Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

can armor crafters customize the armor they make ?

for example like ff14, people able to dye their armors. its good to represent a specific group / guild to stand out. or special dyes in the cosmetic shops... its a win win to all

Comments

• Options
    Intrepid has stated that they plan to make armor/weapons crafting highly customizable.  I imagine it ranging from such things as aesthetic motifs, to stat allocation.  Steven mentioned something about craftsmen having "dials" to play with, when crafting. 
  • Options
    I did always enjoy that you could change the look of armor pieces in ESO with the style material. That game had decent control over armor pieces. You had the tier material and quantity that controlled the level of it, style which controlled the look, a modification material which would add a bonus (higher crit, more efficient sprint, bonus armor, etc), and finally, depending on where you crafted it, special crafting stations would imbue a set bonus to it. 

On top of that you could upgrade it to higher rarity levels which would make the armor look better and add additional dye slots.

As much as I like it I though they handled it poorly because of the lack of a level cap when I played (try spending a month's worth of saved up legendary mats to make a set of legendary v12 armor just for it to be raised to v14 cap a few days later). 

However, I want to see something more in-depth and customizable like SWG had. I want something with a high skill ceiling to reward dedicated crafters.
  • Options
    Most likely we will be able to change the design what interests me is, is there going to be any impact on created armors depending on the materials that were used.
  • Options
    I would love a system where some metals give you a specific colour. An example would be steel, it would give you a basic silver colour and iron would give you a gray armour tint. These would be used as a undercoat and then you would be able to add more such as emblems. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    nagash said:
    I would love a system where some metals give you a specific colour. An example would be steel, it would give you a basic silver colour and iron would give you a gray armour tint. These would be used as a undercoat and then you would be able to add more such as emblems. 
    That is how ESO's worked. If you made something out of orichalcum it'd have a green tint, dwarven would be yellowish, voidsteel was a abyssal blue/black, rubedite would have a red coloration, etc. Here are examples on dulfy's site.

Unfortunately whatever you made it out of was what color it was and also its stats. There was no way (outside of dyeing) to add a finish to it. So you couldn't make that rubedite armor in the breton style and finish it with a voidsteel coat for looks. The only problem with armor dyeing was that it was based off of the rarity level. So a common piece of armor would only let you color one section per armor piece, uncommon two, epic + would give you all 3/4 slots for your selected pigmentation. It was a pretty decent system.
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    nagash said:
    That is how ESO's worked. If you made something out of orichalcum it'd have a green tint, dwarven would be yellowish, voidsteel was a abyssal blue/black, rubedite would have a red coloration, etc. Here are examples on dulfy's site.

Unfortunately whatever you made it out of was what color it was and also its stats. There was no way (outside of dyeing) to add a finish to it. So you couldn't make that rubedite armor in the breton style and finish it with a voidsteel coat for looks. The only problem with armor dyeing was that it was based off of the rarity level. So a common piece of armor would only let you color one section per armor piece, uncommon two, epic + would give you all 3/4 slots for your selected pigmentation. It was a pretty decent system.
    That is a shame. I hope we can have the same idea but improved in ashes but not with all the level based stats 
  • Options
    I'm also curious if rarity will have a direct correlation with usefulness. Just take iron and gold. Gold is rarer than iron but it would make a really lousy set of armor or weapon. However, it is very valued for its appearance and due to its scarcity, used as a currency. I wonder if we will find some precious resource in-game that makes a poor weapon or armor but could be used as a custom currency or maybe after someone gets really far into a craft, they could find a very valuable use for it. Maybe it could be used as a finish/plating for armor. 

I'm just kinda tired of games having this direct correlation between level and usefulness. Like the best materials are only found in the highest zones. I'd rather it just be a random find. Like some explorer could find a node of really valuable ore and auction its location off. The best part would be that it could be anywhere in the world. Just let a higher level gatherer be able to yield more and higher quality. Watch guilds battle it out over a node of high end materials in some random low level area. They'll have their harvesters and a caravan there mining up some high-end resource while their guild runs defense.

Point is these resources should be everywhere. Maybe only 5 nodes of the best stuff are active on the world at any given time. They shouldn't be locked behind the gates of bossman at level cap.

End the end we are talking about customized armor. I don't think there should be a  massive difference between iron and steel. They should be realistic. And most people should be running around with basic tier armor and weapons until they do something to earn it or crafters start finding nodes of better stuff. And if we are suppose to have equipment that degrades I think it is a good opportunity to make things legitimately valuable by making the materials and time to make things meaningful. There shouldn't be 5 billion pieces of high-end ore sitting in an auction house waiting for hundreds of players with BIS gear to need a repair. Make things break.. make valuable things valuable in all senses of the word. Don't limit the number of material out there, just limit how fast it reappears.