Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

This sounds amazing but once bitten etc.

First of all, best of luck to the dev team, what they say about ashes has me excited but let's face it, I've heard it all before, warhammer, age of cons, archeage, swtor etc etc.

I watch footage as they release it and I know it's very very early and I'm sure all this will change but the way characters move looks terrible, the graphics look 2nd rate but yeah I know it's very early so I won't let that bother me too much.

Here's a few concerns I have.

The corruption system, I feel it's a great idea but what about this scenario, say you have an assassin type with stealth, player attacks you, you run but then see him alone 2 hours later, because he attacked you earlier you decide to get your own back so you attack him, do you also get corruption?  Also what about the people that want to role play an outlaw? I think they should have a very large zone that's lawless so people can do so, you enter this zone at your own risk.  It's great they are combating pk ers but I hope it's done properly and is a robust system.

1 think I'm very excited about is breeding at last, been wanting this in a game for ages but it should be very deep.

I hate games that have everyone follow the same route to end up with the same cookie cutter build, gear or whatever.

A system like below would be great.

E.g. you have several beasts that can be used as mounts, dire wolves, horses etc, there are different breeds all over the world, you can mix and match to try out new combos for speed etc, strength for inventory, colour etc, then try breeding 2 others to get a completely unique mount, possibly use sweat it dung from certain types of rare mounts to create sliders, u icons for magic boost etc. 

I really hope ashes doesn't make the same mistake as all the others, players want to be diverse, unique etc, nothing worse in an mmo than 10,000 tanks running around with the same gear and build.

I'm playing eso at the moment and what I love about it is the questing, they're fully fledged out stories rather than go and kill 10 of these.

I'm excited that ashes will break the mould of same old stuff.

Best of luck.

Comments

• Options
    @Aceball I think you make some very good points, and they have addressed most of them.  I think calling the graphics "2nd rate" is pretty darn harsh - especially since all of the "cinematics" they've released are all in-game footage (NOT in-game cinematics... all what players could see.)

The corruption system is what everybody has their eyes on.  It'll be impossible to fine-tune this system until much later, since the goal is to make a balance between making it rewarding to people who love to pvp, and still enjoyable to people who don't want to be "griefed" all day, or just want to pve.  They're even thinking about a "Bounty Hunter" side profession or guild to have "good" players go after heavily corrupted players.  It'll be hard to balance any of it until they get lots of player feedback from all sides of the story... And I'm sure lots of people would love to play as outlaws.  Heck, the Caravan system they want to use is perfect to form your own group of bandits that preys on them.  Maybe you could even have your team fight it out with other bandits over access to certain forks or choke points in roads?

The breeding system, in theory, will be very similar to what you were thinking, as far as they've discussed.  They want it to be rewarding.  As far as I know, nobody knows if this will be breeding of pets, mounts, critters (harmless), or monsters... or all of them.  I, personally, think it would be amazing if you could cross-breed different types of bosses together to create new bosses... but I think that's just wishful thinking.

I have no idea what you mean by "u icons for magic boost etc.", but I imagine like with all breeding, or genetics really, there's going to be an element of chance relative to your skill level in breeding.

As far as the combat and cookie-cutter stuff you mentioned - they're adding so many different "augment" paths in the game that it will be nearly impossible to have the best build in every class for all situations.  They've already made it possible where every class can wear any type of armor and use any type of weapon.  That in itself is amazing and opens up many possibilities.  We also have no idea how in-depth the crafting systems will be, or how unique or rare certain crafting recipes will be.  If there's only one guy with a super special sword... well, he could completely hoard it and keep it for himself, or sell tons of them to try and become rich - which would also devalue the weapon itself - or only sell a couple to create demand.

The player-driven market in many categories will be pretty amazing to figure out, too!  I'm pretty sure they even hired a Ph.D. in Economics just to hash out the marketplace, stock market system, and everything related to that.

• Options
    Aceball said:

The corruption system, I feel it's a great idea but what about this scenario, say you have an assassin type with stealth, player attacks you, you run but then see him alone 2 hours later, because he attacked you earlier you decide to get your own back so you attack him, do you also get corruption?  Also what about the people that want to role play an outlaw? I think they should have a very large zone that's lawless so people can do so, you enter this zone at your own risk.  It's great they are combating pk ers but I hope it's done properly and is a robust system.
    You only gain corruption from attacking another player if they don't fight back.

In your example, the player that attacked you would not gain any corruption, as you fled and were not killed. If you attack him, you can then see what he does. If he fights back you can kill him and not gain corruption, but if he doesn't fight back, you can disengage from the fight and - as long as he doesn't die - you gain no corruption.

Players wanting to RP as bandits can do so by scouting out and attacking caravans. This is actual banditry - attacking individuals is not. Players that attack a caravan do not gain corruption.

In terms of cookie cutter builds, that is unlikely. Most gear used in Ashes will be crafted, and crafters have sliders to fine tune the stats on gear to player requirements. So instead of killing a mob and getting an item with the same stats, you kill a mob to get an item that can be given to a crafter to be made in to an item with a specific effect but the stats you want it to have - within reason.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    @Caelron from the wiki. Was talked about in an early livestream. If I remember the convo correctly, he is a game designer who has a PhD in econ so it isn't like he doesn't understand games and how people interact. Should be interesting.
    1. Hired a PHd Economist named Rocco
  • Options
    You can attack any purple or red player and not gain corruption; it's only when you attack and kill a green player do you accumulate corruption.
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError That's awesome!  I just remember the PhD part, didn't remember anything else.  I just give more credit it to how in-depth Steven is being with his hiring and the people he's putting on this amazing team!
  • Options
    Sorry it seems auto correct messed up what I wanted to say, perhaps unique mounts had magical properties, e.g. a unicorns dung or sweat could be used to create magical potions. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    What are you smoking? i know dung has its real world uses but unicorn dung and sweat making potions in a game? thats some next level messed up my friend. 

I wouldn't exactly call graphics second rate. Its just zoomed out. Watch some of their cinematic footage or zoomed in game play (the one with freeholds comes to mind) on youtube. Character movements are all placeholder currently. The animations team is working on the physics and from what @UnknownSystemError has said, its coming along pretty well, just has yet to be implemented. Corruption could use a little more clarity and in game examples in my opinion though
  • Options
    There is a game out there that has RMT and one of the main ways people gain cash is by harvesting sweat. You have huge groups of people at the farm spots just banging on monsters and everyone else clustered around milking the sweat till the monster is tapped. So it takes all types.
    http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?2397-The-n00bie-guide-to-sweat-gathering
  • Options
    @Caelron from the wiki. Was talked about in an early livestream. If I remember the convo correctly, he is a game designer who has a PhD in econ so it isn't like he doesn't understand games and how people interact. Should be interesting.
    Siffredi?
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Siffredi?
    @Ferryman
    As funny as that is.... no.
    And as inappropriate as that is... any PhD in his case would be a euphemism.
  • Options
    What are you smoking? i know dung has its real world uses but unicorn dung and sweat making potions in a game? thats some next level messed up my friend. 

I wouldn't exactly call graphics second rate. Its just zoomed out. Watch some of their cinematic footage or zoomed in game play (the one with freeholds comes to mind) on youtube. Character movements are all placeholder currently. The animations team is working on the physics and from what @UnknownSystemError has said, its coming along pretty well, just has yet to be implemented. Corruption could use a little more clarity and in game examples in my opinion though
    Lol, it was just an example of how breeding magical beasts could have more uses than just as a mount.