Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

All races can be all classes?

as the titele says it, will all races be able to play all classes? Or is there any gender lock or any other resticions?
Dwarfen (Dünir) Necro possible?

Comments

• Ah thank you! So could but might gimp the char/class
  • Gwaar said:
    Ah thank you! So could but might gimp the char/class
    I can not imagine it would "gimp" the character...it just may not be optimized.  In my experience it would be an extremely minor difference normally.
  • Would anyone choose a race that would benefit their class or just go by personal choice? Efficiency vs cosmetics.
  • Would anyone choose a race that would benefit their class or just go by personal choice? Efficiency vs cosmetics.
    Depends
    Probably. In Everquest I had to be an Erudite because pew pew....
    It will influence my decision, but it won't define it. Just one item in the pro/con list.
  • Imma be renkai orc mage and in my gut i know that combo is gonna gimp me a little. The fun part comes in figuring out how to get past those gimps and making my creation viable.
  • Pinkberry said:
    Imma be renkai orc mage and in my gut i know that combo is gonna gimp me a little. The fun part comes in figuring out how to get past those gimps and making my creation viable.
    Yep I had that too in DAoC, I played a Troll Shaman but it worked quite well in the end  :)
  • I will be a Nikua Dwarf Bard~ If my racial stats gimp meh I'll just need to learn to play better :D 
  • at least you all have your races I have to kill mine for loot, where are the rights of the undead.
  • nagash said:
    at least you all have your races I have to kill mine for loot, where are the rights of the undead.
    I guess for you it's a "race" for the "end" resutls.
  • nagash said:
    at least you all have your races I have to kill mine for loot, where are the rights of the undead.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    In DAoC I played a pierce Heroine, one of the best decisions I ever made game-wise.  (for those that don't know, hero/heroine was considered sword/board)
    edited June 2018
    Racials have always been for novelty and min-maxing. If you really want the (made up example, but in line with typical racial) extra 5% spell haste an elf has then your mage should be an elf.

If you rather be an orc, then by all means, be an orc. 

Some taces may have an advantage lore-wise to various crafts or specs, which if that matters to you, then you should oroproba adhere to it. But I don't see someone being leaps and bounds brhinb every one else because they didn't follow this.
    edited June 2018
    nagash said:
    That had me rolling!!!  Well played. 
  • I myself have many times just played whatever race/class combo I was feeling at the moment with little regard to stats/lore, etc. 

I played a draenei priest alt in wow and a common bit of feedback I got last time I was playing was... you should play a dwarf priest! Ugh, I know I know I know. Why were they even saying that, now? I don't even remember because I just couldn't care!  :p Maybe that explains why even though I always had more gold, achievements, and collectables than my friends, My combat skills left quite a bit to be desired. Who knows.

I want to change that up in my next mmo. I want to be solid in combat for once. Even though I've played many mmo's in my life I've always remained mediocre in that arena.

And caring about those racial stats just a little may actually help me realize that goal. I guess we will see. XD

Anyway thanks for the food for thought frens. It made me actually consider this a bit more. 

• @Misty Dwarf priest was better option because racial priest skill. I am not sure if i remember right, but might be about desperate prayer, stone skin and fear ward. Those made dwarf priest good in both PvP and PvE.

Even maxing out the effectiveness will be always a thing, i still hope devs manages to give us more like variations with races and not just pure benefits. Still i would recommend people to play what ever they want to. It will be pain to play with oiled smexy beach dwarf if it burns your eyes every second, even it would be the best option. ;)
  • No locking for genders or classes thankfully :3
  • Roleplayers are very likely to choose combinations that are not optimal - that is really at the heart of roleplaying. Raistlin being one of the fundamental examples: characters with flaws and quirks.
    "Gamers" are more likely to try to max for the most optimal, uber build in order to WIN.
  • Dygz said:
    Roleplayers are very likely to choose combinations that are not optimal - that is really at the heart of roleplaying. Raistlin being one of the fundamental examples: characters with flaws and quirks.
    "Gamers" are more likely to try to max for the most optimal, uber build in order to WIN.
    roleplayer are the type of player that will spend days grinding geat to to look nice and forget about the stats. well I do anyway
  • Instead of Dygz's "gamer" I would use Min-Maxer but that's a personal preference. 

Since we, as Gamers, Role Players or not, have choices to make concerning how we build our characters as we level, the fun is choosing what fits what we have in mind for what we want to grow into.  If you are doing cookie cutter, you have surrendered your personality, and freedom of expression into a robot of someone else's design.  At least that is how I feel about min-maxers even though they can be very powerful.
  • Sintu said:
    Gwaar said:
    I can not imagine it would "gimp" the character...it just may not be optimized.  In my experience it would be an extremely minor difference normally.
    in overall combat I'd agree, but 1v1 with someone who is on a "somewhat" equal footing but with the more optimized race that little bit makes a big difference.
  • MrWaffles said:
    Sintu said:
    Gwaar said:
    in overall combat I'd agree, but 1v1 with someone who is on a "somewhat" equal footing but with the more optimized race that little bit makes a big difference.
    That's too bad then.  I would hope you could choose your race more on what you would like to visually see then having to choose based on stats.  But all good if that's the direction the game chooses because it would just go in with the theme of choice and consequences.
  • If you play better and know your character better I can not imagine racial traits would be an advantage in an otherwise equal match up.
  • In 1v1 situation the marginal would be small, but if we think 40 player raid. Then this maxing starts to make some difference. 
    edited June 2018
    Ashes also has racial progression, so, maxing racial progression and supplementing that with appropriate gear should be significant.
    Not in a OP way, though. And should not provide an inherent "advantage". Yes.
    edited June 2018
    I always compare it to D&D. There are races that are better paired with some classes than others, like Gnome and Wizard, but having a character that is a Dwarf Wizard is interesting and different from a role-play perspective. The Dwarf may not get extra intellect but he does get more constitution so he is more healthy thus can take more hits than a Gnome. It may change the play-style a little for that Wizard, but that is okay because it adds unpredictability, freshness, and diversity to the game.
  • Augments from secondary class, religion, etc may overcome any racial disparity but we'll have to see how this plays out.

For Ashes I'm not going the min/max-for-endgame route - Just makes me feel I'm working more than playing.  If a dwarf tank/cleric miner/smelter is good enough for high level play while allowing for fun RP than that's all well and good. If not, will make the most of what it can be.

No sense in getting all twisted over what we don't know at this time.
  • Play whatever looks good   :wink: