Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Racial Perks

Hey everyone.

I've really been hoping they wouldn't give races special stats for their race that would make them more beneficial in one class than any other. This will lead to (for example) the majority of mages being Elves. As someone who values story, and Ashes of Creation as a game that builds its own story, this is a recipe for disaster. If according to lore dwarves are no good at magic, I might find it interesting to play a dwarven mage and make up a backstory for him! But if dwarves receive a racial debuff to magical skills, you can bet your backside that I'll not make one. Especially in a competitive, PvP driven world like this game has, I'll be looking to squeeze every extra point I can out of my character.

If it does this it could very well end up like WoW or other MMORPGs. Elves become synonymous with mage classes. Dwarves synonymous with warrior classes. And so on.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a general estimate of how severe the racial perks will be? Will they be like SWTOR where their effect is near nonexistent? Or like Elder Scrolls games where your race choice plays an immense factor in your class?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I believe Intrepid has stated that there will be various racial bonuses, differing between each race.  What those racial bonuses are, or how "severe" they will be, has not been introduced yet, to my knowledge. 

Though, I will imagine there more factors, than the race you choose, that will affect how effective your character is, in your chosen class role.  Though, if you're a min/max type of player, these things could possibly effect your decision.  Too soon to tell.
  • Options
    There are racial stat bonuses and racial augments to go along with racial progression.

We have no clue if it will be along similar lines as typical.
    Seems like Nikua would probably fine with magic.
    I expect Ren'Kai to have Strength bonuses and Vek to have Wisdom bonuses.
  • Options

Will races affect your classes?[7]

1. Yes, plays into archetype system. You will have racial augment that can apply to primary archetype skills.
    2. Races will have different stats, game relies on different stats to measure things like damage/defence/other stuff.
    3. Race should be an identity, not a skin, and this will be a part of it.
    4. NOTHING IS RACE LOCKED
    5. Some classes might work better with different races, but nothing enforced.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/Races