Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Beasty Underground Race

Hello,

Is there any news yet on the unlocked underground, beast like-stats race that was unlocked last summer?  Was it..... was it the dwarfs? > >

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    You are probably talking about the Tulnar race, and no, we don't have any new information on them yet and they are unfortunately most likely going to be one of the last races fully fleshed out.

Its probably the race most players are excited for. 

Here you can check out the stuff we know so far: 
    http://ashesofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/Tulnar

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    I looked around and found some info for you:

Steven Sharif:

When will we see Tulnar? Do they Equal Furries?

Tulnar will probably be one of the later races we work on. They were a stretch goal from Kickstarter. We’re going to be creating the core concepted races first. They will be in place before A2 though. You can expect to see concepts and early work on them before we get to A2. Tulnar do not equal furries but there are definitely some bestial components you can scale up when creating your Tulnar character. Whether or not that would give you something that would be considered a furry would be depending on your interpretation of what that is.

Tulnar what can be said about them?

Tulnar are a race that were added as a stretch goal. Combination of minor races that existed before the fall and major 4 races that were present co-mingling in the Under Realm of Verra as a means to survive. Influences are from mammalian, reptilian, and humanoid features. Character creation process involves dialing those elements up in one of those categories.

Quoted from:
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PAX_EAST_2018_Sunday_Steven_Q#When_will_we_see_Tulnar.3F_Do_they_Equal_Furries.3F

Tulnar

Z9tvcRspng

• Underrealm Race
    • Culmination of some of the major/minor races that existed before
    • Will be able to dial up which type of attributes come to the forefront of your character
      • Reptilian, mammal, human, etc

Background

• Fled to the UnderRealm area to escape the atrocities of the surface.
    • Won’t be returning to the world, instead returning to the surface.
      • Poking their head out for the first time in generations.
    • Portals spooling up has done other things to the world, has brought this UnderRealms attention to the surface.
    • Tulnar will probably be one of the later races worked on. Expected to be in place before A2, with more concept art before then. 

Quoted from:

http://www.aocwiki.net/Races

There is also this video from their YouTube channel. At 4:20 they mention that they are designing underealm characters and show of some silhouettes. This could be the Tulnar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-baoW2-B-A

Some Tunlar silhouettes with weapon designs:

• Options
    This will probably be the race I go with.
  • Options
    What I want so badly from this race is be able to create a human like fox girl. Like what you would see in an anime.

I would be soo disapointed if character creator is just limited to making a human like werebeast, kinda like Bless online's beast race.  I dont care if that is a option to be a full werebeast, but i also want to be able to create a human with light animal quaities in contrast.
  • Options
    It looks like the race has a lot of aesthetic opportunities. I can see why the dev's are waiting to release them instead of trying to rush them out with the rest of the launch. A lot of challenging coding will need to go into their character creation/customization.

Lots of potential here, and a lot of room to make some really weird stuff  :grin:

I look forward to it!

- Sikuba