Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapons/Items and their Requirements.

So I've been thinking.

Intrepid has opened the doors and shown us some really interesting and cool weapons and armour.

However, what will the prerequisites be to use them?  (that's as basic as i will phrase this question I imagine)

First, I'm chucking out Bind on Equip (BoE) and Bind on Character (BoC). We know enough on this.

I want to see what people think about this idea, as i'm sure it won't be implemented as much as I would like.
So my Idea is, would class play a factor in Item choose (or vice versa).
For example, I think it would be cool is some Item require you to not only be a "level" but your node to be at a certain stage or your character to achieve some quota within the class you choose. Maybe even being a certain secondary.
As annoying as it would be, I like the Idea of acquiring a certain item that needs you to be lets say a Summoner/Bard but you're a Summoner/Mage and either sell on the market or give away to allies...
Or that same Item but requires you have X amount of time under a type of node. Say you need to be under Divine and you are in Scientific. you can sell said item or move to another node to charge it or what ever.

Would this interest people or not.

I like the Idea that I could grind for an Item only to find out then that I can't use it, because it randomly generated with requirements that I don't meet and would need to hope the next drop does.

Let me know.

Comments

• Options
    The first issue would be equip requirements, level and class is enough restriction on items already, additionally we will be able to change our secondary archtype following a certain procedure (maybe a quest) so no need to give away items for the same archtype to others.

Regarding item bind as much as I don't like it, it is somewhat necessary to stop people from abusing the system and getting who knows what amounts of money from it. Unless IS implements a system where we can take off the bind for a high cost so no one can profit from it and would be used for alt characters or maybe for friends.
  • Options
    I forgot about the secondary respec possibility.

But I do like the idea of buy off the bind. Like a disenchant or something.
  • Options
    Any class can use any weapon and there is no BOE or BOP planned except in rare circumstances. Will there be combat level limits put in place on different tiers? Possibly, not confirmed.

To what degree will Soulbound equipment be featured in Ashes ?

1. 21:50
    2. Not a very high degree.
    3. Items are not soulbound. Want the market to work off of transferable goods.
    4. Hired a PHd Economist named Rocco
    5. Be able to deconstruct, destroy, transfer these items
    6. Ability to Craft. Markets are Regional. No Global warehouse, marketplace.
    7. Soulbound is designed to pull items out of market.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1961&v=rcOdyuV0tX8

• Options
    Sorry guys. I've read it back and I didn't make it very clear. 

I meant chuck out BoE and BoC from the convo.
    As in it's not really a topic of importance as we have the info on it.

I was thinking about other requirements they could implement to make Item grind more interesting.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to see a mechanic where the longer and more you've used an item the more effective you are with it.  That way your gear has the potential to evolve with your character and perhaps even gain specific abilities for utilizing it at specific locations or against specific enemies.  Potentially that evolution could be modified by class as well but that might get overly complicated multiplied across so may items and class types.

Illogical bind mechanics are replaced with those evolved traits resetting to the item baseline when bought or traded to another character as they logically don't yet have the familiarity and experience history with the item.  Perhaps certain encounter triggered enhancements would remain - perhaps not.
  • Options
    My understanding of the way weapons work is:
    Basic weapons come with one basic weapon attack.
    Advanced weapons can have up to 5 different weapon attacks that can be chained into combos.
    Recently, Steven mentioned augments that enhance the weapon type - seemingly making the character more effective with swords or hammers or daggers, etc.

So, yes, a weapon can get "better" as the owner adds different enchantments to the weapon.
    I think some of the strategy about wielding weapons previously owned by other players is whether our character has the abilities and augments to take best advantage of the specific weapon abilities on the specific weapon.
    Any class can wield any weapon, but an Assassin may not have abilities that can take best advantage of a wand or scepter.
    Seems like a Level 5 character should not be able to wield a Level 20 weapon (or a weapon designed for a Level 20 character). But, it could be that weapons will be restricted by the levels of the abilities rather than the level of the weapon, such that the basic attack always functions, but the character must be the appropriate level to initiate the advanced weapon abiltiies on the weapon.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Hm, that info you gave about the basic weapon, vs advanced weapons, was new to me, @Dygz.  Good to know, and it makes sense, considering everything we've heard from Steven. 

Honestly, I'm not to partial to mechanics that make progress unnecessarily difficult, by adding extra grind.  Usually, those are the types of systems that developers introduce, to extend a games longevity.  The whole "endgame" stuff. 

However, if we're going to delve into the hypothetical, I think it would have been cool if IS had not only made weapons/armor agnostic, but also had a classless system.  Most MMO's are based on a class system of some kind, and that's cool.  But, the games that allowed a character to become what they wanted, by DOING, as opposed to choosing on creation, always appealed more to me, personally. 

lol Neither here, nor there.  Don't mean to derail the topic, just a bit of a tangential commentary.
  • Options
    Info Jeffrey told me at PAX West.

Vast majority of RPGs are based on classes.
    Classless system would be diverting from a foundational feature of the genre. Yes.
    With dual-classing and augments, Ashes seems like it should be a fun mix of class and "classless".
  • Options
    Mhyth said:
    I've always wanted to see a mechanic where the longer and more you've used an item the more effective you are with it.  That way your gear has the potential to evolve with your character and perhaps even gain specific abilities for utilizing it at specific locations or against specific enemies.  Potentially that evolution could be modified by class as well but that might get overly complicated multiplied across so may items and class types.

Illogical bind mechanics are replaced with those evolved traits resetting to the item baseline when bought or traded to another character as they logically don't yet have the familiarity and experience history with the item.  Perhaps certain encounter triggered enhancements would remain - perhaps not.
    Listening to the livestream right now - so awesome they are think along these lines and even more so.

"Weapons have their own progression trees."