Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ponder the Grieving

Perhaps another mechanism designers may consider is temporary immunity for PVPers griefing. That is, players that are griefed when they spawn build resistance to PVPers. Hence, pervasive PVPers are not only eligible for bounty, but the prey can relocate without people camping a location. It’s amazing to me PVPers never complain about meting out their prowess, while their victims whine and complain. Has temporary immunity to griefing been discussed? Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    There are mechanisms that will prevent people from "spawn camping" planned. Griefing is not "meting out prowess", it is being a dick killing the same person over and over because you have an advantage over them for whatever reason. The same reason bullies never complain until someone bigger punches them in the face. Here is a transcript where Steven went into some detail on what they have planned to help with such behavior.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
  • Options
    Yeah, rather than increasing the strength of the character that is killed, Intrepid are going to instead decrease the strength of the character that is doing the killing. A different (imo better) method to achieve the same goal - the person killing you over and over again becomes easier for you to kill.

That said, due to the corruption mechanic and potential losses it could cause, I don't see griefing as being much of a "thing" in Ashes. Most PvP will be for an actual reason - though obviously not all.
  • Options
    It's good that there will be a mechanicsm to downgrade the strenght of corrupted players and if I'm not wrong it also increases the chance of them dropping part of their equipment upon death.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    ........ Most PvP will be for an actual reason - though obviously not all.
    Better save then sorry tbh. It can really spoil a "victim's" playing experience. Though I have learned over the years not to worry too much. If you do get camped, just take a break for a bit. Campers will leave quite fast if you do not spawn fast enough.
  • Options
    It's good that there will be a mechanicsm to downgrade the strenght of corrupted players and if I'm not wrong it also increases the chance of them dropping part of their equipment upon death.
    Correct.

Non combatants drop a portion of crafting materials that they have on them when they die, combatants drop half the amount of the same, giving players a reason to at least fight back. Corrupt players drop (seemingly) almost all of the crafting materials they have on them, as well as having a percentage chance of dropping any item either in their inventory or equipped on their character.

Now, since Ashes will have crafting that requires boss drops, I can see people wanting to avoid PvP directly after dungeons and raids... I am waiting patiently for the first "all the loot from our raid got ganked" thread.
  • Options
    waneetwan said:
    Noaani said:
    ........ Most PvP will be for an actual reason - though obviously not all.
    Better save then sorry tbh. It can really spoil a "victim's" playing experience. Though I have learned over the years not to worry too much. If you do get camped, just take a break for a bit. Campers will leave quite fast if you do not spawn fast enough.
    Unless you actually piss someone off in Ashes, you won't get camped. The player has too much to lose by camping - all you need to do is charge at him a few times and die, then when his stats are so low he can't fight back, which would make his corruption so high he will drop basically everything in his inventory and everything he has equipped on him, you charge at him, kill him and take literally all his stuff.

That's the thing in Ashes, PvP outside of PvP areas carries a big penalty. That awesome new weapon you got could quite easily be lost to an adversary if PvP doesn't go as planned.