Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

'The Hooded Effect'

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited April 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
'The Hooded Effect'

Hey guys! hear me out! 

We all know cloaks are going to be a bad-ass piece of clothing to wear in 'AoC' because they are bad-ass to wear in every game. So in saying that i dug a little deeper into an idea for this piece of clothing and brought it up with a couple of guys in the Official 'Ashes of Creation' Discord and they seemed to like it. 

The Idea

What if cloaks were able to hinder the range/proximity of other players being able to identify your character's name,level,race or status? alongside this ability give the player the option of toggling on and off the hood as it enables and disables the concealed ID effect.  
Not every cloak has to contain this concealment ability (perhaps it's a legendary cloak?) but it could definitely be used in a lot of situations. 

Examples of the Idea

In one example, say you see a corrupted player but you don't want to be known as a bounty hunter by your surroundings, you can wear the cloak whilst nobody is looking and seek after the corruption. (keeping in mind that you don't get too close to any players revealing your identity)

Another example, you want to meet up with guild members from another guild for future plans and preparations. You wouldn't want another member of your guild to notice something "off" under the radar. The cloak would reduce the chances of any "screw-ups" especially if it's something big. 

Or say it's your guild leaders birthday today and you don't want him to see you walking over to a cooking station in preparations for the cake you're baking for them. Wearing a cloak could be the one-thing that keeps your plan under wraps for celebrating his day with the trusty members who've had his back the entire time. 

Is it a Win/Win to have it?

The downside to the cloak is the fact that it is a cloak, with the concealed ID effect the players that spot you outside of their identification proximity might see you as a suspicious figure who might be up to no good, this might create comfort issues making your characters life harder when you may just want to be soloing for the time being.

Anyways this was 'The Hooded Effect' 1.0 which will be updated regularly as more examples of it's use come into consideration. (Of course i am also up to any suggestions on how we can better the Concealment effect! Hit me up in the comment section below) 

Comments

• Options
    'The Hooded Effect'

Hey guys! hear me out! 

We all know cloaks are going to be a bad-ass piece of clothing to wear in 'AoC' because they are bad-ass to wear in every game. So in saying that i dug a little deeper into an idea for this piece of clothing and brought it up with a couple of guys in the Official 'Ashes of Creation' Discord and they seemed to like it. 

The Idea

What if cloaks were able to hinder the range/proximity of other players being able to identify your character's name,level,race or status? alongside this ability give the player the option of toggling on and off the hood as it enables and disables the concealed ID effect.  
    Not every cloak has to contain this concealment ability (perhaps it's a legendary cloak?) but it could definitely be used in a lot of situations. 

Examples of the Idea

In one example, say you see a corrupted player but you don't want to be known as a bounty hunter by your surroundings, you can wear the cloak whilst nobody is looking and seek after the corruption. (keeping in mind that you don't get too close to any players revealing your identity)

Another example, you want to meet up with guild members from another guild for future plans and preparations. You wouldn't want another member of your guild to notice something "off" under the radar. The cloak would reduce the chances of any "screw-ups" especially if it's something big. 

Or say it's your guild leaders birthday today and you don't want him to see you walking over to a cooking station in preparations for the cake you're baking for them. Wearing a cloak could be the one-thing that keeps your plan under wraps for celebrating his day with the trusty members who've had his back the entire time. 

Is it a Win/Win to have it?

The downside to the cloak is the fact that it is a cloak, with the concealed ID effect the players that spot you outside of their identification proximity might see you as a suspicious figure who might be up to no good, this might create comfort issues making your characters life harder when you may just want to be soloing for the time being.

Anyways this was 'The Hooded Effect' 1.0 which will be updated regularly as more examples of it's use come into consideration. (Of course i am also up to any suggestions on how we can better the Concealment effect! Hit me up in the comment section below) 
  • Options
    I like the idea (and hope it's a feature) that hoods can be troggled up and down.  However, I don't like the idea that IDs can be hidden; though you laid out your idea very well.
  • Options
    Not really a fan of the idea.
    If we were playing in a world where we had the full range of senses which allow us to identify different people, maybe.
  • Options
    It reminds me too much of the Ghillie suit in BDO, which destroyed any sense of meaningful PvP when people could hide their name and Guild from their opponents.

It sounds good to let Bounty Hunters use the cloak to hide their identity, but remember, corrupted players would also be able to hide their Identity.

• Options
    I think Chronicles of Elyria is planning to have something similar to this.  But in order to avoid the pitfalls that BDO found they are building a full system around it where your death can be investigated, the person has to actively work to have the skills to keep their identity hidden in the first place (not just a toggle but a skill that you don't know the success of, after all you *think* you're disguised) and a couple other things. 

I think there is interesting design space and player experience opportunities with this type of idea but I would say leave it for a future update/expansion due to the amount of work and testing that would have to go into implementing it since to do it right it won't just be a toggle but likely multiple systems.  There is already a huge amount to do with the 64 classes, political systems, economic systems, pvp, etc etc things on the menu.
  • Options
    Honestly this just sounds like a pain to me.I would at least like to know the player's username at all times. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I like the idea. But here is a little change. What if you stared in the direction of the person long enough the name plate was no longer concealed.....say 3 min.  Ergo, a guy who is corrupted cannot just stand around  and he always needs to be on the move and once he screws up and one person can identify him then everyone can identify him. Thus, better read that mail quickly and if you hit up the Ah you better jit and run. Long stretch of city street to run down....then you will want to duck into building or alleys once in awhile to reset the timer or guards that might be standing around looking in your direction could detect you.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    My response to nearly every idea, "as long as it is not like BDO, screw BDO btw" :)
  • Options
    @Mobrechael
    has a nice extension to the idea. Not sure how you would implement 10,000 timers to establish how long the sameplayer is watching you for, not the line of sight physics intensity across the server with 10,000 people all looking at each other.

I like the idea i principle. Just cant personally see any way to make it work well.
  • Options

He knew what's up, x)
  • Options
    @Mobrechael
    has a nice extension to the idea. Not sure how you would implement 10,000 timers to establish how long the sameplayer is watching you for, not the line of sight physics intensity across the server with 10,000 people all looking at each other.

I like the idea i principle. Just cant personally see any way to make it work well.
    Good point. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Unless the cloak had a short duration (say 10 mins) and a massive cooldown (a matter of hours/days) and was extremely difficult to make.