Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes News - Rumor's about the possible Intrepid/Daybreak Games acquisition?

You might of recently heard about or seen article's posted in gaming new's sites about Intrepid Studio's buying Daybreak Games. this is what we have been told in response by Steven at Intrepid as well as Daybreak Games. 

From Steven on the official Ashes of creation discord earlier today.

From Daybreak Game's on their forum's earlier today. ​Orignal Post​​​

If you would like to take a look at the article's in question here are the main two new's sites that this has come from.

www.mmorpg.com - Article​​​

Massively OP podcast​​​

So what are your guys thought's?

Comments

• Options
    I'm all for it, utilize their veteran developers.
  • Options
    Seems to me that the Daybreak layoffs are likely occurring due to Columbus Nova having their assets frozen.

Hopefully, Steven hires more of the laid off Daybreak devs, at the very least.
  • Options
    I don't believe this is a bad thing for AOC, if anything.. maybe more dev's or support from the daybreak community. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Pick up the devs etc sure theres alot of talented devs there,im hoping he wont purchase the whole company though.
  • Options
    Maybe Steven is just going to buy some chairs from the office? They do have great chairs.
  • Options
    I'm sure Steven and IS have multiple sources to pull from for this level of investment. I am usually not the 'let's look at the books' type of guy, but I would want assurance that the KS and SB funds were not being used for an acquisition.

However, picking up laid off veteran game development staff would be a valid way of spending said monies.

All in all if it makes IS stronger and doesn't alter the path Ashes is on (except maybe a timeline) I am down.
  • Options
    If it is true and it does go through, it would more than likely be a lengthy process. Usually acquisitions take around a year to complete. Some take longer. I’ve seen them as short as a few months, but they were relatively small companies without a lot of assets, and the buyer was extremely decisive and swift. 

With that said, I could potentially see the reasoning. Experienced game devs, and maybe the rights to EQN would be my guess. I don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing as long as they didn’t split their focus. There are both pros and cons in that regard.

Personally, I would buy them just for personal reasons if I could. My first MMO was EQ. I loved that game, and I was a huge fan. Next thing you know, I’m all grown up with the ability, and possibly the chance to buy them—while being able to snag the rights to EQN and some veteran developers to polish off ashes at the same time? Yeah, I probably would..
  • Options
    As long as it does not effect ashes in any way negatively then he can do as he wishes thas my view on this. 
  • Options
    in case you misses  this  

UPDATE #1 From Intrepid's Steven Sharif:

It has long been my personal policy not to comment on rumors.  Even if we were in talks with Daybreak for an acquisition, we would not be able to comment. Additionally, I saw the news of recent layoffs at Daybreak today and would like to extend my condolences to those affected.  Daybreak (SOE) has an incredible history of creating some of the most cherished franchises that are near and dear to our hearts, and the people laid off today are some of the most talented developers in the industry. Intrepid Studios wishes them the best in their future ventures and I know they will go on to accomplish great things

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/updated-rumor-daybreak-games-in-talks-for-possible-acquisition-1000012677#yM1CEBlI2fXRjAWU.99

• Options
    It would be kind of fun to see the developer talent like fantasy football
  • Options
    Picking up the veteran dev talent... smart move!
  • Options
  • Options
    Good idea if they can get some solid developers :) 
  • Options
    they already have a few deveoper's from daybreak, and with the layoff's daybreak had today, im sure they will be looking at intrepid for possible job opportunities as well :smile:
  • Options
    Any more updates on the matter from yesterday? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    I feel bad for the employees and the players of TheyBreak Games. They've really messed things up recently (not to mention the harbinger of death, SOE)
  • Options
    Hopefully, Intrepid can pick up some seasoned developers from DBG's debacle.  I don't see Intrepid being able to take on the assets of DBG without impacting Ashes in a negative way.  Like so many other former DBG employees that found a better job with Intrepid, we can hope that those laid off will be so lucky.
  • Options
    Would they need to buy a whole studio to get some more devs? Seems like the devs would be glad to flee a sinking ship
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Ziz said:
    Would they need to buy a whole studio to get some more devs? Seems like the devs would be glad to flee a sinking ship
    Yeah, it isn't like they couldn't just hire the competent ones they want and kick the slack to the curb. While he might be able to get it for a song, why would he want to buy IP that is several years old. Hell, if the plan was to go full retro I can see how buying 10 year old assets might be worth it, but buying some IP that they ruined by going p2w and trying to resurrect it by revamping and going sub seems like an even bigger crapshoot than developing your own with up-to-date resources from scratch.
  • Options
    As long as it won't be bad for AoC then I don't mind what they do, probably the idea of getting some veteran devs is the best :3
  • Options
    As long as it won't be bad for AoC then I don't mind what they do, probably the idea of getting some veteran devs is the best :3
    Literally  my opinion. If you can get (and want) some new devs, do it.
  • Options
    I have been following the story on mmorpg.com and massivelyop.com. It has gotten more convoluted.
  • Options
    Gimme, Gimme!
  • Options
    When I looked at Reddit and saw the word Daybreak was worried when i saw the word bought I was doubly worried when I saw it Was Intrepid buying daybreak I was relived.

Personally do not like Daybreak or how they do business. I think it could have some good practical benefits absorbing a company like Daybreak could raise some doubt with some people. I can just see the rumor mills churning lol.

Not sure just how much of the assets Intrepid is purchasing, having right to EQ, EQ2 and the unfinished EQN could have some positive effect down the road, be curious to see how it unfolds.

Access to some of their teams that are talented as well as some of the hard assets could be beneficial as a low purchase over buying new equipment or IPs.

Hope they are not hiring any of the people with questionable business practices and just god raw talent when it come to making games.

Can't say honestly how I feel about thins I think at this point curious and will wait to see how things unfold and hope for the best.
This discussion has been closed.