Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP in a PvE area ? ambushed ?

From what I understand I can be doing a PvE quest while all of a sudden a group can come and attack me out of no where and kill me and hinder my progress ?

I do understand it add flavor and kinda make you not feel all the time safe .But if I play solo and get ganked by a group of people in PvE quest how am I supposed to feel good about my progress ?

I am coming from playing ESO where PvP is a different zone while PvE is a zone of its on.

I just worry that there will be bandits looking to kill solo or weak group people . 

I know there will be penalty for doing it a lot. 

I am worry if I have to restart a quest or get to a point I cannot progress becsaue a group camp a zone and gank people I might get very frustrated by the game. As if I will be forced to join a guild for protection . 

Any thoughts about it ? I am hyped for the game . thinking to back it up either 250$ or 500$ depends on my next week salary LOL 

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    We don't know enough about quests to say what being killed will do to your progression in a quest and it probably will vary depending on the quest. With the corruption system discouraging pvp you shouldn't be attacked often while doing a quest unless the it takes you into a high value area. Unless the quest has you gathering resources, there probably isn't much of a reason for people to attack you while doing them.

I'd imagine, quests will be designed with the pvp risk in mind and you should never be in a state where you can't complete a quest because you got killed at the wrong time. I also doubt quests will force you to restart often because of a pk. If a quest has you gathering resources then being pked might reduce your progress. 

Yes, the system will encourage you to play with others but you should be able to go it solo without too much trouble.

Glad you are excited! I am too......';..;'
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    This interview from the developer last year should help you understand the mechanics behind their plan for open world pvp. Remember, if pvp isn't your thing, you can just stand there and let them decide after whacking on you for a bit whether they are willing to take the corruption hit. Also, there are no full loot mechanics planned where you lose your items, unless you are running around with a high level of corruption, which means you made that choice to risk your stuff.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
  • Options
    It might be a pain for some people that you could be attacked in a lot of places but the price that the gankers would pay (corrupted status) would be pretty severe too.
  • Options
    Severity is relative and also related to how often the corrupt player was able to do it without being killed off.

For the most part I have not thought about the effects of PvP while on quest. I have never been a fan of timed quest though, and it seems like outside of time quest this would not be an issue. I doubt quest items will be loot (even if they are raw materials).

However, in stories/movies/shows/etc. all heroes are challenged while on their quest. It's a big part of the quest. Roaming PvP in that case is, to me, no different than a mob I was unable to conquer (assuming the roaming PvP group/person beat me).

Old school D&D players should be familiar with running into monsters that are, quite often, above their level even during a quest. For me it adds an aspect to, run or fight, or stay and don't fight.

In general I am not a fan of being subjected to PvP if I don't fight back, or in Ashes case, flagged for PvP. For Ashes though it would make the most sense that players would not be immune to PvP because of an active quest.
  • Options
    I think you need to look way beyond ESO to understand why the PvP system is the way it is in AoC. Do not expect many (if any) mechanics from ESO to be applied here.
  • Options
    The corruption system should hopefully discourage much random ganking. 
     On the other hand, running into a dangerous or high level mob is always a danger when questing. Either one can be a hindrance or cause a delay in your quest.   What fun would it be without danger?   
  • Options
    Yeah ESO pvp is fake, just like wow, Tera almost got it right. No meaning, no depth. It is to be a fully open world where the players choices are actually meaningfull and availible. 

This system does allow for treachery, and it is possible if a large enough group decide to act together to lock another group out of an area for a period of time equal to thier dedications and ability.  Just one example of this are castles. However this adds an actuall challenge and a bit of risk to the game. Makes it more intense, more fulfilling.

To me this open world pvp mechanic is a defining element in any mmorpg or it is not really an mmorpg. Anything less feels like I'm playing g just another singleplayer rpg game. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    smh that some people think that MMORPGs are MMOFPSs, but...I digress.

Anyways, most PvPers will likely be focused on PvP combat in battlegrounds - where there is no Corruption. The design vision is that Corruption will also minimize attacking strangers who are minding their own business.

We will have to see how it all works out once players actually play.
  • Options

To me this open world pvp mechanic is a defining element in any mmorpg or it is not really an mmorpg. Anything less feels like I'm playing g just another singleplayer rpg game. 
    Open world PvP has nothing to do with defining MMORPG. MMORPG can be either PvP or PvE centric or anything between those two extremes. And if we need to choose which one goes better in MMORPG's definition, it will for sure be PvE, which is the base for whole game type and genre. Open world PvP is just a feature, which is not actually needed at all when defining MMORPGS'. Just the interaction between players are different without OWPvP and focus is more in co-op against environment.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    From what I understand I can be doing a PvE quest while all of a sudden a group can come and attack me out of no where and kill me and hinder my progress ?

I do understand it add flavor and kinda make you not feel all the time safe .But if I play solo and get ganked by a group of people in PvE quest how am I supposed to feel good about my progress ?

I am worry if I have to restart a quest or get to a point I cannot progress becsaue a group camp a zone and gank people I might get very frustrated by the game. As if I will be forced to join a guild for protection . 
    This is why i'm hoping that Intrepid puts some in-depth thought into the majority of Combat ... 
    •  ( via fining a balance between Action-Combat & Tab-target - applying them whereas needed, but also thinking outside the box ) ... 
    And the technical side of Combat. Preventing the term, " meta " from existing
    • ( making every archetype & every build viable ). 
    Resulting in 3v1 & 2v1 being balanced-out ; if its mostly Skill-based as opposed to Gear determining the victor ( including other potential factors ) , then ...

Basically, if Combat is crafted well, then i'd like to see 3v1 or 2v1 - giving that 1 individual a chance to fight/ defend/ escape etc ... against the 3
    • The " 1 " being you
    • The " 3 " being the Opponent
    The " 1 " individual doesn't have to necessarily defeat all of them ... but maybing having multiple abilities that could aid in escaping alive. And vice versa via for the other players.

In short, Shenanigans, shenanigans, shenanigans ...
    • it sounds like you don't want Open World PvP ? Arena PvP gets predictable over time. And it no longer becomes fun
    • The Corruption System ties into the Arena PvP & Open World PvP. But its mainly for Open World PvP ( when a player enters an Arena PvP, their Username changes to a Purple Name. Once that Player leaves the Arena PvP, there name will remain Purple for some-time before reverting back to Green ... so as long as the Player doesn't engage or gets attacked by another Player 
    • I think its important to note there are no Factions, so faction-sabotage wont exists. Rather, the opponents will be determined based on the Individual player.
    •    In short, Ashes of Creation will favor the SandBox Style as opposed to the ThemePark Style - so everything will be unpredictable 

I feel as though you won't have to worry to much. Not abilities will be just for attacking. If intrepid crafts multiple abilities ( with multiple effects ) , then they can be utilized by other means ... such as trying to escape.Or Defensively. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Open world PvP has nothing to do with defining MMORPG. MMORPG can be either PvP or PvE centric or anything between those two extremes. And if we need to choose which one goes better in MMORPG's definition, it will for sure be PvE, which is the base for whole game type and genre. Open world PvP is just a feature, which is not actually needed at all when defining MMORPGS'. Just the interaction between players are different without OWPvP and focus is more in co-op against environment.
    You mean the same PVE personnel that blow through the content of the game in 1 month then complain the game is borning and jump ship to the next shiny thing??? :: condescendingly:: please tell me more how you are the bed rock of longevity for MMORPGS 🤣
  • Options
    Flatline said:
    Ferryman said:

You mean the same PVE personnel that blow through the content of the game in 1 month then complain the game is borning and jump ship to the next shiny thing??? :: condescendingly:: please tell me more how you are the bed rock of longevity for MMORPGS 🤣
    No i am not talking about those players. You make it sound that all PvE centric players are acting like that and you presume Ashes has nothing more to offer than short raid-end content. You are so out tracks and you clearly did not understand my point so i guess it wil be vain to try explain it more simply.  
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

The interaction between players wouldn't be different w/o pvp, they would be limited. Remember how Wow sucks balls?

Owpvp IS a defining element,  or else you can only "role play" someone else's morals based vision, being forced to always be the content non volatile bible thumper who's only recourse in a disagreement is a strongly worded shout.

No ty, I'll take the ability to defend my hunting spot/caravan/ect. I'll also reserve the right to infringe upon yours should we have a difference of opinion. Way better and more entertaining than all this typing we are doing now. 

-CS
  • Options
    Flatline said:
    Ferryman said:

The players who race through any game, PvP or PVE are the exception dear boy.  They are the ones, both PvP and PVE who complain of boredom the most.  Their main goal is to see who is first or who is best.  The majority of players take their time to enjoy the ride,  not race to complain, crash and burn.
  • Options
    Flatline said:
    Ferryman said:

By far the worst group of players to jump ship are PvP players.

A new PvP centric game comes out, you get two PvP guilds on one server, without fail one of them has moved on to a new MMO within a month.

PvP centric players don't like actual PvP, they like domination. If they find themselves challenged in a game, they go to another game.

This is why they don't play top end PvE content. Top end PvE content is far more challenging than any PvP content. In PvP content, one group of players always wins. Since this isn't the case in PvE content (good PvE content, at least) those players that only wish to dominate simply can't handle it. Fact is, even though it is often (not always) more predictable than PvP content, high end PvE content is far, far more difficult than any PvP content.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

The interaction between players wouldn't be different w/o pvp, they would be limited. Remember how Wow sucks balls?

Owpvp IS a defining element,  or else you can only "role play" someone else's morals based vision, being forced to always be the content non volatile bible thumper who's only recourse in a disagreement is a strongly worded shout.

No ty, I'll take the ability to defend my hunting spot/caravan/ect. I'll also reserve the right to infringe upon yours should we have a difference of opinion. Way better and more entertaining than all this typing we are doing now. 

-CS
    No, it is definitely not limited, that is just OWPvP pov. It is about where is the focus of the game and which kind of interaction between players are wanted.

No-one has tried to take open world PvP out from you or from Ashes. That is not the point. You obviously presumed, that i am against Ashes system and i am PvE centric player. You went really wrong there. It is not actually my opinnion, that MMORPG does not need to incluede OWPvP to be a MMORPG. It just pure fact and people should really read and learn little bit more about what MMORPG actually means. 
  • Options
    I think the real key is to encourage group play. The real anti-mmo element is the prevalence of solo play. Nothing kills a game like making 99% of the game solo-able. It is the relationships that get you to log back in and run some dungeons/ do some questing/ do some pvp. 
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I think the real key is to encourage group play. The real anti-mmo element is the prevalence of solo play. Nothing kills a game like making 99% of the game solo-able. It is the relationships that get you to log back in and run some dungeons/ do some questing/ do some pvp. 

Just some thoughts:

Ashes is a community based game and encourages group play and working together.
    There is a place for solo play as well according to Steven.   Granted more would be accomplished working with others.   Solo play doesn't discourage or take away from the mmo element as you say. It is just another facet of mmo that people can enjoy.
    Not everything you do in the game world relies on a group nor should it.  It just takes longer and most times is more difficult.

There are times people just need to chill and get away from the crowds.  Also as in real life there are many people who shy away from big groups.  That's just a fact of life.  Why should they not be able to mingle when able or hindered from following a path that they choose?  Not  everyone plays at the same time of day/night or is able to play when there is a greater population.   Mornings are usually quiet and not that easy to find a group.  Should people not play at those times because of lack of solo activities?  

I believe Ashes is going to be an all inclusive game in the sense that it will try to appeal to most everyone.   Defending a caravan, building a town,   crafting and gathering all can be soloable as well as group and often quests are involved.

I've not played any mmo game in 20+ years that was 99% solo-able unless it was deemed a single player game and ya those are 100% solo-able.

Does this mean I am encouraging solo dungeons? No way. 
    High level players do tend to run lower level dungeons solo though.   
  • Options
    The "issue" isn't as much literal solo play but parallel play where you are playing with others around you but you aren't really interacting or playing with them. 
  • Options
    Killing people randomly in "safe" areas will be extremly punishing and just not worth it. It will happen very rarely. There will be dangerous territory where people or groups can ambush you but that is simple up to you not getting caught. This system has been used in many large MMOs and it has never been a real problem. Watch your back or get some friends or get smart. It will add meaning to this world having this kind of PvP
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    What kills MMORPGs is too much of an emphasis on combat - and not enough emphasis on other RP activities, like diplomacy. 
    Ashes is taking a huge step in the right direction with the inclusion of utility abilities.

After 2010, we should expect there to be a considerable amount of player-run, non-combat social events, from Freehold decorating to pet breeding to costume parties.
    What's important is continuing to give players something interesting to do.
    Static content doesn't help.

Dynamic content should keep players immersed in the game - as well as immersed in the world.
    Features like Monster Coin Events should help with that.

• Options
    Killing people randomly in "safe" areas will be extremly punishing and just not worth it. It will happen very rarely. There will be dangerous territory where people or groups can ambush you but that is simple up to you not getting caught. 
    The end result of all of this, would be based on how they structured Combat. Imagine some abilities 
    • not having a range-limit
    • not having a parameter limit
    • not requiring a target
    And a bunch of other things to consider