Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will a Bard work??

Title says it all. Just curious on peoples thoughts on how the Bard will play? I havent found really anything on it other than the kickstarter page which says the bard is "Truly a force multiplier, the Brad weaves songs of glory and conquest, inspiring his comrades to even greater heights. The Bard knows secret and powerful words, able to speak into being terrible nightmares or to convince foes to become friends"

To me it basically sounds like the Bard uses its music to Buff members of the party, and its songs are spells? 

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, I feel like the Bard in Ashes, will most likely be most similar to the same named class in EQ.  Without putting up a wall of text, a link to EQ's bard is below.

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Bard

• Options
    A sample description from the link I posted.  For those who don't trust links, or just can't be bothered, lol.

"Bards are jack-of-all-trades adventurers who use music to create a wide variety of magical effects. Though they often use melee weapons, bards are primarily a magic-using class, with the ability to wear plate armor and wield many different types of weapons and instruments.

Bards can do a little bit of everything. Their songs can regenerate health and mana, increase attack speed and accuracy, momentarily charm angry enemies, help friends resist many types of damage and even directly damage enemies. Bards are perhaps best known, however, for their ability to greatly increase the foot speed of their group.

Bards have the unique ability to create multiple abilities at once. By weaving different songs together, a bard can customize effects to any situation. This makes nimble fingers and quick thinking a must for those who want to play a bard.

Bards do well both alone and in groups. With the right combination of songs, they can adapt to many challenges. The bard is a great class for players who enjoy a wide variety of play options but are quick to adapt to a changing situation."

• Options
    @freespiryt sounds interesting, I never played EQ, but the idea of using music as spells for damage/healing.. basically a jack of all trades it kinda cool
  • Options
    I think they will be a caster, weaving songs to do damage and build up the team from ranged position on the battle field much like a Mage is ranged. What I gather from the little bits of info we have gotten so far. 
  • Options
    It is easy to imagine how bard will support allies and distract enemies with music and songs. But how will be the combat part implemented? Thats the big questions imo.
  • Options
    "Bards are intended to amplify a party or raid's ability to perform within their own class. That amplification isn't just intended for DPS, but also for support, for healing, for taking damage, for movement. Bards have often been portrayed as a musical class and while they can be that, many Bard applications may exist in just telling a story. Telling a story is going to be the thematic component of how the Bard interacts with the party. And that story is going to enhance player's abilities to perform. Very similar in a way to buffing up a party, but you are not going to see him as a "buff bot" that you might have experienced in previous games, where they are only good for their buffs and then you kick them out of party and they sit in a corner and come back in 30 minutes. Those buffs are going to be related to how they perform. If they are engaged in combat and they land a skill shot against a target, allies within a certain range of that Bard are going to be granted a temporary buff that relates to the skill that the bard used against a target. Let's say the Bard is using a weapon, has a sword out and... does some gladiatorial looking performance attack and it looks so great. It inspires his friends around him to increase their multiplier on critical damage, and now they deal additional damage against targets for the next 10 seconds or 8 seconds. So, you're going to need to be active. You're going to worry about your position, the relation of the position of your party members to you in order to accentuate really what you offer the party"

Quote from Steven at PAX East:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-sX1aFljM&feature=youtu.be&t=46m11s

I can't wait to see the class in action :3 Sounds very interactive and exciting!
  • Options
    As long as they won't be a pure support class that only buffs others I think it will be good.
  • Options
    As long as they won't be a pure support class that only buffs others I think it will be good.
    True. Imo giving possibility to mix support (buffs), distraction (debuffs) and damage in different ways would sound really good.  
  • Options
    Honestly, I feel like the Bard in Ashes, will most likely be most similar to the same named class in EQ.  Without putting up a wall of text, a link to EQ's bard is below.

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Bard

I really hope you're right. I want to include bard skills with my character so bad either as a summoner + bard (enchanter) or with a tank. Either way I loved bard in EQ1 and 2.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Obviously a bard will work by going into our storage closet, dusting off that old guitar hero controller, and guitar button mashing matching tempo to the battle music
  • Options
    TimmyS7F said:
    Obviously a bard will work by going into our storage closet, dusting off that old guitar hero controller, and guitar button mashing matching tempo to the battle music
    If that was to happen I may just play bard 
  • Options
    Eq2 bards were separated into two bards, Troub and Dirge

Troub Buffed, mages and healers- increasing mana in combat, increasing spell double attack, CD regen on big spells (jester cap), increasing focus etc, mezz as cc, movement speed etc.

Dirge buffed Melee and tanks, buffing parry, slashing etc, using fears as cc, adding affects to stack on melee attacks a silence/knockback (BOC blade of chimes)- bards were critical classes in Eq2 raid scene 4 were needed in the raid, 2 of each. I agree bard will play a lot like what eq2 had probably more skill intensive with abilities buffing said party members after landing an ability or skill shot.
  • Options
    Okay so their wings are shaped in such a way that they are flatter on the bottom and more rounded on the top, like an airplane wing.  So the slower movement of air above the wing has weaker air pressure than the faster air below, giving it lift.  They gain forward thrust when they flap their wings, which move almost like they are "swimming" through the air.  The feathers give their wings extra surface area to allow them to push against the air more efficiently.  Also, their hollow bones help reduce their overall density so that they don't require as much lift to stay aloft.

Oh, wait...  You said BARDS not BIRDS...  Never mind, I dunno how they fly.
  • Options
    *points down at his sig and grins*