Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Roleplay choices and freedom

Hi

I always loved games that allowed you to embark in quests that were purely designed to give the world a more roleplaying aspect. Example: quests to become a vampire or a werewolf (skyrim and eso). I think they add a lot to the game as you can personify more with your character and make him/her follow the desired path in line with your character "alignment". Coming from D&D I believe this would really make AoC 10 times better, as an example the thought of being able to become a Lich is quite soothing, maybe in a very long and difficult quest for magic classes only. This was only and example but I hope you get my point. Will AoC have any of this? I really hope that they will. I know a lot of people, me included, that would be very happy to see something like this implemented

Comments

• That would be a good question to ask Steven on today's broadcast.
  • I will be in the stream for sure. How can i formulate the question so that it is clear and concise?
  • There might be a place in discord assigned to questions.   
    Also you can ask on this thread and hopefully your question will be picked.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/39412/official-livestream-june-4th-3-pm-pst-q-a-thread

I think this may have been asked in the past.   My mind tends to get fuzzy. lol

Simply put,  Will we have the ability through quests or otherwise to become werewolves, vampires or some other mythical form?   
  • As long as the abilities/bonuses for being a Vamp or Lycan replace racial abilities/bonuses I'm down. Just using it as another way to gain bonuses or extra abilities would be lame.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    They talked about this today with the "hidden classes" answer. You might be able to change certain abilities through augments or cosmetics. Remember, none of the racial cosmetics will change abilities(to an unavailable ability for those that dont have the skin), the very p2w mechanics they are going to avoid. So you could change your beam attack with an augment to look like it was a blood drain, it won't have any more power than the regular beam attack.
  • They talked about this today with the "hidden classes" answer. You might be able to change certain abilities through augments or cosmetics. Remember, none of the racial cosmetics will change abilities(to an unavailable ability for those that dont have the skin), the very p2w mechanics they are going to avoid. So you could change your beam attack with an augment to look like it was a blood drain, it won't have any more power than the regular beam attack.
    I understand, but what I meant was more of a racial trait/skill set obtainable in game by completing very long quest lines that make sense. I'll take the lich example again because is my favourite. At max level, every class (or group of classes)  may have (perhaps influenced by your alignment) 2 or more choices of "paths" to follow, along the line of a prestige class in D&D. For evil magic classes there could be a questline to be a lich, completely optional of course. This would start with you reaching max level and making a pact with a demon prince/lord and getting on a quest to find a phylactery, the ingredients to inscribe the runes in it and how to make the potion that will turn you into a Lich. After this long, difficult and expensive quest (it should cost a lot, not because of your choice but for realism, since a phylactery is considered a legendary item you should have very high crafting skills and it should cost a lot. it is half a million in D&D) you get to become a lich and gain racial traits like immune to poison, sleep, starvation (if there is a food system) and maybe a skill line with necromancer like skills or necromancy addon on the already existing skills. Overall i believe this idea would be fantastic and would draw so many players into the game as it adds depths, customisation and further development for your character. After all AoC wants to refresh the MMORPG industry right? What better way then introducing very interesting mechanics like this along with everything else?
  • Prestige classes in D&D broke the system, they were either way nerfed and role play only or they were super op.

Again, if Lich allowed you to 'gain' abilities/bonuses I would be opposed, because why wouldn't everyone do it?

If Lich, in your example, replaced abilities/bonuses/skills you already have with others I would be okay.

Also, not sure why max level would have to bit obtained first, that leads to end game content. So if the level cap ever increased the quest start would have to be altered or new players wouldn't have to be at max level.

Using Lich/Lycan/Vamp quest lines to alter your characters cosmetics and racial abilities/skills I'm okay with, using them to ADD to your abilities/skills is pointless. Imo.
  • Azathoth said:
    Prestige classes in D&D broke the system, they were either way nerfed and role play only or they were super op.

Again, if Lich allowed you to 'gain' abilities/bonuses I would be opposed, because why wouldn't everyone do it?

If Lich, in your example, replaced abilities/bonuses/skills you already have with others I would be okay.

Also, not sure why max level would have to bit obtained first, that leads to end game content. So if the level cap ever increased the quest start would have to be altered or new players wouldn't have to be at max level.

Using Lich/Lycan/Vamp quest lines to alter your characters cosmetics and racial abilities/skills I'm okay with, using them to ADD to your abilities/skills is pointless. Imo.
    I always found prestige classes amazing, they are the pinnacle of a character's development and they add a lot imo.

Because maybe it could bring some negative effect too.... idk maybe weaknesses to something or something else. It is a choice, and also there should be more than one.

Max level would be to indicate that it is indeed a final extension of your character. If they increase the max level I don't think the quest should be moved. Unless they "scale" the levels to make them more easier to achieve

• Religious, social and racial progression will all augment your character.
    Augments are more significant than just changing the appearance of a beam.
    The examples we have are that some Summoner sub-classes will summon effects rather than minions - and some will summon on one powerful minion rather than many minions.

I expect to see a Lich cosmetic.
    Powers of a Lich would probably be coming from Necromancer and religious augments.
  • Dygz said:
    Religious, social and racial progression will all augment your character.
    Augments are more significant than just changing the appearance of a beam.
    The examples we have are that some Summoner sub-classes will summon effects rather than minions - and some will summon on one powerful minion rather than many minions.

I expect to see a Lich cosmetic.
    Powers of a Lich would probably be coming from Necromancer and religious augments.
    Well, they already have ^^