Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My unrealistic hopes for AOC.

The thing about having your own shop and farm, tavern etc sounds amazing but from what I understand you need to have it on a node that has been developed  i'd love to build my home/shop out in the middle of the wilderness, just find a spot near a lake or nestled between some mountains.

If you decide to go the bandit route you could make your home in a cave and hire mercenaries to send out on pillaging missions, or maybe just to protect your home if the law found you.

Monthly horse races, you breed your mount and race off against opponents in monthly races with big prizes.

Naval battles, live on a ship.  Naming the items you create. Etc etc.

Yeah I know what you're thinking but I can dream right?

Comments

• Options
    Your freehold (land that you can place homes, farms etc on) needs to be placed in a nodes zone of influence.

However, a nodes zone of influence is quite large, and encompasses the entirety of the world around the node - and potentially expanding past other nodes if your node is high enough level.

Putting a freehold near a river or lake to build a farm on is perfectly possible. A shop may be impractical here though, as for a shop to be as successful as possible you would want foot traffic.

A freehold in a cave may be possible, but I believe a freehold in the underrealm has been discussed as a possibility by Intrepid.
  • Options
    The way the rules work, the node you make your freehold at has to be level 3.

That's just the mechanic.  
  • Options
    Yes, on much of the information above. Level 3 nodes will be fairly common and only require a couple days of effort to reach. What you need to worry about it that if the node is sieged or delevels back to a level 2, then your freehold would be packed up and have to be placed again. They have confirmed freeholds in the Underrealm. They have the same restrictions as those above ground, so finding a large enough space that doesn't hit their terrain markers may be an issue. We will have to wait and see exactly how expansive it truly is once we see more of the map beyond the 3 node A0 build that was put out to showcase their different biomes and may not be indicative of the final area size/style of Underrealm layout.
  • Options
    Most of the terrain in the game is made up of Nodes so maybe it will be possible to have an estabilishment out in the wild (obviously not somewhere where monsters roam).
  • Options

• Options
    I want to add this as a number 1 hope, I'm currently playing eso and it's a great game but then you eventually reach the inevitable conclusion that it's the same old cookie cutter stuff, there's 1 ultimate set gear, 1 ultimate build, 1 ultimate rotation,what is the point of levelling for weeks only to find out your just the same as everyone else??

When will mmo's realise variety is the spice of life? I want to be able to Google best predator gear and best predator build in aoc and see that it's impossible as there are too ma y sets to choose from as they are all created by the community.  Really excited to see how aoc will combat this.
  • Options
    Well, nobody is forcing you to take the cookie-cutter builds.
  • Options
    Aceball said:
    I want to add this as a number 1 hope, I'm currently playing eso and it's a great game but then you eventually reach the inevitable conclusion that it's the same old cookie cutter stuff, there's 1 ultimate set gear, 1 ultimate build, 1 ultimate rotation,what is the point of levelling for weeks only to find out your just the same as everyone else??

When will mmo's realise variety is the spice of life? I want to be able to Google best predator gear and best predator build in aoc and see that it's impossible as there are too ma y sets to choose from as they are all created by the community.  Really excited to see how aoc will combat this.
    What you write here is impossible. Unless you make everyithing is exactly same, there will be one, which is stronger than the others.

But noone force you to pick it. If you are dumb, then you google after it, and use someone else's build.
    But that will be same even if each would be 100%-balanced, the noobs still would just copy someone else's build, so what you write never will happen...
  • Options
    Not impossible atall, you weigh up whether you want more dps, more protection, you have a bank of stats, you are great against direct damage but not so much against shadow damage for exams, every class has a nemesis but there should never be a best in slot for all situations.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    What I'm saying is there shouldn't be a best build and set beats everything.
  • Options
    I enjoyed teh days of Lineage 2 where you could establish yourself while afk to sell goods or craft items for players. Hopefully we see something like that make a return. Usually you would just setup along a route or at an intersection next to a farming area and sell stones that helped increase dps for leveling. since Korean MMOs were a grind fest it really helped reduce the need for companies to rush the next dlc. idk i just think this would  be a nice feature even if it limited what you could sell
  • Options
    I think they confirmed you'll be able to hire NPC's to run your shop. As for crafting being AFK, I would prefer that not to be a thing.
  • Options
    Aceball said:
    Dygz said:
    What I'm saying is there shouldn't be a best build and set beats everything.
    Having the so called best is meaningless unless you know how to make good use of it.   
  • Options
    Aceball said:
    The thing about having your own shop and farm, tavern etc sounds amazing but from what I understand you need to have it on a node that has been developed  i'd love to build my home/shop out in the middle of the wilderness, just find a spot near a lake or nestled between some mountains.

If you decide to go the bandit route you could make your home in a cave and hire mercenaries to send out on pillaging missions, or maybe just to protect your home if the law found you.

Monthly horse races, you breed your mount and race off against opponents in monthly races with big prizes.

Naval battles, live on a ship.  Naming the items you create. Etc etc.

Yeah I know what you're thinking but I can dream right?
    I'm dreaming about the whole of that, too!

The freehold system pretty much will cover much of the shop and farm business.  Hopefully you can build a tavern on it, too.

The bandit route sounds fun - but so does the idea of being able to camp anywhere.  I wonder if there's a way to clear out a cave of monsters and take up residence there for a limited time?

Horse races sound nice, especially if it's a race based on animal breeding.

Naval battles is what I am most excited about!  If I could, I'd build my own humongous ship and turn it in to a floating tavern.

Naming items I create would be nice - but since I think it's something that might be abused too frequently, perhaps creating a name on top of a name... like "Sting" in The Hobbit.  Pretty sure it's just an enchanted dagger, but somehow it had to gain the name of "Sting" through lore/adventure.  I also hope that there's a personal stamp or signature on the things we create, too.
  • Options
    Steven has said we will be able to have our names on items we create.  What I don't like is it's only those who create the end product that get the credit.  Those that gather and process don't get recognition, yet the end product couldn't be made without them.
  • Options
    Honestly though, you're going to want your shop near a big town. People aren't going to schlep up to Granddad's cabin to buy some pants.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Steven has said we will be able to have our names on items we create.  What I don't like is it's only those who create the end product that get the credit.  Those that gather and process don't get recognition, yet the end product couldn't be made without them.
    I get what you're saying, but, each artisan will get credit for his/her own work, on his/her own way.

A well renowned gatherer who travels far and wide to gather the rarest resources, no matter the risk or danger, will receive much business from potential buyers of said materials. Making a name for themselves, as a master at their chosen profession.  The same goes for processors, and craftsmen(women). 

Granted, the "flashy" artisan class will most likely be the crafts-people, for those who can make exotic, quality items.  But, all are definitely equally important.
  • Options
    What ever happened to the classic form of advertising, paying a bard to hype your product/skill set.

Maybe I'll create a guild of bards that functions as an advert co., what do you think?
  • Options
    This is the beautiful part of the game that we are all looking forward to. The idea of being able to venture out into the wilderness, meet a trader or out-of-nowhere shop keeper that lives like a hermit would be iconic for an MMORPG. Everything these days is so cookie-cutter in terms of what MMOs allow and provide... Something like this can really change the tide of how people interact not only with the game, but with each other, as players.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Honestly though, you're going to want your shop near a big town. People aren't going to schlep up to Granddad's cabin to buy some pants.
    If your Granddad has an isolated cabin out in the woods where he's offering pants to people, the authorities might want to know about it.
  • Options
    Noaani said:

Putting a freehold near a river or lake to build a farm on is perfectly possible. A shop may be impractical here though, as for a shop to be as successful as possible you would want foot traffic.
    Gamers will travel across whole worlds of planets harvesting and mining and seeking out coveted resources - its very plausible the foot traffic would be built in by word of mouth and map coordinates quite easily.

In SWG we traveled a network of worlds and merchants for coveted supplies and would work in reoccurring deals to purchase from automated vendors at a certain time and place on a daily or weekly basis. The beauty of allowing a world to build its own commerce is, the world will build its own commerce.

I do recall the Egg incident though. Id open up several of our houses for drop offs and my friends filled every room with eggs. It took a while to use up that resource and I didnt leave the doors unlocked often after that.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    What ever happened to the classic form of advertising, paying a bard to hype your product/skill set.

Maybe I'll create a guild of bards that functions as an advert co., what do you think?
    Look me up in game. Id love to work with your network down the roads.
  • Options
    This is the beautiful part of the game that we are all looking forward to. The idea of being able to venture out into the wilderness, meet a trader or out-of-nowhere shop keeper that lives like a hermit......

I agree. This is an element from SWG that I hope is brought back into games