Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be achievements in AOC?

i was just wondering if there were going to be achievements that players can work on 

Comments

• Options
    Yes, a plethora of achievements of all the skittle colors of the rainbow have been promised. 
  • Options
    ok great
  • Options
    will there be mounts t
  • Options
    AntwonnTV said:
    will there be mounts t
    yes there are mounts but only the leaders of nodes can use flying mounts for a short time.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    AntwonnTV said:
    will there be mounts t
    yes there are mounts but only the leaders of nodes can use flying mounts for a short time.
    All mounts can fly for a short time.

The amount of time the mount can fly is dependent on how high up you were before you jumped off.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    AntwonnTV said:
    will there be mounts t
    All mounts can fly for a short time.

The amount of time the mount can fly is dependent on how high up you were before you jumped off.
    Well when you put it like that 
  • Options
    Actually the leader of a guild castle will be able to fly on a mount not the leader of a node.
  • Options
    Leader of a metropolis node (limited to 5 per server, same as castles) get a flying mount. Those mounts have requirements and timed restrictions on them.

• Options
    One can always jump off a ledge and hope to soar.
  • Options
    AntwonnTV said:
    i was just wondering if there were going to be achievements that players can work on 
    I hope there are plenty of achievements, I dont see any reason why there wouldn't be any.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    I hope there aren't any achievements. They give us a "list of things to do", which kind of kills the mistery in the world and the exploration aspect a lot. If you can up your achievement tab to see what you haven't got yet... it is less of an open world exploration and more of a checklist to mark. I hate that in WoW and I think it hurts the game in long term.

Furthermore, if the achievement system can be shared with others, or browsed by other players, it is even worse. This kind of system supports the elitist mentality. Soon you see messages on the LFG chat like "LFM for Dungeon X, only experienced players, link achievement or no invite."... This is ridiculous.

So please, no achievements. MMORPGs are about exploration and community. Let us the players decide what is an achievement, let us make our own goals as we explore the world. Let the experience of older players who know the world better be worth something, so they can guide newer players through areas they haven't gone yet. If there is an achievement page, all of that is pretty much gone. The more detail achievements have, the worse.

EDIT: I know servers in AoC will be dynamic and very different from each other, making achievements necessarily generic. Still, I hate the idea. I think a game like this will have tons of ways to be played. Achievements only limit those ways in the mind of the players, saying what gives you a perk and what doesn't. It's still bad.
  • Options
    I hope they add it in from start. I used to play swtor, and they added it in later. And i missed out on quite a bit of the kill achivements, as I had already maxed out some of the chars
    I somewhat like guildwars 2 system. Like in alot of achivement systems you get points. But in their system, you get rewards for reaching various point stages. Which does you can get use out of most of the achievements, even though they don't give a reward in themself. Though some mmo's have boring rewards for achievements. I think in ESO, you just get some titles, and dyes
  • Options
    If you say it enough times youll believe it. If you believe hard enough you will achieve it! Now i believe i can fly... i'll just let someone else jump first
  • Options
    If you say it enough times youll believe it. If you believe hard enough you will achieve it! Now i believe i can fly... i'll just let someone else jump first
    just hang out with me on day one thats what i'm going to do ^^
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I liked achievements in WoW and i tried to collect all i could. I dont see any bad with achievements, because everybody has freedom to choose to do those or leave those be. We did a lot of group and raid achievement content at weekends and those were so much fun activity. In Ashes those can actually be usefull when players will explore and travel more in open world. Maybe in Ashes some achievements could be more like trophies or medals, which you can use as decorations to your house. 
  • Options
    I think it's been touched upon, but I hope they are account wide.  The most annoying thing about ESO is the fact that they are divided up per toon.  I get the logic, but as an achievement junkie it's rather annoying.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    dracdoc said:
    I think it's been touched upon, but I hope they are account wide.  The most annoying thing about ESO is the fact that they are divided up per toon.  I get the logic, but as an achievement junkie it's rather annoying.
    True. That is why WoW made the change to account wide several years ago. That way it was made easier to players change their main without loosing all achievement progressios and status.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I like achievements when they're meaningful, requiring directed effort toward the goal, rather than things that can be incidentally or easily completed while just playing the game: e.g. Reach level 20.

It would be cool if there were a handful of unique achievements that involved easter eggs (lore-friendly of course) and may take months for people to find.
  • Options
    Ravudha said:
    I like achievements when they're meaningful, requiring directed effort toward the goal, rather than things that can be incidentally or easily completed while just playing the game: e.g. Reach level 20.

It would be cool if there were a handful of unique achievements that involved easter eggs (lore-friendly of course) and may take months for people to find.
    I hear ya. 

Actually just recently my friend got the max achievement for gathering (I think it's like gathering 10,000 times).  We did some quick calculations as to how long that would have actually taken and came out with roughly 9 hours of playtime.

He went from being elated to depressed  :D