Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Afraid that Playerhousing will destroy atmosphere of Game World

Hello all. 

I am truly exicited that you will have Playerhousing. 
But i would like to share a concern i have regarding this as i did notice that your Housing System will not be limited to "in the House Decoration" but also "Garden and outside of the House Decoration for Gamers".  Is this correct. 

Please take a warning i can share from a other Game Shroud of the Avatar. 
This Game did provide the option for players to decorate also outside of the Houses and it did end up that they totally destroy the "Visual Balance" and "believability" of the world we all would move in. 

Please Check these examples. 

Think if you like for examples players placing such Snowmen in your Game World for all to see when running past. 

Or ask yourself if you want to see such decorations in your game world on the floor made by players: 

These are still not worst examples . But depending on how much freedom you will provide it will have a heavy impact on your Game World.

Black Desert Online did avoid it in going the direction of only providing in the House Decoration Options. 

One way of course to be sure you have both Playerhousing and keep a immersion World is to only provide Decoration Options that do harmonise with your Gaming world. 

But i did see already that you have a small animal as decoration , a deer. 

Imagine 20 deers standing in a Playerhousing Garden and bang you got your immersion destroying feeling already. 

Just a thought i would like to share. 

Kind regards

Myrcello

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    I can accept the snowmen when it`s christmas, but they should be only available on winter(you know, the 1 week season rotation). Maybe not such "cute" snowmen like the picture but i dunno...
    I`m not one of those who decorates his house in games but sometimes its nice to see well decorated houses of other players.

And if we can upload images for our flags and such, there´s another problem for you. Expect Nicolas Cage flags, dogges and such.

• Options
    As the building and planning officer would say.
    The appearance of the property should be in keeping with its surrounding environment.
    Does that mean no Orcish styling in a predominantly elvish town though ?
    Of course!
    :D
  • Options
    I would be against cosmetics that add a modern, advertisement, or traditional RL holiday theme to players housing.

I agree w/ @Quev if Snowpeople are possible they need to 'melt' in Spring but could auto-repop in Winter. That would be fun, and if other themes did the same I would be less put off by RL holiday oriented objects.

In the end, everything should be motivated by Ashes not outside influences. Staying true to that should prevent a lot of, imo, useless housing cosmetics/objects. I fully expect to see giant stuffed animals moving about peoples freehold's though.
  • Options
    well, there already are houses that will look totally different from base houses as IS have released some skins for houses like the plague lab. 
  • Options
    I have always kind of liked the holiday events and decorating. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I don’t particularly do a lot of roleplay though. So I understand why people that are wanting to be ‘immersed’ wouldn’t care for it. 
    I’m pretty sure people have probably built snowmen since the dawn of time. I mean, there’s manuscripts showing snowmen from the 1300’s...
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    I think that your world view of immersion is very narrow, that people thorough out the centuries and thru many cultures have used décor and adornments in their plots of ownership.  Because it does not jive with your personal esthetic doesn't mean it "breaks" immersion; it just means that's someone's else's version of immersion.

I do agree that I do not want real life business ads and billboards plastered all over the place.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    I think that your world view of immersion is very narrow, that people thorough out the centuries and thru many cultures have used décor and adornments in their plots of ownership.  Because it does not jive with your personal esthetic doesn't mean it "breaks" immersion; it just means that's someone's else's version of immersion.

I do agree that I do not want real life business ads and billboards plastered all over the place.
    Well said.  Archaeology has brought much to our attention with the discovery of ancient gardens and outdoor temples.  
  • Options
    It will be interesting, though, to see what the node leadership will be able to do about Freeholds that violate their community design guidelines - similar to a homeowners association.
    Will they be able to raise taxes on that freehold?
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    It will be interesting, though, to see what the node leadership will be able to do about Freeholds that violate their community design guidelines - similar to a homeowners association.
    Will they be able to raise taxes on that freehold?
    They can try and  take my money from my cold dead hands 
  • Options
    What I like about non-instanced player housing is that - occasionally - you come across someone that has a real creative talent for it.

Some people are able to make amazing things when they are given a small patch of land and a small amount of freedom.

To me, seeing the occasional piece of artistic genius is wroth having to put up with the occasional piece of artistic vomit.

As long as Intrepid don't go overboard in terms of holiday decorations, (or even add them in at all, without a lore based reason), I'm all for it.