Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Costume packs...Really?

As one of the original K.S.  backers, I must say that I am sorely disappointed with the state of the game!  Please tell me how you can be working on trivial costumes, skins, and freaking teddy bear mounts when so much of the game is still not finished! Skin's that which in my opinion are the furthermost thing from your PROMISE! You gave us all your word that this would be an ORIGINAL mmo and a return to a more CLASSIC MMO.   Please stop catering to the otaku junkies and keep your word. 
If you find yourself lacking in the originality design department why not pay your backers with in-game currency for submitting art that could be used as new and Original creatures and skins? 

Comments

• A little late to the party mate
  • You are not the only one with this sentiment, and I agree that Mr.Stuffington was a weird choice for a mount.

But the vision of the game is solely up to Steven and not us, and as far as development progression is concerned, having an artist draw up a couple sketches every month is not gonna slow down development, and the additional funds from skin sales are only a net positive since the budget for a big MMO like Ashes is pretty large.

My general opinion on this is as long as there isn't any pay to win mechanics in the store, Intrepid is free to sell whatever they want to further fund the game. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Well, they are providing packs and feel they are ahead of schedule, so seems like it doesn't hurt. And helps fund development.
    edited April 2018
    You guys realize this game probably won't be released for another year or two?  They have given themselves plenty of time to put the effort they've promised into this game.  We don't know the reasoning behind adding costume packs and strange mounts and remember that just because you, like many others, want a game that bring you back to the original MMO feeling they have to cater to other audiences as well.  There's the runescape/everquest generation, the guildwars/ WoW generation, and the younger generation that might get into the genre through mobile MMOs.  

Like many others, I was fortunate enough to go to the Ashes of Creation panel at PAX East earlier this month where we heard from some of the major creators as well as the Steven himself. I can tell you they are hard at work and sincerely want to create a game that will meet our expectations.
  • Who said they are working on those skins? It's just concept art at the moment.
  • I don't think anyone has the ability to tell Steven or anyone else at Intrepid what they can and cannot do. If they think they can work on skins while keeping on schedule with the rest of the game then who are we to say they cannot? Lmao. Lets not make something out of nothing. Even if the game is released late or missing something, we have no idea if it was because they were working on skins or anything else. 
    edited April 2018
    regardless of personal opinion of what the cosmetic's look like.

The pack's that are on sale each month help fund the game, so working on the concept art to get people to buy it is a smart move to ensure that the indie game studio has enough money to continue developing the game so imo just as important as working on the game itself.

Besides it's the concept artist's job to make concept art not programming or anything like that. so making "trivial costumes, skins, and freaking teddy bear mounts" IS his job.
  • Perhaps the most important thing to point out in this thread is that Intrepid are not spending any time at all on working on 3D models of any of the cosmetics that are in the store as of yet. So far, the only work done on those cosmetic items are the 2D pictures we see in the store art which could probably have been done in 15 minutes on the bus to work.

Steven has specifically said he has slated time for the art team to work on in game assets for these items just prior to the game being released, when everything else that needs to be worked on has been finished.

Personally, I don't see the problem with that.
    edited April 2018
    Don't weeb the game up is all I have to say. If we want that we can play Archage, BDO, FF14, Bless, etc, etc, etc....Be different! You have the teddy bear mount....lets end it with that. Games that are psuedo realistic we have Teso and GW2, for 'high fantasy we have all the above mentioned games. The genre does not need another game with french maids riding rubber ducks!

Sorry if this seems rantish but I just watched a stream on Bless and I thought to myself "great, another mmo with high fantasy" and the second I see the word "costumes" my heart just sinks.
  • The genre does not need another game with french maids riding rubber ducks!