Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Crafting and Gathering Economy

Are most of the gear going to come from crafting? From what I've read this is the case, now if most of the gear will come from crafting then how will this influence the market?

A problem that games have had in the past is that you craft the best gear once then you're done, after that you were that gear until a better set is released or you quit playing.  So to fix this you have to make it possible to lose gear in some way or come out with better sets faster than the demands for the old ones completely disappears.  If you do neither of those things then the crafting and gathering market will plummet, assuming that you don't have any craftable or gatherable consumables. 

As mentioned above there are two choices that I can think of that solves this problem, you are either able to lose gear or you are incentivized to craft new gear that would not be available at launch or time-gated by something else. My preferred solution is to make you be able to lose gear, what I'm saying is I want full loot PvP or full loot PvE.  I've been reading the forums and one of the big fears of full loot PvP is that gankers and greifers will ruin the game experience, but in my eyes, the gankers and greifers are a necessary evil. If all gatherers, crafters and the plain old players never would lose their stuff the crafters and gatherers would be out of a job. 

I think that full loot PvP is the best solution that I've encountered and this is displayed in games like EVE and Albion online. Of course, you need to regulate the times and places that you'll encounter this type of high-risk gameplay, maybe the regulation of this type of encounters is less the case when full loot PvE is in question. What the hell do I know all I want is that crafting and gathering aren't forgotten and put in the background, all I want is to have crafting and gathering be one of the main activities and that it is needed in the same way you need someone to fill a role. For example when I'm forming a guild (uncertain if those will be in the game) I want to have to look for a miner, an herbalist, plate crafter, alchemist and so on, not just I need some healers, dps and some tanks.

Sorry if the answers to what these mentioned aspects of the game will look like are already out there then please leave them below because I couldn't find them. Lastly, if any developers are reading this and have the answers that haven't been told yet a single leak isn't going to cause any troubles. :blush:   

Comments

• Sorry, no full loot planned.

• I think, also, that we won't just be sticking with one set of max level class gear because max level isn't static.
    Mob tables change based on how nodes level/de-level and which buildings players choose to construct...
    Steven has stated we might want to swap the holy damage enchantment on our weapon(s) to force damage because we find that we're spending more time fighting incorporeal mobs.

We may also end up swapping gear or swapping enchantments on our gear as we gain new augments from racial and social progression.
    Especially if we end up swapping secondary classes as well.

• Also, gear degradation. The gear should require mending from time to time, and although that doesn't constitute making a new set it does encourage resource/gold exchanges in the market.

I can't imagine full loot PvP ever being a necessary evil, at least not in Ashes. Players that focus on PvP should have access to funds to buy said armors/weapons from craftsmen therefore encouraging market exchange of resources/gold or they can gather by doing PvE. Since the game is PvX I don't think anyone will only be able to play PvP or PvE exclusively.

Since the game is PvX if PvP players find that they aren't looting gear (because they won't unless vs. corrupted avatars) they will have to adapt.

I wish more people in the threads focused on adapting from their usual play style into a style more readily available in Ashes. As opposed to claiming that Ashes should bend to focus on their pre-conceived/existing play styles.

I am not a PvP player at all, but I plan on engaging in PvE in Ashes because it's a PvX game.
  • AoC does not need to be full loot PvP to manage player driven economy and not to over flood the markets. I have played Albion Online more or less two years now. Full loot is mandatory in Albion, but AoC is different and wont need that feature. It does not fit to AoC game design or IS goals. Generally i don't mind full loot, but imo it would ruin Ashes.

Here are some examples:
    • Specific NPC merchants buys specific gear pieces for low prices.
    • Possibility to salvage gear pieces to get back some materials and maybe even few coins.
    • Lots of different recipes and gear variations so the selection will be wide.
    • Some gear pieces needs lower level gear pieces on top of materials to craft.
    • Some gear pieces needs lower level gear pieces to repair.
    • Successfully ambushed caravan will destroy few random items.
    • Some gear pieces can not be repaired after durability reaches 0%. (This would be effective, but will also lead to not use the best gear)
    • You can upgrade/enchant gear piece with another gear piece.
    ..these options came up my mind atm.
  • Oh and of course preventing items mass production is important. That can be done by making items need a good amount of materials and some time to craft. Even that would make crafting slow paced, it would also make crafted items more rare and valueable, but also give good amount of xp. 

One more option to sink gear out of the game would be study/investigate feature. That would mean you could get xp to specific crafting path with studying and investigating specific gear pieces. That studying should take some time and destroy the gear piece at the process to get exchange some xp. However there need to be some kind of system to prevent mass studying.