Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Pet Utility

I've seen these types of pets personally.
Pets that follow you around doing nothing. (Meh)
Pets that follow you around giving a passive buff. (Oh god no!)
Pets that are your mount. (S'okay.)
Pets that fight. (Yus!)

I am hoping for utility pets on top of combat.

Shoulder pet that has a field of view, not AoE, that a hidden shiny is seen will race down and try to dig it out drawing your attention to it.
A digger/burrowing pet you can set to guard your crops from pests that dig and burrow.
Flying pet you can send off into the air looking for things, depending on your animal handling giving you more communication with it so you can send it to find ore, plants, cities or.. players and cry out their position to you.
Pet who's saliva has special properties that can slow or stop bleedout or infection.
For the population of Necromancers a pet that can find fresh corpses for them to do nefarious things with. =P

I want pets to be complex, indepth, and having the choice of which one you have to be more than Does this pet do the most damage? Runs the fastest? Gives the best Buff?

I'm tired of simple. Most of the simple/easy games I run across get boring in 30d or less.

Comments

• For the population of Necromancers a pet that can find fresh corpses for them to do nefarious things with. =P

You have my full support just tell me what you need to get this up and running 
  • I would be satisfied with a pet loot system so I don't have to walk to every corpse individually ;3
  • nagash said:

For the population of Necromancers a pet that can find fresh corpses for them to do nefarious things with. =P

You have my full support just tell me what you need to get this up and running 
    It would have to deal with the corpse system. Normal npc deaths wouldn't matter much but a named npc or a player. I suspect a Necromancer finding a corpse like that could Raise it for a short time, complete with skills and strength for a short time like 30s. 
  • I would be satisfied with a pet loot system so I don't have to walk to every corpse individually ;3
    Agree, BDO has his and I love it. The Pet leveling system allows  faster loot ing and also useful buffs.
    I hope they do not implement the Bland WOW Pet System that is just Vanity and "Pet battle Mini-games.....
  • I hate pets and hope they never serve any real purpose.. Kinda ruins how I feel about my character when a herd of woodland creatures follow me around because I like their utility. I also don't agree with utility for when I have to dismiss my favorite cockroach because fancy cat does the fancy utility. Ya know! Then my best friend looks at me with those eyes and I have to live knowing he saw me with over 4000 hexagonal lenses betray him for a shovel pet I don't even like. It's too much.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    Pets that loot in BDO were a god send because combat was designed for us to kill 3000 mobs a minute - if Ashes isn't like that then I'm with Beardo; pets just for cosmetics please...

I hate the look of having animals/cosmetic critters following everyone around..makes the fantasy world look like a dog show...plus when pets had combat skills in Archeage they were so underpowered it was pointless, and having pets with useful combat skills would just be unfair to other players or force them to join said dog show...*shudder*.
  • I like pets but yeah they can be pointless and outside of people like me that just like them for the looks and idle animations and collection purposes.

Pets that loot can be helpful for lazy people (also me). I'm having problems thinking of many useful purposes for them.

• Bless did the whole pet skill buffs that also allow you to upgrade them to higher tiers/looks. Interesting enough if not a bit too RNG. 
    • WoW eventually did the whole battle system which was alright but for people that worked hard pre-pet battle to collect pets.. it kinda made ours a bit more insignificant. 
    • Aion had a simple pet system that allowed them to hold some extra items or alert you to enemies and some other banal things
    • FFXIV added a minion strategy game. Tons to gather from tons of sources.
    • RIFT, ToR, and ESO; iirc, are strictly vanity items.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm an avid collector and I will be gathering as many as I can and will enjoy every second of it. If they have bonuses, awesome, if they don't I'll still be collecting them.
  • Issue is as soon as you give something a function then you run the risk of P2W, or force players to use something they might not want to. Considering there are already pet skins* being sold in the $hop and the "No P2W" mantra i can't see how pets could be anything other than vanity/collections.
    2c
    edited June 2018
    People will always spin what they want to fit their narrative. They very clearly stated back near KS that store pets are not skins, and would not have abilities. They are stand alone cosmetic summons and will have no p2w function or statistics. Pets earned in game through taming and others that have combat abilities are different, and depending on how that system is implemented will indeed have functions and statistics. Since they are available in game to everyone, a skin for a non-store pet will, just like everything else always be cosmetic.
  • What I love about pets is that they add to the MMO feel.
    Just as I like to know what costumes and gear other players are using, I like to see the pets each player chooses to own.
    In Bless Online, it's fun whether I'm seeing lots of people with pets and mounts common to the region or with pets and mounts from exotic locales I haven't visited yet.

I think we know that some mounts will have abilities that we can use in combat, so I expect the same for some pets. I don't expect the abilities to be as complex as flying pets that can look for stuff from the air for you.
    Since there will be breeding, I hope we will be able to breed traits such that we might be able to get the abilities of a specific cat into a cockroach if that's what we really want.
    Don’t think they will go this direction but would love it. If they make it easy to get a pet early on then you could get rid of anyone complaining about it being pay 2 win...if you could even argue a pet looting items is p2w. 
  • Sintu said:
    I would be satisfied with a pet loot system so I don't have to walk to every corpse individually ;3
    Don’t think they will go this direction but would love it. If they make it easy to get a pet early on then you could get rid of anyone complaining about it being pay 2 win...if you could even argue a pet looting items is p2w. 
    That'd be some impressive mental gymnastics to say a pet auto-looting for you is p2w. lol
    edited June 2018
    If they would make all pets able to loot and all pets loot at the same rate, then it wouldn't be P2W.
  • I don't know why ppl would think pets are considered p2w if anyone can get them without paying. Or maybe ppl just don't like auto loot pets because thats what other games have you pay money for
  • Im good as long as they have some functions and not just for the looks.
  • I'm good either way. Function or not, I'm a collector. I'm already a little disheartened because I'll never get the pets from the monthly sales and, ergo, my collection will never be complete.
  • Will like it better of there are just two types; combat and vanity.

Combat;
    • Reserved for the classes and skills that can summon or tame them.
    • Reward vs risk vs time sink - Chose two, can't have all three.
    • Cannot be bought thru the cosmetic store; Players must invest their time and effort, not just their wallets.

Vanity;
    • Available in the store for any/all that want them.
    • No in game reward for buying what is just a cosmetic item.
    • Players get the option to toggle off other players superfluous cosmetic items such as pets and/or store bought/KS reward weapon/spell effects and skins.

• The problem with pet function for me is that i don't like to use pets. And for my competitive preferences I would rather not have to visually filter out combat from cosmetic vanity clutter items. That's just my preference. If they are purely cosmetic then the option to toggle them on/off would be viable, as soon as you give it a function then it becomes mandatory. Profession/Class specific companions/minions are not the same as pets for sake of clarification.