Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Particle and Combat Effects

Hello everyone,
I´ve recently watched some of the livestreams and while i quite enjoyed what i saw, a constant annoyance were the huge particle and combat effects that made enemies almost invisible and hard to see what was going on during combat.
Have the devs said anything about if thats the way they want to have it or if they´re going to change it eventually?

Comments

• Jackless said:
    Hello everyone,
    I´ve recently watched some of the livestreams and while i quite enjoyed what i saw, a constant annoyance were the huge particle and combat effects that made enemies almost invisible and hard to see what was going on during combat.
    Have the devs said anything about if thats the way they want to have it or if they´re going to change it eventually?

Everything you see in the videos is pre-alpha and is mainly placeholder and subject to constant change. So I would not worry too much at this point about the graphics 
  • Just like Nagash said all of this is pre-alpha and shouldn't be even considered as finished, they will take into account complaints from the playerbase to improve things like this too so I wouldn't worry about it too much :3
  • That worried me, too, but I have faith that it will be "fixed" by game time.  Like so many other aspects that worry people like combat, it's not ready yet, they are still designing it.
  • thanks for all the answers! Im of course aware that this is still pre Alpha and I dont judge the game based on that.
    Im just curious if the developers may said something about that or so ;)
  • I'm on board for the 'less effects' train
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    I've seen this mentioned quite a bit and I am sure they are aware.  :) Yes, at the current stage some effects are too bright, and some are too large and they are bound to be tweaked. I'm definitely not saying another voice on the matter is unnecessary! The more people that come forward and agree on this, the more solid that piece of feedback becomes. So thanks for sharing this.  :#
  • Early on but always good to bring up suggestions as things are being developed. 
  • In regards to particle effects, I 'd want to see a system where I can elect to show more particle effects when there are only a few people around, but that automatically adjusts down to show less when there are a higher number of people nearby.

I mean, particle effects are great when you're out soloing, or in a single group. When it gets to large scale PvP, multiple groups running PvE content near each other or large raids though, those particle effects quickly start to look like a congealed mass of rancid unicorn vomit.

Every game I've played so far has required manual adjustment of particle effects - which results in me leaving it at a setting appropriate for 100+ players on screen.

If Intrepid are going to put *any* time in to particle effects, it would be great if they could make it so we actually see them some times.
  • I wouldn't want the amount of particle effects to be handled by the game.  Many people have visual reasons to want none at all scaling to the works.  I would much rather be able to manually set what is comfortable than rely on "the game" to decide for me.
  • Why not have both, an option to adjust the particle effects as you go through the word as well as the option to have a fixed amount of particle effects that suits your preference ?
    I'd like to have both options.
  • Why limit particle effects?? some people like flashy skills.

Just make sure you can turn particles down if desired, for those who cant afford a good pc.

Im a huge fan of epic looking skills.
    I have to agree I love casting over the top spells it makes me feel like the very magic around me is at my beck and call 

Just make sure you can turn particles down if desired, for those who cant afford a good pc.

Yea i love the over the top gaudy effects.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    I love some gaudy, over the top spells, but when all you see is a big ball of light, it defeats the purpose and you can't tell one from the other.

yeah but when you and 20 other people are all casting the flashy skills on top of each other, all the epileptics fall over.