Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

State of the Game

Hi.
I was a kickstarter backer of the game but was away from the forum and from the game news for some time.

I saw some comments about the game on reddit recently  and I am a bit concerned now. So I would be grateful for some information.

There are 3 topics which seem important to me:

1. Was there any new information about game mechanics for the last year? Because the most recent one which I see is Nods part2 from April 2017.
  2. Does the game still uses uses UE4 assets? Was there any progress in creating their own assets (which actually means starting creating the game)?
  3. Problems with Unreal engine:
    "UE4 is a very unforgiving engine. It is hard to develop with, especially the networking part. The net code bundled with the engine is not suitable for more than small multiplayer maps and it is a major extremely hard undertaking to develop an MMO net code layer."
    Is there any real (specific) information  how developers are going to handle this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    1. There has been ton of new info and questions answered mostly on their discord, so I would suggest checking that out: https://discord.gg/yYhrewd
    2. Yes they are still using UE4, but you have to remember they've created their own backend to work with the game.

• Options
    You saw something on reddit and became concerned? I'm sorry.
  • Options
    @Sarmat
    1. The developers have released several blogs, monthly livestreams and videos. They have also conducted interviews and released the game for Alpha-0 testing. Follow the links to get the info you require.

2. The game is in Alpha-0. This is a pre-alpha technical testing phase. Even so, As far as anyone with any can tell, the only stock Unreal asset they have used are some flowers.

3. Ashes of Creation features a custom Unreal Engine back-end with proprietary networking code to enable mass combat in the open world: such as PvP, Node sieges, Castle sieges, Dungeons and World bosses.

Unreal engine makes it really fast to iterate... Compared to other gaming engines, I can do something in a hour that would take eight hours to do in another engine. – Jeffrey Bard.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    @lexmar, thanks for your detailed answer.

1. I saw recent blogs, livestreams and videos. But I am speaking about news about smth that makes game unique - their own game mechanics (nodes system as an example) - I really wish there were smth less than a year old.

2. That's pleasant to hear. If it's true they really made some nice work already.

3. It seems the answer to my third concern is "There is no real proof for now that it can be done and all we can do is just wait" :) 
    But I am glad to hear that they are making their own custom back-end for networking.

• Options
    You're specifically looking for something less than a year old on mechanics/uniqueness...
    We have all been looking forward to that for a bit. We will have to wait for the A0 NDA to end, then we will have lots of information/opinions/videos/etc to pour over.

Hopefully you are willing to stick around and wait with the rest of us!
  • Options
    my message above is just  duplicate and wasnt meant to be posted :)
    Moderator, delete it pls.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    You're specifically looking for something less than a year old on mechanics/uniqueness...
    We have all been looking forward to that for a bit. We will have to wait for the A0 NDA to end, then we will have lots of information/opinions/videos/etc to pour over.

Hopefully you are willing to stick around and wait with the rest of us!
    well..
    I already started waiting
    actually I have been doing that for about 12 hours straight already..
    not an easy task :)
  • Options
    12 hours... Woooooweeeee
  • Options
    So
    almost half an year later do we have that information about game mechanics, about Nods?

As far as I remember there were promised 5 videos on the topic and last spring Shariff told us that they are working on the third one.

Was any video since then or we still have Nods part2 from April 2017 as the last one?
  • Options
    Some people just aren't cut out to be backers of a pre-release game.
  • Options
    You know, back before this modern age where we feel the need to broadcast our every thought and idea out in the world, and thus expect companies to act the same way, game developers would work on a mmorpg for about 5 years before they even announced it to the world.  

However, now that those days are long gone, the time it takes to make a complex multiplayer game still hasn't really changed all that much even though we have much quicker access to information seemingly on demand.  

Of course, being crowdsourced does inherently change expectations of players who become to some degree (arguably), producers.  All that being said, we all must practice patience if we're "hanging on for the ride" of this development.  

Rushing out half-gestated information to us merely because we clamor for it would be a mistake when the time it takes to put in well thought out creative ideas and effort yields far better results in the long run.  

We we all wanted to play the game we dream of, so let's give them the benefit of patience to shoot for that target!

😉