Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unique Unlockable/Lootable Classes in the Future?

Firstly I'd like to say that I love that there are going to be so many available Sub-Classes to choose from. I am also extremely satisfied with the Class system as a whole. For some reason, though, I've always been fascinated by the idea of Classes that can only be played once unlocked in-game. Whether as the result of a difficult questline, or dropped as ultra-rare loot from a Raid Boss, I would love to see Classes that must be acquired by some means in-game. Perhaps we could see some Classes that don't necessarily have a place in the current Class chart. An example would be a Druid, or a Hemomancer. Something interesting and desirable that would be the envy of your peers, should you manage to acquire it.

For example, I'd love to see a questline in some sort of Coliseum where you would fight various NPCs that would increase in difficulty and reward. Defeating the final boss would give you a Gladiator Class (token, ticket, etc.) or something similar. Great way to expose primarily PvE-focused players to the wonderful world of PvP, as well.

Those are just my thoughts on possible additions to an already amazing Class System. Anyone else like/dislike that idea?

- Sikuba

Comments

• Options
    Its been a fascination of mine as well but i don't think we will see something like this. The plan is to have everything available for everyone and i don't see intrepid adding ingame classes although i personally would love it.

Legendary moonlight sculptor anyone?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Who knows.. I don't see much of a downside to it unless the unlockable classes are stronger than the default. If enough people show support for the idea, we may see something along the lines of it in future updates of the game   :)
  • Options
    Unlikely the devs will add new Primary archetypes any time soon, but...
    Racial augments, religious augments and social organization augments may essentially deliver new sub-classes.
    I could see Ren'Kai racial augments creating a "Gladiator" for Weapons Masters and/or Guardians.

I don't see how fighting NPC bosses would entice PvEers to want to engage in PvP combat.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:

I don't see how fighting NPC bosses would entice PvEers to want to engage in PvP combat.
    Well, in the context of a quest that progresses through a PvP-themed Coliseum and rewards a Class, the content would need to be standard and equally difficult for everyone, which would mean you would need to have NPCs simply for consistency. After that, it's just making sure it's a challenging fight. Kinda like the Brawler thing back in WoW, from the Pandaria expansion.