Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Movement

My two cents:

This might be a trival topic, but it's one for me, since I am a verteran MMO player I have never saw perfectly in an MMO 
with realistic climbing / crawling over rocks, you hit a wall, and you can just continualy keep animating
walking / running while against the wall, going up a slope and the incline of the slope has no effect on the 
speed of movement...(running out of breath?) things of this nature.

I'll name one game in particular that has come close: Black Desert Online comes close to perfecting this, all though there is no animation setup for true mountain 
climbing, you can "step up" over terrain objects.

Literally every single MMO that I have played does not implement this realistic real world natured movement: (Now I am not subjecting that there should be 
animation for tripping over a twig or a rock for instance...)

This type of movement gives a game a truly realistic feel, and in all honesty climbing rock faces would be an awesome PVP element.
As many would agree, in a tough bout, one would be happy with the option to run from an opponent by climbing up a wall to escape?

Now stretching across console platforms, I would have to say, The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild absolutly NAILS this mechanic. 
I would be happy to see this type of environmental leaping, climbing, to be implemented in such an exciting game that I know Ashes of 
Creation can / will be.

Do not take this post as a demand of course, but again I go back to, for PVE at least, this is important for 
realism; are we not all there to play and escape?

Cheers everyone!

Comments

• Options
    Why would you continually run at a wall?
    (sorry, I have been slightly confrontational today)

In all honesty we all hope for the most realistic physics and appropriate looking animations (accounting for fantasy/magic/blahblahblah) as possible. However, it is an animated game and I'm not sure if the time to animate a character that runs into a wall to react to it is worth it.

If during PvP someone tried to climb a rock face I would probably hit them. Then if they didn't fall it wouldn't be realistic. As for realism and an escape, it's not VR (yet) and the avatars/world/etc. is animated.

In a game that incorporates environmental puzzles like Legend of Zelda or Tomb Raider these things are necessary. If not implemented well it looks lazy and feels cheap. I am not sure if Ashes is going to have a lot of focus on environmental puzzles. That can be a pain in an MMO without all of them being instances.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    Why would you continually run at a wall?
    (sorry, I have been slightly confrontational today)

In all honesty we all hope for the most realistic physics and appropriate looking animations (accounting for fantasy/magic/blahblahblah) as possible. However, it is an animated game and I'm not sure if the time to animate a character that runs into a wall to react to it is worth it.

If during PvP someone tried to climb a rock face I would probably hit them. Then if they didn't fall it wouldn't be realistic. As for realism and an escape, it's not VR (yet) and the avatars/world/etc. is animated.

In a game that incorporates environmental puzzles like Legend of Zelda or Tomb Raider these things are necessary. If not implemented well it looks lazy and feels cheap. I am not sure if Ashes is going to have a lot of focus on environmental puzzles. That can be a pain in an MMO without all of them being instances.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the reply,

I agree with all of the above you mentioned 100% (all though I believe I referred to a game NOT having this type of cheap animation or lack there of when you hit a wall and do nothing but run), interacting with the environment is an absolutely essential part of an MMO, as I believe the DEV's mentioned in one of their gameplay videos. If all you had was just tab targeting-button/smashing-click killing / linear traveling, then that would make for a very monotonous game, but we all know this..

Dev's...for you, consider your environment and the interactions with it as if were another player, and you will have something even more unique! Exploration in PVE, for very large percentage of players is what drives them to play MMO's in the first place.

I myself am not into puzzles all that much all-though Tomb raider series has some good (and frustrating) ones, but for instance, climbing a rock face up into a inaccessible cave to encounter a boss to help a local NPC (example quest / event) is totally realistic, climbing is not only for puzzles but can aid in creating quest narratives.

Cheers!

• Options
    The elves in Warhammer Online moved like they had corn cobs stuck up their rear ends.  
  • Options
    That wasn't corn, Honey!!
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    The elves in Warhammer Online moved like they had corn cobs stuck up their rear ends.  
    Don't get me started about elves in warhammer
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    I would love for movement and climbing like in the assassins creed series stuffed into a MMO.

Think of being a Rogue in wow and being able to scale stormwind walls cloaked to infiltrate the city unknown. That would be an interesting spin on the genre.
  • Options
    Zelda is a single player game. It is not the same thing as an MMORPG. It is possible to implement advanced moments but I personaly don't think it is necessary, as of right now. I am not against it though.