Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Storyteller

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited April 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
Ahoj,

I bring you a nice idea which the People in Discord really liked;

The "Storyteller"
This NPC might wander around the World and change the Place you can find him at once in a while - maybe he shows up in your City.. or even in your Tavern?
But, this isn't just a normal Storyteller, no.
He will read special books, scripts or scrolls to you, which you can find in the world.
These "make-believe-books" you once read before knowing of the Storyteller now come to life as you show them to him.
*for the rest of the Post, i just refer to them as Books, to keep it simple.

How the idea works?
These stories are pretty much key to an instance which you can do - based on the story, this can be a solo-, group-, or even a raid-instance.
*And the Storyteller could narrate the adventures of the Players through the book/instance.
Kinda like a DM would do it in a round of D&D.

Why Books?
Because with books it doesn't have to be something that really affects the gameworld in any way; the stories can be purely fictional and don't have to be historial events and therefore open up a variety of possibilities.
It can be a way to let the players experience something thats hard to set up in the game world or just wouldn't fit - but it would make sense in a book, because anything could be written inside of a book.
Quite frankly, i don't remember many games where books had a real value outside of lore, besides like hand full of mostly really old games where you could learn abilities from opening the book.
The "Storyteller" influence to the game, adds more value to book-type items.
(players would take more interest in searching for rare books that tell a deeper and more immersive story.)

Books with benefits
Also, this is a very easy way to add new content.
Because you don't have to design an area that has to be placed somewhere in the world - because the place thats mentioned in the book might not even exist (anymore/yet) in the game world.
Also, because books are pretty much only limited by the mind who writes/reads them.. there could be mechanics in these Adventures that wouldn't work in the game world because they would feel "out of place".

Examples
In one story, you get turned into a Creature that has to escape from Hunters that are poaching animals - and at the end of your story, you run into your own Character who saves you (the creature).. and you get the creature you saved in the story as pet/mount.. because the storytelling is just so good and magical, that the pet/mount is now real.

How about a Story where you fight a Boss that tests your Knowledge/Mechanics?
The Boss can all sorts of unique things to you and your party.
Reverse controls, flip the screen upside down, reverse gravity and much more..
Makes you dodge a lot of abilities.
This boss would be more about the
general understanding of game mechanics and less about doing massive dps.
Pretty much a Boss that would introduce you to raiding mechanics.

The Storyteller could be used as an option to enable something like christmas in the game (*people asked for christmas events, multiple times).
The Winter-event triggers a book lands in the middle of the town center, as the player brings it to the Storyteller the narration starts, the player delves into this world where they partake in a quest to fight Santa under the voice of the narrator. Will you listen to his words and Follow the path? or will you break the path and recreate the Story. You defeat Santa and wake up from the narration and the book changes like you rewrote the history.
*Your reward may be different depending on how you play the story; means if you follow the narration you will get one title, but if you break the storypath you get another title.

In another story you are walking on the sea floor and can breath water,
there you find a lost Giant who was once a fisherman that fell from a boat, now he is riding on a a huge crab searching his way home.
Why? Because the book says so.

We are in a Fantasy World, anything can happen, let's use this to our advantage.

- Tey

*in case this idea makes it into the game, i would like to name this Storyteller NPC.

Comments

• Options
    Love the Idea.
  • Options
    Loving this idea Tey! :)
  • Options
    Sounds like a great way to allow some level of craziness for players without breaking the lore, since the stories don't even have to be "true" stories, they can be embellished a great deal. Some cosmetic rewards for engaging such a system might not be out of the question either.
  • Options
    Sounds like it could be lots of fun.
    Could make him a bit of a mysterious character, who also tells stories from before the great calamity.
  • Options
    "Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this; sit down and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard!"