Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

pet classes

i  was theorycrafting over what kind of tanking style i would want to play, and somewhere down the line i came round to pet tanking, wich led me to this xd

i wanted to make a thread to ppl who love and/or play pet classes as to what they dont want to see and love to see.
as some1 who is getting increasingly interested in pet classes, in general, this is basically me asking for ppls their views on pet controls/tactics, but maybe intrepid could draw from ppl through this aswell:D (dunno if they see this tho)

even if i cant do pet tanking, it still sounds like an interesting challenge to play essentially 2 characters at the same time x3

Comments

• Options
    I remember tanking in WOW with my Warlock during the Mists of Pandaria expansion. With my voidwalker pet I was able to tank Heroic dungeon bosses. I remember one time in particular everyone in my group died except me and I took down the boss by myself by utilitzing the voidwalker's taunt and shield as well as my Warlock abilities such as Metamorphosis (rip meta for warlocks 2016).  It was great : )
  • Options
    Feel free to call me crazy, but I can't stand the idea of pets replacing players.
    I'd rather them stay as "pets" and non-combatants.  Perhaps they could be good guards and "bark" when there's danger or something - but I would expect them to get swatted away like a fly against any real opponent.

Even though there is a Ranger style class, I would rather see them without combat pets, but that's just me.
  • Options
    I really love pet classes but when it comes to tanking and healing... I want it to be a channeled or split duty thing. Like the scholar class in FFXIV where you and your pet healed. You had your share of abilities and so did your faerie.

For tanking I'd like to see your pets buffing your character with shields, thorns, armor, etc. That way you are still in charge of keeping threat but your pets are helping you. That or your pets absorb hits... maybe have a wall of small creatures on you that each absorb a hit... with a larger summon for the bigger incoming hits.
  • Options
    I am not a huge fan of pets even i have played Death Knight and Warlock in WoW, last time in Pandarian expansion though. But because of those pets are going to be in game i would love to see those as tanks, healers and even supports and not just damage boosters. It would be nice if player can have some control to pet, but if that pet could think by itself too. Meaning f.e., pet could notice that if someone is at low health in same group, then the pet would cast heal or shield on him/her automatically.
  • Options
    Pet classes are my personal preference. I sincerely hope that Beastmaster at least has pets akin to hunters in WoW where you can tame a wild creature, name it, and it levels with you as a permanent companion. Not something like FFXI.

I used to tank dungeons in extreme scenerios with my hunter pet, if the tank were to die, or be terrible and have loose adds on people. I've always wanted a more serious 'tank' pet class.

I also heal in FFXIV with SCH and love that class.

I love having companion creatures that I work with in games.

I imagine that since we have a class called Summoner there will be an amount of utility pets depending on what your sub class is and how you use them.
  • Options
    thank you all for the input!:D even if i cant tank with the pet, the idea of playing essentially 2 chars at the same time is very alluring to me:3

im a former death knight and also have a few years on ff14, but the pet jobs in ff14 had horrid controls for the pets. they either didnt cast or casted after when they finished their current action.
    i played most of the realm reborn story as a summ on lvl 50 and did everything with titan-kun (tanky pet, and i had such a blast with it that i really wanna try such a style with this game for realz. :D
  • Options
    Yeah, absolutely. The SMN pets don' t have very good controls, no. I hope that in this game we can toggle on/off specific abilities vs all on or all off like in XIV. I also played death knight in WoW, and enjoyed the ghoul but ultimately my main was a hunter. I enjoyed selecting the look and utility style of my pet far too much.

Here's hoping AoC delivers on the pets, because I've been really looking hard for a good MMO with a good pet class. They aren't as easy to find as you might think D:
  • Options
    We'll just have to wait and see, I'd say a lot of people will be trying this type of gamestyle early on.
  • Options
    you bet!:D
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    skearn said:
    i  was theorycrafting over what kind of tanking style i would want to play, and somewhere down the line i came round to pet tanking, wich led me to this xd

i wanted to make a thread to ppl who love and/or play pet classes as to what they dont want to see and love to see.
    as some1 who is getting increasingly interested in pet classes, in general, this is basically me asking for ppls their views on pet controls/tactics, but maybe intrepid could draw from ppl through this aswell:D (dunno if they see this tho)

even if i cant do pet tanking, it still sounds like an interesting challenge to play essentially 2 characters at the same time x3
    Wait and see on this one.
    At the Pax they bought 4 classes to enable balanced composition.
    Fighter (Physical DD), tank (Physical Tank), cleric (Magical Heal), ranger ( ???)
    We also know steven has expressed the trinity like system and that there are magical and physical aspects to the 8 archetypes. So....putting 2 and 2 together to get 3139....
    Mage/Cleric/Bard/Summoner = Magical
    Fighter/Ranger/Rogue/Tank = Physical

So I dont think it unreasonable to assume the main role of the summoner class is as a Magical Tank. As Steven did once quote the tank as a physical tank if I remember rightly.
    Mage = DD
    Cleric = Healer
    Bard = CC
    Summoner = Tank

That would give clear visual identity to magical and physical versions of the actual balanced Quaternity rather than unbalanced Trinity
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The Summoner has been confirmed to be more of a jack-of-all-trades class (I don't remember which stream it was but it happened this year). They are able to switch between roles when required to.
    Edit:
    Here's a link https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Summoner#cite_note-livestream-18-January-2018-45:52-3
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    The Summoner has been confirmed to be more of a jack-of-all-trades class (I don't remember which stream it was but it happened this year). They are able to switch between roles when required to.
    Edit:
    Here's a link https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Summoner#cite_note-livestream-18-January-2018-45:52-3
    thank you for this, how did i miss this:o
    skearn said:

Wait and see on this one.
    At the Pax they bought 4 classes to enable balanced composition.
    Fighter (Physical DD), tank (Physical Tank), cleric (Magical Heal), ranger ( ???)
    We also know steven has expressed the trinity like system and that there are magical and physical aspects to the 8 archetypes. So....putting 2 and 2 together to get 3139....
    Mage/Cleric/Bard/Summoner = Magical
    Fighter/Ranger/Rogue/Tank = Physical

So I dont think it unreasonable to assume the main role of the summoner class is as a Magical Tank. As Steven did once quote the tank as a physical tank if I remember rightly.
    Mage = DD
    Cleric = Healer
    Bard = CC
    Summoner = Tank

That would give clear visual identity to magical and physical versions of the actual balanced Quaternity rather than unbalanced Trinity
    its deff gonna be real interesting no matter wich way it swings, and i'll deff be there to find out:D

i feel subclasses will add to the magic tanking or phys tanking tho.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Zastro said:
    Edit:
    Well i have nothing against the idea of make summoner "jack of all trades" IF it does not mean "average joe" as well. In many mmo's the experts who focus just one aspect are more efficient than hybrids. I see this more like a problem in PvE than in PvP. I really hope that devs will succeed with the group compositions so hybrids are equally valueable than experts. And i mean on top of that class utility skill, because that should not be the only reason to take someone in your group.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Zastro said:
    Edit:
    Well i have nothing against the idea of make summoner "jack of all trades" IF it does not mean "average joe" as well. In many mmo's the experts who focus just one aspect are more efficient than hybrids. I see this more like a problem in PvE than in PvP. I really hope that devs will succeed with the group compositions so hybrids are equally valueable than experts. And i mean on top of that class utility skill, because that should not be the only reason to take someone in your group.
    I imagine that its versatility is what is going to make it desirable in groups. Especially if for some reason a group isn't able to find a certain class to fulfill the role. They can just pick up a Summoner. Also, the choice of secondary will probably make them better at a specific role. For example, if the Summoner decides to choose Tank as their secondary and become a Brood Warden then they might be able to fulfill the Tank role even better than they could before. Same goes for Necromancer for better healing, Spellmancer for more ranged magical dps, and Enchanter for support.
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Ferryman said:
    Zastro said:
    Edit:
    I imagine that its versatility is what is going to make it desirable in groups. Especially if for some reason a group isn't able to find a certain class to fulfill the role. They can just pick up a Summoner. Also, the choice of secondary will probably make them better at a specific role. For example, if the Summoner decides to choose Tank as their secondary and become a Brood Warden then they might be able to fulfill the Tank role even better than they could before. Same goes for Necromancer for better healing, Spellmancer for more ranged magical dps, and Enchanter for support.
    this would be awesome if its the case:D

its also a good way to make a petclass more desirable from the summoners point of view:3
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Ferryman said:
    Zastro said:
    Edit:
    Well summoner being as a back up is just what i personally fear. Summoner should be picked up because being a summoner and not because of back up. Summoner can not be main tank, because secondary class only augments the skills, but i guess summoner/tank could be off-tank at most. But that is fine IF dungeons and raids needs in some fights one and half tank f.e. or gives different kind of possibilities to kill the mobs and bosses. So it all depends how versatile would be the mechanics of enemies. If the content will be just tank n spank, then summoners can be screwed and maybe bards as well.
  • Options
    I trust Steven has thought about how to make the Summoner and Bard desirable.  They simply need to bring things that no other class can bring. The Summoner's ability to adapt can be invaluable when going into unknown fights or fights that have a lot of different phases, mechanics, or different kinds of enemies.
    Steven mentioned that some Summoners will be able to summon effects, so they could be invaluable at holding choke points and area denial. Also, it is better for their summons to die than for a player to die, so Summoner tanking is less risky for team survival.
  • Options
    I think it would be cool if everyone could have a tamed pet to amplify attributes in battle, but at the risk of permadeath to the creature. Summoners should be able to summon their summons regardless, but wild tames or bred tames could be huge battle buffs with great risk of loss. For example if a tank had a tiger with them, they could keep the companion animal out and it would help with speed and confidence, but if it got killed, it would cease to exist anymore. 
  • Options
    I think it would be cool if everyone could have a tamed pet to amplify attributes in battle, but at the risk of permadeath to the creature. Summoners should be able to summon their summons regardless, but wild tames or bred tames could be huge battle buffs with great risk of loss. For example if a tank had a tiger with them, they could keep the companion animal out and it would help with speed and confidence, but if it got killed, it would cease to exist anymore. 
    i love the idea, like a dragon turtle pet:D

i wonder what religion classes can do with pets :D
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    I trust Steven has thought about how to make the Summoner and Bard desirable.  They simply need to bring things that no other class can bring. The Summoner's ability to adapt can be invaluable when going into unknown fights or fights that have a lot of different phases, mechanics, or different kinds of enemies.
    Steven mentioned that some Summoners will be able to summon effects, so they could be invaluable at holding choke points and area denial. Also, it is better for their summons to die than for a player to die, so Summoner tanking is less risky for team survival.
    Yes this is excatly what i want to see too. Especially these bold text parts. If summoner can be played like distractor/debuffer/support then i am sold. Same goes with bard actually. :)
  • Options
    That's like wearing gear at the risk of it being destroyed.
    Highly unlikely to be implemented that way.

Since breeding with inhereitable traits is a thing, seems likely that will have pets with traits that help us in battle to some degree at some point.
    Similar to how we will have mounts that we can use in battle.
  • Options
    Truth be told I've been seeking a game where a pet class is exactly that.. the pet is your main output. I would love to see a modern game that handles a pet class like the summoner in FFXI but most recent games your pet is arbitrary and just does it's own thing. Obviously if it dies you lose some performance but it's negligable.

When I saw summoner announced as a class in ashes I got excited.. maybe just maybe we would see a good pet class again... Then we found out it's gonna be more of a support role again. 

It would be nice to see summoners with massive Mana pools, pet augmenting abilities and a controlled minion be the focus again instead of a class that acts like a mage with an elemental support pet. 
  • Options
    Truth be told I've been seeking a game where a pet class is exactly that.. the pet is your main output. I would love to see a modern game that handles a pet class like the summoner in FFXI but most recent games your pet is arbitrary and just does it's own thing. Obviously if it dies you lose some performance but it's negligable.

When I saw summoner announced as a class in ashes I got excited.. maybe just maybe we would see a good pet class again... Then we found out it's gonna be more of a support role again. 

It would be nice to see summoners with massive Mana pools, pet augmenting abilities and a controlled minion be the focus again instead of a class that acts like a mage with an elemental support pet. 
    fucking marry me!:D
    i would kill to play the same way as a puppeteer from naruto:D i wonder how it works in pvp tho:o
  • Options
    skearn said:

Woww.. hold your horses. Not until this feature will be implemented in game. 
  • Options
    skearn said:

i would kill to play the same way as a puppeteer from naruto:D i wonder how it works in pvp tho:o
    Pvp would be hectic.. but I'd love that. Obviously with a pet and master type class your output comes from your pet the problem that poses is the pet will need to be strong enough (health and defenses) to be able to take the brunt of damage... this also forces (for the classes to be balanced) the summoner themselves to be weak (health and defenses) or the class becomes overpowered (basically 2 players in pvp) putting the actual character at risk of being an easy target. 

So if your good at avoiding or controlling other players movement or position you can excel in pvp and cause others to make a choice... cripple you and kill your pet so your no longer a threat or go for you and try to outlive the pet damage on them and remove you from the fight.

While I would love to see something like this happen it's probably not going to be the case in ashes. I'll try out summoner when it's available but I have a feeling Itll end up being a support or multi function class and I'll probably end up going into a tank role... Like I do in every other MMO haha. 
  • Options
    skearn said:

Pvp would be hectic.. but I'd love that. Obviously with a pet and master type class your output comes from your pet the problem that poses is the pet will need to be strong enough (health and defenses) to be able to take the brunt of damage... this also forces (for the classes to be balanced) the summoner themselves to be weak (health and defenses) or the class becomes overpowered (basically 2 players in pvp) putting the actual character at risk of being an easy target. 

So if your good at avoiding or controlling other players movement or position you can excel in pvp and cause others to make a choice... cripple you and kill your pet so your no longer a threat or go for you and try to outlive the pet damage on them and remove you from the fight.

While I would love to see something like this happen it's probably not going to be the case in ashes. I'll try out summoner when it's available but I have a feeling Itll end up being a support or multi function class and I'll probably end up going into a tank role... Like I do in every other MMO haha. 
    i'll probably end up the same way, but im deff gonna try it out to its fullest;D

Ferryman said:
    skearn said:

Woww.. hold your horses. Not until this feature will be implemented in game. 
    heh :3