Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion for Intrepid

Release the PAX East demo online.

'Nuff said, imo.

Comments

• Options
    :naughty:
    nuff said
  • Options
    Why?
    Think of all the negative feedback from all the people that complain about the "non-fluidness" off combat.

Releasing a pre-alpha game experience in today's world could kill the game before it ever makes it to beta. Have you not heard the comments about how Ashes is going to be "vaporware" or "already over" because of people that have seen footage or even played at both PAX?

I understand the desire to play. Was the op an attempt to be humorous?
  • Options
    Elaborate 
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    Why?
    Think of all the negative feedback from all the people that complain about the "non-fluidness" off combat.

Releasing a pre-alpha game experience in today's world could kill the game before it ever makes it to beta. Have you not heard the comments about how Ashes is going to be "vaporware" or "already over" because of people that have seen footage or even played at both PAX?

I understand the desire to play. Was the op an attempt to be humorous?

I think you are slightly overexaggerating the negative feedback Intrepid is getting on the combat, but your point is still valid. Which is why the A0 test is still under NDA.

Combat is not finished and Steven has said they hope to get it more polished by the end of the year once A1 gets released. 

But there's no reason to panic, if anything, the Pax Demo did a great job showcasing the environment, buildings, dungeons and general atmosphere of the game. 

• Options
    Over the past year, about once a month, there is a thread somebody starts about Ashes being vaporware or already over due to combat footage/testimonials. I would agree that most of those cases are over exaggerated, but I did not exaggerate that level of negativity.

These are people that are concerned or interested enough in the game to join the forums, do research (watching vids or whatever) and voicing their opinions. I would imagine that random people finding the game link, getting the d/l and playing without prior investment (time/research/money/whatever) into the game would produce much more frequent negative feedback (deserved or not).
  • Options
    Yeah, the demo is not something g that should be realeased to the general public.
    The demo is designed so that the devs can hand-hold users through a walk through of the bare-bones basic concepts of the game.

It's not something people should be experiencing without devs talking them through.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's designed so that the devs have to walk people through. The devs manually control when the gameplay starts and the have to manually reset the parameters.
    And sometimes, they are using admin controls to bypass bugs... etc.

And it's going to be pretty easy to break.
    People at PAX West will remember how easy it was to tip over the caravans and surf them while the horses kept running.
    The devs are not going to want people streaming bugs like that.
    Same with the bug that allowed people waiting for PvP to start to push past the gate and begin to capture pylon flags early.

100K players will be able to easily break the demo. The demo is not intended to be stress tested like that.
  • Options
    This is a horrible idea. 

Do you eat a cake before you bake it?

This would be a PR nightmare after people freak out that "this games not done!!! So broken!!! Rage rage rage, not playing this!!!!"
  • Options
    Yep. I’ve seen it way too many times in games I backed. Releasing too much can certainly be a killer, hence the NDA’s. They know this, as well as do other people that have kept close eyes on games in development. Most people don’t understand that the goal is to get the mechanics down first, then to polish. All they see is the clunkiness and the negative posts start. 
  • Options
    Not much point ? It would discourage some of the more extreme people by thinking the game is 'garbage' despite it not being in Alpha yet :3
  • Options
    Image result for denied meme
  • Options
    About balancing in the game. Does all classes really have to be balanced? Cant there simply be that they are more niche. Say one can summon people. one can give great buffs. One can find sought after stuff by climbing places nobody else can reach. Same goes for pvp. The player who can summon partymembers might do it while fighting the enemys. the player who give great buffs might grant speed to partymembers to reach the caravan quicker. The one who can climb stuff can get out of range in trees and snipe the attackers or simply flee over a mountain. I think balancing is overrated and makes the game flat. I much rather have classes that are WAY overpowered in specific nieches then a game where everyone can do everything equally. If you are annoyed with a player running away from you all the time. Get some hart to get boots to increese your speed or get an expencive potion. Or simply level another class if your current one does not fit your playstyle. 
  • Options
    Grotesque said:
    About balancing in the game. Does all classes really have to be balanced? Cant there simply be that they are more niche. Say one can summon people. one can give great buffs. One can find sought after stuff by climbing places nobody else can reach. Same goes for pvp. The player who can summon partymembers might do it while fighting the enemys. the player who give great buffs might grant speed to partymembers to reach the caravan quicker. The one who can climb stuff can get out of range in trees and snipe the attackers or simply flee over a mountain. I think balancing is overrated and makes the game flat. I much rather have classes that are WAY overpowered in specific nieches then a game where everyone can do everything equally. If you are annoyed with a player running away from you all the time. Get some hart to get boots to increese your speed or get an expencive potion. Or simply level another class if your current one does not fit your playstyle. 

The classes are not being balanced against each other, but instead are being balanced around group play.  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    @Grotesque
    While* Combat is being designed for Group Play ... each Archetype needs to have some sort of self-sufficiency.

While the ... " DPS, Tank and Heals Trinity " vs " Any Class, Any Role "is debatable in itself .... Intrepid seems to be doing a little bit both ... comfortably favoring the Trinity System

( I say both mainly due to the Primary-&-Secondary Archetype System )

Not having Archetypes/ Classes Balance creates the Stigma of " Meta " . A player should NOT* be kicked from a Dungeon Group or Raid because their Archetype(s) sucks in crunching those Numbers for the Utmost DPS

( Albeit being situational ... such as Close-range having a higher chance of getting caught in a Boss's AoE )

It must be balanced to some extent or it could be the downfall of any & all MMORPGs
    such as ...

https://youtu.be/JciZoOKWWYg?t=4m40s
  • Options
    @Grotesque Lets not repeat pass mistakes, eh ?
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    This is a horrible idea. 

Do you eat a cake before you bake it?

This would be a PR nightmare after people freak out that "this games not done!!! So broken!!! Rage rage rage, not playing this!!!!"
    I think it goes even beyond that, this would be like eating the raw eggs before putting them on the cake mix.