Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Races to see in the future

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
So the list of races we wanna see later down the road are:
Dryads - nature n tree spirits
Water nymphs - water spirits (not elf) 
Undead - litch king, ghoul, zombie

These are 2 ideas just to add:
Bird race - before they became corrupted (lovebird themed bard lol)
Insect race - humanoid bugs (instead of lizard people)

Comments

• All hail the might of the undead ^^

• bird race would be interesting tbh sorta like a harpy. insect race no thx xd sounds too creepy
  • I always loved Tengu in GW2 and Arakkoa in WoW...

Really there is tons and tons of cool things that can be added. The real question is ... would it be okay to add them as a skin or as their own race? Because if they have their own race that would be architecture style, armor style, racials, lore, etc. If they are just skins we can add a lot of fun things in the game and write them off as costumes for immersion reasons.
  • Loyheta said:
    I always loved Tengu in GW2 and Arakkoa in WoW...

Really there is tons and tons of cool things that can be added. The real question is ... would it be okay to add them as a skin or as their own race? Because if they have their own race that would be architecture style, armor style, racials, lore, etc. If they are just skins we can add a lot of fun things in the game and write them off as costumes for immersion reasons.
    Personally I prefer as a race because having all those different racial concepts would be pretty cool and have a big factor in my enjoyment of the game. My favorite races for some mmorpgs are based off things like starting area, lore, and armor style. Of course this would be demanding on the developers and game designers so understandable if it doesnt get implemented :p
  • nagash said:
    All hail the might of the undead ^^

I heard about one by some train tracks. 
  • Pangu said:
    Loyheta said:
    I always loved Tengu in GW2 and Arakkoa in WoW...

Personally I prefer as a race because having all those different racial concepts would be pretty cool and have a big factor in my enjoyment of the game. My favorite races for some mmorpgs are based off things like starting area, lore, and armor style. Of course this would be demanding on the developers and game designers so understandable if it doesnt get implemented :p
    Yeah I would too. However, that means more time. Plus you'd have to do all the armor and weapon models to each race. It'd make good expansion content and that'd give us enough time to have these races fleshed out. 
  • Pangu said:
    bird race would be interesting tbh sorta like a harpy. insect race no thx xd sounds too creepy
    Lol i thought an insect race would be interesting because one of my favorite character from the overlord anime, entoma zeta was an insect combat maid plus an entomancer(bug charmer like shino from naruto lol) and i loved it.

I think bugs are creepy too but she is all kinds of cute in a weird way lol.

• If i had to choose between these being skins to an actual new race added, i would side with waiting 3 more years for an expansion for fully fleshed out new races and building architecture. 

Or both and split the difference, for example maybe make the druids and water nymphs skins and the bird people as a future race seeing that they are already established.
  • nagash said:
    All hail the might of the undead ^^

Sorry but you guys just have to stay as mobs for our exp :/ on that note a demon race would be great :3
  • Ohhh yes!!!!!!!! I hope they add an evil demon race too, make a cute harpy or succubus with wings.

lol a succubus would be the perfect the enchanter class. Match made in heaven.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    Ashes already has an avian race called the Sladeborne.

Just having skins won't impact racial progression.
    Race is more meaningful than just appearance.
    I'm not expecting a new player race for quite some time - especially since the Tulnar is already a stretch goal.

I would love for Ashes to have a non-binary or intersex insectoid player race.
    We'll have to see what the devs envision.
    More inspiration from non-Western mythologies would also be nice.
  • I'm hoping for mermaids and mermen.
  • I've thought about an aquatic race a few times, and I do think it has potential!  Like someone said, mermaids/sea nymphs/that sort of thing and they'd work well in a more in-depth sea expansion.  One thing I wrestled with a lot in terms of that, however, is their cultural inspirations.  What would they go for?

----
    On that topic—I do, however, hope Ashes avoids something a lot of other fantasy universes have fallen into: Nonwestern cultural inspirations, when they're included, typically being tossed on nonhumans.

I noticed this most strongly when looking into the Guild Wars universe, actually.  I was struck by how unique it was that there were East Asian-inspired and African-inspired societies of humans out there, which almost never get featured in a prominent way in fantasy game universes. I got to thinking about what I'd seen before that: "Have I ever seen Precolumbian Americas inspirations with humans?  Have I ever seen South Asian inspirations with humans?  Sub-Saharan inspired humans aside from this?  East Asian inspired humans aside from this?"

Truth is, when those elements are around, they're very frequently thrown on nonhuman races for various reasons I won't pretend to know all of.  However, sometimes it seems it's to highlight "they're 'exotic' and 'different'."  It doesn't paint the best image, no matter the creator's intentions.

I'd point out that it could be very easily spun and turned on its head.  Ashes provides itself a unique opportunity with Sanctus being currently unknown to the audience.  Steven has said that Sanctus is a land of many nations and races, so there's a very strong possibility we aren't seeing all of the world present when we start the game—just a part of it.

There could be a group of humans on Sanctus who simply haven't come to Verra in large numbers that are East Asian inspired, as an example, who may view the Ren'kai with a sort of "Oni"-like status.  These people might have a completely different culture, but still borrow from the same general region to search through for inspirations (like how Kaelar, Empyreans, Dünir, and Py'rai all seem to have heavy Western inspirations).  If more Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs exist, they might even be worthwhile to explore as a possibility for a playable group someday.  While the idea of a completely new race is exciting, I don't think it's actually all that necessary to keep adding more to explore new themes and elements.

----
    As for my own ideas for actual new races though (since I rambled a bit there)...

A magical construct race could be fun.  A tiefling-esque race has potential.  They could go for a full anthropomorphic animal race (since the Tulnar seem to be more of a mixture).  A plant race would be interesting, as people have pointed out a few times.  Something like Genasi aren't done often.  Tons of possibilities, really!
  • @Dygz I Know!! ashes already has a birdrace lol i did forget thier name though. Concerning the Sladeborne, thats what i meant when i typed, "bird race before they turned corrupted" up top.

Im hoping we can see the 
    Sladeborne as a playable race in the future both as corrupted and pure. Plus i agree with having an insect race, i wouldn't mind making a bumblebee knight.

WoW @Maevynn i love your ideas and the long rant. I just agree with all the race ideas as well. With all the mutations in the world the race possibilities can be unique.

Playable race for the future:
    Sladeborne -  corrupted and pure
    Drayads - forest spirits
    Water nymphs - water spirits
    Insect race 
    anthropomorphic animal race
    edited June 2018
    I would love to see an insect race. With an insect race, there is an opportunity for a vast amount of customization and uniqueness. As there is a lot of variety of insect characteristics out there in the real world to morph into a fantasy based humanoid that has not been seen. Also brings in an opportunity to create unique animations for attacking instead of the generic raise arm and lower arm animation or how a bow string is drawn.

With the vibrant underworld, some sort of vibrant insect race would be AMAZING! (yes aware of the Tulnar) Would allow for some great customization and a very unique aspect to set the race apart besides being a different species. 
  • I could see harpies being a character creation option for Tulnar. 
    The harpies wouldn't be able to fly; kinda defeats being a harpy.

• T-Elf said:
    I could see harpies being a character creation option for Tulnar. 
    The harpies wouldn't be able to fly; kinda defeats being a harpy.

They could "float" over the ground though! 
  • Hobbits.
    Reptalians.
    Cat People
    Merman
    Aliens who found Verra while the races were away in Godland
    edited June 2018
    Hobbits.
    Reptalians.
    Cat People
    Merman
    Aliens who found Verra while the races were away in Godland
    so you mean 

small undead
    scaly undead
    ungrateful undead
    fishy undead
    undead from another world 

I like this ^^

• lol I wouldn't mind seeing some halflings. As long as they have a great culture to them.
    edited June 2018
    A calm and beautifull humanoid race Sylphs that practice the arts of wind magic up in the mountains.

They live inside temples and study the balance of life. there slogan is " You are truly a master when youre mind is lighter then a feather that is carried by the winds.''

• Shapeshifting druids please :smile:
  • The game is Phoenix themed, I want bird people!
  • I'm not sure if I posted this yet but I really want a undead race ^^
  • nagash said:
    I'm not sure if I posted this yet but I really want a undead race ^^
    As long as I can have vampires, then you can have undead :p
  • The game is Phoenix themed, I want bird people!
    Ohh maybee there saving bird people for an awsome expansion with thir floating city.

Id make a Peached face lovebird themebard omgoshhh soooo cute.
  • fear his cuteness 

• nagash said:
    fear his cuteness 

Yesssssss!!!!!! Like omgosh i love it 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩
  • nagash said:
    fear his cuteness 

Hell yes! This could be a potential race.