Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question

Hello, I've been part of these forums for quite a while already, and one thing that keeps coming up when someone has concerns is the reply.

"It's still early Alpha, don't worry about it."

I'd like to preface that up until this point, I sort of agree with it being somewhat early.
However, I'm not a professional play-tester, nor am I knowledgeable about game development, and specifically its steps.

So my question is ( I hope) rather simple. When is it a good time to voice concerns about decisions? When would it be too late?

I'd really like to know, not only for AoC, but for possible future projects I may choose to be part of too.

Comments

• Options
    I always thought you were a friendly, helpful person. This reply is incredibly passive aggressive when reading between the lines. And it was totally uncalled for, shame on you.

Your premise and analogy work for food, but I can just as easily say twist it around. An example would be. I've eaten many things in my life. I've tried many things based on my past experience putting an orange between it doesn't work. I can say this with confidence, as a bun and orange they don't mix well in your mouth.

So, the entire part of your last post is just venting frustration. Luckily, within the rude reply did give an answer. 

As far as the answer is concerned, you'll just have to play and mash buttons is hardly a proper answer, as the vast majority won't get to playtest, not until much much later. Unless, like I did, you buy a pre-order package. At which point, sadly most people tend to be bias, often without realising it. I've been guilty of this myself in the past with games like Spore or TOR. There's actually a specific term for this that eludes me at this moment.

So, as someone who actually is able to test, without breaking NDA, rather than being hostile and defensive. How about answering with positivity. Whatever concerns someone may have. Explaining why it works the way they do it is infinitely more helpful than simply silencing people, with empty statements like it's too early. You'll simply have to play. ESPECIALLY when you consider Intrepid Studio's policy on transparency. Like it or not, you, are representative of the community when you reply to people. And posts bordering on toxicity cleverly disguised don't make a good impression.

As I said, you were always helpful and friendly in the past, try and keep that up. 
  • Options
    You don't have to like my tone. You asked for an opinion and I told you mine. Now here is a link with Stevens from the PAX panel last year where he basically says the same thing. "Once people are in the alphas and betas" Timestamp 31:48
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcOdyuV0tX8
  • Options
    He says it a lot more diplomatically. But thanks, that was actually helpful. 
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError you struck a nerve with yet another carebear, you monster! 

When we start to begin persistent Alpha testing and work our way into Beta, that's an adequate time for concerns, not pre-alpha which is the current case.
  • Options
    Image result for you cant handle the truth gif
  • Options
    Alpha 1 and further, since potential players will likely be able to see what everything truly looks like and how things are starting to work.

Right now we have clips the devs have showed to encourage us to stick around, not to say 'look how awesome our game already is.' Then everyone starts reeling on them about art, combat speed, skill fx, etc. They say they are voicing their concern so IS knows, but that would imply they don't know their game is not up to par with a full release.

Complaining before you can try is odd to me. Imo it's similar to "that's not how I would have done it, why would you do it that way?" Which is fine, but a perspective judging how far a person would be in development in their own game with wherever IS is/was.

Sure, there are likely scenarios in RL where I would do this. Probably not 2 years before a product was finished and revealed as done though.
  • Options
    Beta is the time most of the general frameworks should be in place IMHO.
    Until then systems will be in flux depending on what they want to do, what actually can be done and what turns out to be a bad idea.

At least thats the time when you can probably decide if its going to be something you like or not.
    The Beta period should be for putting meat on the bones and filling in the fine details.
    Eventually polishing up and massive stress testing before release.
  • Options
    I think the earlier, the more chance there is for it to change. So you should voice concerns as early as you can. AFTER you have had the hands on experience. Not just basing yourself on art, concepts, or from watching someone else play. an MMO has to be felt to be understood. If it was fun to watch it would be a lot larger in the Livestreaming media.

• Options
    Call me a carebear all you want. I was not making a point with my original post. I was asking a question. Something which I was genuinely curious about. If feedback on systems is taken into account well into beta, that's excellent. I did not know this was the case.

And when you consider how to get in the alpha, the persistent one anyway, you can't get in without paying for a package, I won't be in before alpha 2 myself. Regardless of the combat and what not, this game sounds promising to me, promising enough to back it. My concern was more geared towards the future. As a game like this (MMO) especially with the node system requires a relatively large playerbase. Not to mention a varied one. And if and I say - if - there are systems that don't work too well, or are somehow detrimental to a majority of players. This is not good for the long term lifespan of the game. Look at Wildstar for example. Many players, because they have been burned in the past refrain from the whole preorder thing, or buying into alphas. I tend to be one of them. But Ashes promises something great, and I want in. Like everyone here. Nitpicking on animations is a little nonsensical, as they can be upgraded even post launch. But things like collision detection, which I support. Discussing that without a hands on, listing pros and cons is a good thing I would think 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    So your question is "when is it no longer 'too soon' to express concerns over the direction a project is headed?"

My answer: In my opinion, there's no such thing. 

However, people are very unclear on the distinction between "constructive criticism" and just plain "bitchin".

The difference being one is made out of a desire to help, while the other is purely selfish in nature and usually not helpful what so ever. Therefore, before you express a concern, ask first, if by doing so you are going to be helping or ar you just doing so for your own benefit/curiosity/venting.

So to answer your question, I first need to know your concerns. If they are simply subjective complaints that you don't like the art style, or that they don't have a class named "Destroyer" then those are not helpful. If they are about potential pit falls such as the company moving towards pay to win or a complicated/cluttered UI, than by all means, provide your criticism.

Edit: I see you posted as I was writing this. I opine that if getting into an Alpha or a Beta is THAT big of a deal for you, then you'll pull the trigger and pay up. Otherwise, you're more than welcome to wait. Remember, Alphas and Betas are tests, not "bonus play time". I feel the trend of early access games has ruined that understanding recently. If the company wants to trade you a little money to play a half complete game and this upsets you, then don't buy it. If you NEED to do it, then make it work for yoi.

As my dad says, if you are passionate enough about something to complain about it, your passionate enough to find a solution.
  • Options
    @Karthos Alpha or Beta is not that big a deal for me. It had little to do with why I backed the project.

But your answer is a good one, I would fully agree with it I'd not think that it is ever too soon. Again though, all I did was ask the question, I gave no criticism about the game or any of it's directions, not in this thread at least. I did collect examples from this forum. 

Anyway, your answer was helpful. Thanks 
This discussion has been closed.