Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

taxes

According to the Wiki taxes are used mainly for nodes defense. Wouldn't it be better to have a more indepth node developement system where you can allocate taxes to different causes?

I know there are 4 types of nodes, so why not create 4 different "tech trees" for node developement that you can progress through with tax income. All unlocked tech would also increase node upkeep so the government might have to cut back on some services in order to develope or upkeep another if there is not enough tax income.

With military tech you could boost cities defenses with better geared guards, siege machines etc. Using more money on scientific tech would unlock better facilities for players to craft, maybe faster/cheaper crafting and unlock more recipes and high quality materials for traders. etc. Economic tech could increase the amount of caravans, amount of gear available on traders and cheaper prices on NPCs etc. Divine type tech I don't know what would it provide but I'm guessing different kind of healing services, blessings, buffs etc. This would make a great way for the government to have a real effect on the developement of the node. Different type of nodes would also have a lower price to develop a certain tree due to their nature. For example a military node would have lower cost to develop military related tech, but developing commercial tech would cost more.

example(just trowing numbers to give an example, balance would ofcoure have to be found)

Military node
  • Military tech cost 75%
  • Scientific tech cost 90%
  • Divine tech cost 110%
  • Economic tech cost 125%
Feel free to shoot this down, at the moment there just isn't alot of info on this so I'm just shooting this out there.

Comments

• Options

While currency generated by taxes will go towards defense, that is not the only use for them. Mayors will have far ranging abilities to affect their particular node based on the structures they decide are to be built at that current level. Certain paths will not allow later buildings to be built. For example, they may decide to build the royal stables at metro level 6, but doing so locks them from the final upgrade to city walls. The main reason for taxes not being able to to spent in other ways is to stop actions where people think they are going to raid the treasury. Currency will also not be the only resource they need to gather. Wood, stone and others will be needed to upgrade certain buildings and services. Certain structures will attract better npcs and npc organizations.