summon
    • Elder-Summon
    • ( couldn't think of any other Category surnames, hoping for more tbh xD )
    Each Summon will have an overall theme resembling the Magical-Elements
    • Fire
    • Water
    • Wind
    • Earth
    • Light
    • Dark
    • ( including Hybrids/ " Multi-Elementals " ?
    Including other aspects of Magic
    • Spacial-Warping
    • Warping
    • Twilight
    • Chaos
    • Time
    • etc ...
    I'm sure there are other things to mention for all of this, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

As far as the Summoner/Tank ... i think it'll be based on Summoned-Creature that'll define how the the individual-Summoner's style of Combat ; ever-changing depending on how diverse the Summoned-Creature does.

( but still favoring the Tanking-aspect )

@Shirikuryu , his idea of " Concentration " seemed to be a nice trade-off of being able to Summon many, but balancing how powerful they are with quantity. So props to him  :)  
    This is a great example of what I meant it. Thanks ^^
  • Options
     o:)