Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Idea: Node Citizen Ranking System

Just kinda popped in my head, what if a citizen ranking system was implemented within the node one took citizenship to.

Everyone Starts with no ranking and the more you participate in furthering your node the more you rank up. Each rank would also include the rewards of previous ranks.

But wait there is a catch, Grieving Players out in the World can lower you Citizenship Rank and for every PK(2) you lose one Rank and killing a player who is a citizen of the same node as you would cause you to lose all your ranks.

Some other stipulations could be thrown out there such as one cannot lead a node without having max Rank of Citizenship so you know the ppl running for Ruler of the node has the best interests at heart when it comes to the Node itself.

Rank-1: Node Tabard
Rank-2: Plus 10% Mount Speed
Rank-3: Plus 10% Increase Speed on Caravans
Rank-4: 25% off of Goods sold by NPCs within your Home Nodes Zone

Just an out of the whim idea, what do you guys think? Bounce some ideas off this, lets get some cool discussions going on.

@Nagash you seem to come up with some good ideas, have an opinion?

Comments

• Not a fan of losing rank for pk. otherwise i wouldn't mind a ranking system
  • My only concern would be once you get to a certain stage, how do you attack new dedicated players if they will be starting so far behind. I don't think this would matter if it only related to things like tabards and some stat increases, but I do think it would matter if it impacted the politics of the node. 

As long as it does not impact the politics and standing of individuals, I think it's not a bad idea.
  • Eh not particularly excited about the notion of a ranking system for something like citizenship... for arenas, guilds and so on it is a good idea however for citizenship is a bit too much in my opinion.
  • Not sure why there would have to be yet another reason for bonuses. The benefits of being proactive are related to how the leadership of each node functions and rewards for how the node is developed.

Another way to get more bonuses? I have to ask, why?
  • Citizenship could be a feature that a guild could set up for its members, maybe not in the same fashion but maybe to seperate "node citizen ranks" and "Guild ranks" as in a guild officer who organises the guild and its media doesnt neccesarily have to be someone with a high standing within the city. So maybe give the guild an option to rank citizens and its guild members diffrently. Same but diffrent :p
  • Azathoth said:
    Not sure why there would have to be yet another reason for bonuses. The benefits of being proactive are related to how the leadership of each node functions and rewards for how the node is developed.

Another way to get more bonuses? I have to ask, why?
    Bonus are just incentives that's all, just a blank idea and to put incentives as a starting point was just the easiest route to go.
  • Fantmx said:
    My only concern would be once you get to a certain stage, how do you attack new dedicated players if they will be starting so far behind.
    I don't quiet understand what you mean by that. do you mean how would a new player advance in citizenship if the Node is already fully advanced?

If that's what you mean it would still be the same just help maintain the node pay your taxes on time, help caravans, help city defense ex: A world boss decides to attack a node because it hates those elves for having a massive city near its home. those would also help increase your citizenship ranking.
  • Just a bunch or random thoughts as I am bombarded with other things:

I think it would add a needless complication.   How or who would judge who would receive or advance ranks?  Guilds generally do have a ranking system.   Some towns leaders are elected.  Nothing is static.  Towns and nodes aren't static. If too much was made of a citizen ranking system  couldn't it create a type of caste system?
    Who decides what makes a good citizen or how  much time one needs to invest in "citizenship duties"? 

If a guild controls a township, sets the taxes and decides what can be built and when, does it not put it's members at a better advantage to gathering citizenship ranks and privileges?    

If one person puts much time in gathering or farming and not into what others would consider citizenship duties, but has to pay a higher price for a caravan, or have a lesser mount speed how fair is that? 

As I said, random thoughts.  :)
  • Another brilliant deduction by @CylverRayne

Bonuses for incentives? No. This always leads to "... have to do X so I can max out all bonuses..." It the end it's not an incentive, it's a necessary requirement.

fyi, I have been against almost every attempt to add bonuses to the game.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Two thoughts and an alternative idea

That very much seems a system that overly values quantity over quality empowering time-rich players while putting a glass ceiling on everyone else.

Sometimes you really do need a good character with a pixelated sword to stop a bad character with a pixelated sword, fellow node citizen or not.

Some form of Achievement system with it's own perks for recognition of node development contributions might satisfy the same intent with fewer balancing issues.  More titles, cosmetics/flair, and names on city plaques, statues, and monuments and less piling-on of actual gamplay bonuses or content gating.  A kind of visual ad-hoc node historical record made up of objects, places, and citizen appearances.
  • Agreed, I would be okay with the node's main city having a wall of 'founders.' Or cornerstone plaques for major contributors to major buildings. But given players rewards for playing the game in one of the intended ways is odd.

Also, node perks could prevent players from migrating. I feel like moving should be an easy decision and not involve "...but I'll have to start my citizenship perk tree over..."
  • Isn't there a player rank system in military nodes. Highest rated player is the leader of it or something like it.
  • The node types should come with their own ranking systems.
    Military is combat.
    Economic is commerce (leadership can be bought and sold)
    Divine is service-oriented quests.
    Scientific is voting.

Having loss of citizenship rank tied to PvP combat is very odd.
    Especially when not involving fellow citizens.
  • Fleelix said:
    Isn't there a player rank system in military nodes. Highest rated player is the leader of it or something like it.
    I believe that's how military node works and that one leader doesn't get voted out either to my knowledge more of a dictatorship. Though I could be wrong