Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please evolve this dead genre

I think this genre has been stale for a long time. I am hoping this game can break through unlike the previous other titles and or attempts. It will be a breath of fresh air if it can obtain what it talks about.

If I could get something with  similar qualities to SWG crafting, Wildstar housing, ESO crafting/stealing, GW2 questing and group encounters, GW2 transmogs. star wars the old republic pvp and class story missions and WOW dungeon finder

What kind of things would make you smile

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    these genre have been taken hostage by carebear's which is why these games usually die few months after. Some people might take offense to the word "carebear" but its the nicest way i could put it.

You have these people who are usually newer to the game, they put minimum hours in it, usually buy the cheapest founders pack, and they are the majority. Because they are the majority, dev's usually listen to them, dumb down every mechanic in the game, make all the dungeons easier, overall make everything childish, and you see this with all the recent MMO's dating back and back at how easy the content is. For example Bless online in RU/Korea, everyone complained that the content was waaaaaaaaaay too easy, and its because the dev's just assumed its what is needed these days for these casuals. Or even the current WoW.... look at their dungeons... Its beyond sad....Look at how big the outcry is for Vanilla servers....

Look at Albion Online, advertised as a Open world Sand box MMO full loot PvP game, totally dead....Dev's have dumbed down the game so much, that you have some of the best PvE in the cities through AUTO QUE.... you group up with 5, and auto que into a dungeon and run through it all with 100% safety from death or losing your gear... and get some of the best rewards in the game  in terms of leveling. Now for the rest, who actually leave the safety of the city to explore 95% of the game, its total emptiness, nothing but empty zones and wasted content. It saddens me because i was on the round table and i told them this would happen, but its hard to sway when you are the minority with so many screaming mouths yelling all the same thing.

What ends up happening is, after a few months, these carebears run through the game, because its so easy, usually max out their character(lets be honest, these days it takes only but a few days or a week) and pretty much move on to the next MMO/Game that comes out. 

The players who are actually involved in the game both emotionally and financially(backed the game for $100s of dollars) are now stuck in a dead and empty world with no choice but to also move on and relive all of this all over again.

Now im sure there will be tons who disagree with me because they might be putting themselves into this "carebear" or casual category, but sometimes you dont even realize when you persuade dev's through the masses to constantly dumb down their game over and over, update after update until the game is just a snooze fest with nothing left to achieve.

I hope it change the genre too, but it has to change the mind set of its players for this game to succeed, because the devs will have to be very strong to not get swayed by the screaming masses for every little thing they hear in the new's.
  • Options
    Focus on community mainly. Having played WoW for a good 4 years or so now, I've seen it evolve into a game where you can just press a button to find a dungeon group. Minimum interraction with the other players is all there is, which saddens me.
  • Options
    They have stated they want certain end game content to be very hard to obtain and that has my hope up for a less “carebear” game @NTBRO
  • Options
    All that we have to do is wait and see, I have high hopes that Ashes will invite more people to the MMORPG genre :3
  • Options
    I was with you until the dungeon finder. I see that as a pitfall. It just kills so much of the community interdependency.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Hmm.. there are pros/cons to a dungeon finder. I have sat for a week at a time 18 hours a day lfg before. I was a Druid though, so I was asking for it : P.

As long as the content itself requires social interaction, that's good. In my parties, we always talked and worked as a team. Lotta stuff could go wrong ;D.

I think it's more important to have challenging content that demands teamwork/communication and punishes with med breaks/wipes if you don't try to solve it or come ill prepared than avoiding a dungeon finder. Dungeon finders do kill the fun of party composition though. Parties composed of certain classes are better suited to certain content than others ; ). Can get a lot of fun/powerful combinations too. Can also lean more on the side of offense or defense. I think I once had a party that had a healer that could charm a pet and 5 charmers for 6 charmed hasted pets that could tear through enemies in a couple of seconds lmao. Was very precarious though since a charm was always broken =o.
  • Options
    no group finder tool: https://youtu.be/hIVnt8SDdrY?t=32m5s it's pretty much confirmed they don't want it.

you find groups in a node's community hubs
  • Options
    Yea and even if they added a tool, they listen to the community, if we were all against it they would likely listen. They are smarter than that anyways im sure, hopefully we wont have too many gripes, but no game can be perfect. We will always need to speak up about some things
  • Options
    I notice that out of all the things the OP mentioned that the dungeon finder was the most discussed.  Most people do not want a dungeon finder it seems and that is a good thing. The biggest issue with WOW right now is that the dungeon finder turned the game into something resembling crap.

As far as your other ideas I am totally for those. But the game needs something more than just a few stolen gimmicks from other games....that is not evolving.

This game needs advances such as a world that is always changing. If people are killing orcs in one area repeatedly while ignoring the ogres on another part of the map then the orcs needs to get tougher and the ogre area needs to expand.  Dynamics.

Make trees and walls climbable with the right equipment. Make low elevation areas flood when it rains. Put in a random forest fire that burns a section of woods down. Think outside the box of what we get from the other mmos.

But if this is just another click some buttons and get MnMs kinda mmo, like the others, then it is doomed already.  The next evolutionary step in mmos will be a world that can be changed by the players with AI that can actually figure things out....the spell caster whips out a sword to fight a ranged character. A lone ogre runs away from a large party of players and goes and gets help. A city is randomly attacked by large forces of some random humanoids. Again, the word is dynamic.

I only write this because it does not matter if the game is pretty, hair flows in the wind, birds are singing, spells look good....we have seen it before. Great, your mushrooms have emmisive properties and a gloomy area looks gloomy....but none of this is new. A dynamic world on the other hand....that is something to write home about.
  • Options
    I notice that out of all the things the OP mentioned that the dungeon finder was the most discussed.  Most people do not want a dungeon finder it seems and that is a good thing. The biggest issue with WOW right now is that the dungeon finder turned the game into something resembling crap.

As far as your other ideas I am totally for those. But the game needs something more than just a few stolen gimmicks from other games....that is not evolving.

This game needs advances such as a world that is always changing. If people are killing orcs in one area repeatedly while ignoring the ogres on another part of the map then the orcs needs to get tougher and the ogre area needs to expand.  Dynamics.

Make trees and walls climbable with the right equipment. Make low elevation areas flood when it rains. Put in a random forest fire that burns a section of woods down. Think outside the box of what we get from the other mmos.

But if this is just another click some buttons and get MnMs kinda mmo, like the others, then it is doomed already.  The next evolutionary step in mmos will be a world that can be changed by the players with AI that can actually figure things out....the spell caster whips out a sword to fight a ranged character. A lone ogre runs away from a large party of players and goes and gets help. A city is randomly attacked by large forces of some random humanoids. Again, the word is dynamic.

I only write this because it does not matter if the game is pretty, hair flows in the wind, birds are singing, spells look good....we have seen it before. Great, your mushrooms have emmisive properties and a gloomy area looks gloomy....but none of this is new. A dynamic world on the other hand....that is something to write home about.
    Good news man, most of the stuff you mentioned is a main aspect of the game. The world is being created to be extremely dynamic, the players will be determining how the world grows. Have you looked at the node system at all yet? I like your ogre example, would be cool if the enemies actually knew when they were outmatched, or if some place was overfarmed for some reason the area adapted like you mentioned. But yes, the devs plan to make the game change all the time, in interesting ways.

I also dont think it will be another MMO where you mindlessly grind and get easily rewarded for tasks that were not difficult at all. They want the game to be challenging and fun, I dont know how they will do it exactly. But if you listen and watch the creators talk about the game you know they mean well and they all have a great vision theyre doing a good job so far in bringing to life.
  • Options
    There is light at the end ofnthe tunnel, rejoice \o/
  • Options
    Rodzor said:

Good news man, most of the stuff you mentioned is a main aspect of the game. The world is being created to be extremely dynamic, the players will be determining how the world grows. Have you looked at the node system at all yet? I like your ogre example, would be cool if the enemies actually knew when they were outmatched, or if some place was overfarmed for some reason the area adapted like you mentioned. But yes, the devs plan to make the game change all the time, in interesting ways.

I also dont think it will be another MMO where you mindlessly grind and get easily rewarded for tasks that were not difficult at all. They want the game to be challenging and fun, I dont know how they will do it exactly. But if you listen and watch the creators talk about the game you know they mean well and they all have a great vision theyre doing a good job so far in bringing to life.
    I have heard about the node system and that is awesome. But I don't want it to be predictable in that "oh we are in stage 4 and the stage 4 trees are gone and have been replaced with the stage 4 field." and that being the only change apparent because that is not dynamic. I want roads washed out and trees down after a storm kinda dynamic. I wanna log in after being off for 5 days and see that a forest is smoldering or a a main bridge was swept away and being repaired.  Real world stuff. I go into an area to farm wolves and see that all the wolves are rotting corpses when I am attacked by zombies that have taken over. AoC needs to aim far because I feel as if I have seen it all. Wow, Teso, Wildstar, GW2, GW1, Rift, EQ, Archage....not trying to be demanding but if this is just different flavor on the same ole burger I am not going to be impressed.
  • Options
    nestharus said:
    Hmm.. there are pros/cons to a dungeon finder. I have sat for a week at a time 18 hours a day lfg before. I was a Druid though, so I was asking for it : P.

As long as the content itself requires social interaction, that's good. In my parties, we always talked and worked as a team. Lotta stuff could go wrong ;D.

I think it's more important to have challenging content that demands teamwork/communication and punishes with med breaks/wipes if you don't try to solve it or come ill prepared than avoiding a dungeon finder. Dungeon finders do kill the fun of party composition though. Parties composed of certain classes are better suited to certain content than others ; ). Can get a lot of fun/powerful combinations too. Can also lean more on the side of offense or defense. I think I once had a party that had a healer that could charm a pet and 5 charmers for 6 charmed hasted pets that could tear through enemies in a couple of seconds lmao. Was very precarious though since a charm was always broken =o.
    To me, dungeon finders kill the need to make connections in a game.

In a game without one, it is in your best interests to find players that you like, and that have similar in game goals to you.

Put in a dungeon finder and all you need to do is queue up and wait. There is no actual need to talk to others, no actual need to do anything other than run the content.

Further, without instances and fast travel, a dungeon finder would be extremely hard to implement.
    NTBRO said:

Look at Albion Online, advertised as a Open world Sand box MMO full loot PvP game, totally dead....
    This is the eventual, inevitable end for all MMO's that promote open PvP. Restrictions from the start are the only way an MMO can maintain a subscription base.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Noaani said:

NTBRO said:

Look at Albion Online, advertised as a Open world Sand box MMO full loot PvP game, totally dead....
    This is the eventual, inevitable end for all MMO's that promote open PvP. Restrictions from the start are the only way an MMO can maintain a subscription base.
    Once again you did not quote everything to properly put into context why that game is dead... Seems to be a common theme with you trying to push your point across by falsely quoting tiny bits to support your point.

Albion's open world is dead not because of its PvP or open world concept or full loot, its dead because the developers listened to inexperienced players, those who showed up a moth before release and cried the loudest, not those who played the game in alpha stages for a year and half and actually knew what they were talking about.

Not having enough incentives for PvE players to participate in the entire portion of the game is mind boggling stupid from a dev's perspective, and as expected the game is pretty much empty with the majority of population afking in cities while still reaping rewards of experience by safe instanced dungeons.

Albion has a similar flagging system as this game will have, if anything albions system is probably much better and safer for PvE players then this games system.

The point is, for a game to be good there has to be valid risk vs reward, if one of those balances are not balanced properly, you get big problems down the line. 

If gathering is too easy in AoC because of such heavy PvP punishments then you will have an over flooded market of goods with cheap gear and the game wont function properly or feel rewarding when you do get a certain end game gear, hopefully it stays at a decent balance and devs take a look at their punishment system some more because its def not balanced in terms of risk vs reward currently(which is early so its ok).

For anyone who wants this game to succeed, they have time to fix some of these issues, but these issues need to be brought to their attention while there is still time to fix/tweak them.

• Options
    rebate said:
    I think this genre has been stale for a long time. I am hoping this game can break through unlike the previous other titles and or attempts. It will be a breath of fresh air if it can obtain what it talks about.

If I could get something with  similar qualities to SWG crafting, Wildstar housing, ESO crafting/stealing, GW2 questing and group encounters, GW2 transmogs. star wars the old republic pvp and class story missions and WOW dungeon finder

What kind of things would make you smile

Yeah, cause complex crafting systems and housing did prevented the games who used them from dying.
    oh.. it didn't...

swtor PvP??????
    dfq?????

LMAO, you are a big troll aren't you? You can't find a game with worse PvP than swtor had and has, it litearly didn't had PvP endcontent at all omg!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Like some previous poster said, I am afraid that our "dynamic" world will be something more or less predetermined.

Node evolved to level 4? Ok. Replace tiles X1 to X144 from grass to swamp. Pick a random monster from a list of 10 swamp monsters and summon it. Apply certain skills/abilities to it from a list predetermined specifically for swamp monsters and maybe a few general ones. Make the monster attack the node. Did players kill the monster? Ok. Reset the timer for monster spawning to 3 days.

Does it sound fun? maybe, a bit. Is it dynamic? a bit, yet more an illusion.

What would be more dynamic?
    - huge lists of monsters, abilities etc. I'm not asking for something completely dynamic here because I know it can lead to a huge amount of extra work. Think about the game SPORE. Wouldn't it be nice to have monsters be created by a similar algorithm but with many more possibilities for each "body part"? It would, but might take 2-3 more years to do. I'd really love to have this in an expansion for example (e.g. dragon-headed zombie-armed scorpion-tailed bears - with borrowed abilities from each base type - randomly spawning in a forest biome that is in the middle of a desert, caught on fire and also had some undead activity).

- everchanging biomes. Each zone of influence could be made out of several biomes and regions that might change in some way (both randomly and triggered by an event or player actions). For example, some forest tiles catching fire, expanding, then leaving behind a burnt down forest with ash instead of soil. Scarred animals, flying fiery bears , fire elementals, ash elementals, angry water elementals, moving burnt trees could appear.

- each of these regions should have a random event generation "token" associated. Link it to everything that makes sense (forests catching fire, deserts generating sand storms, ground cracking up, tsunamis near the coasts, heavy rains, etc). So each type (of zone) will have different outcomes or events it can choose from. To these, others can be added that are general (e.g. the god of thunder appearing or an alien insect dropping from the sky or a giant lava monster coming up through the ground and hiding in a cave). Each outcome will change the zone in a random way (from a list of possibilities). Also, each outcome will be linked to both a random number generator and some triggers (i.e. something can happen randomly just because, or due to the fact that players did something specific). Multiple outcomes could happen at the same time and they should interact properly together (this is a matter of how you structure your code classes and who inherits what).

- rig the RNG. Each zone should have a timer, initialized to a random value every time. If nothing changes during that time, a random event will trigger. Of course, we don't want to be flooded with these events. This means that adjacent zones could be linked together in the sense that no more than 2 out of 5 zones will have a random event triggered (as an example).

Imagine the possibilities when all of these things start linking together! (e.g. forest -> burnt forest -> heavy rain -> tar monsters -> dragon attacks -> fiery tar monsters -> desert biome -> sand storms -> etc).

That's what I would like to see, yet it requires a huge amount of work :) Hopefully in an expansion at least.
  • Options
    Yeah it require loot of work... for nothing... cause it would be maybe fun for the first few events, and then it will be booring.

Grinding for mobs is still grinding, regardless whether the forests burns or not, or if you kill zombies or chimeras.
    Mobs are mobs. They have only one purpose, to kill them and then loot it. They can have any random shape, the gameplay aren't will be any more fun. You maybe laugh at it first, but you forget it soon, it's just a dummy, you hit it, it dies you loot, the rest ain't matter.

• Options
    Then there is stuff like the witcher built on a whole plethora of different beasts to take down, that all have their own unique requirements....there own strengths and weaknesses.
    Ultra boring. Same old same old.
    Crap game I know ;) Who would buy such junk.
  • Options
    As much as we want to blame the gaming companies for the failure of MMOs it is just as much fault of the players and the community.
    People have such a sense of entitlement it is terrifying and for some reason people have this instant gratification. Despite all of that one of the biggest issues I see is the willingness to spend money on video games. Everyone wants everything to be free or close to free. God forbid you spend 50.00 on a video game but you'll spend that on fast food in a week or whatever cigarettes or beer.