Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Quick Summary of a TTRPG in Verra

I just recently finished running a 6+ month campaign (table top RPG) based in Verra, or rather or imagination of Verra. We used Roll20 to play online with a bastardized version of the Burning Wheel system. (If you have questions regarding what we changed, feel free to ask) I figured I’d give just a small summary of what we accomplished during the past few months. We started with a Session 0 where we decided to do an intrigue campaign, but that is not exactly where it ended.

I started by setting the stage; a massive, dangerous, mysterious bayou was not what the first travelers expected when they came out of the gateway. Based on the old writings, this should have been in an open Savannah in the center of a large continent. They had prematurely named their new settlement Starengar to exemplify its fortuned stability. Through many years of turmoil, those that survived had cobbled together a settlement built into the gargantuan trees that could touch the clouds. A council, elected by the citizens, had been formed to help them survive, as that was their main concern. The council had a head who would vote if there was a tie, but her word was law in times of war. The councils; Hunting & Gathering, Arcane Arts, Housing, Security, Trade, and Diplomacy; had succeeded in making the bayou a livable place that had begun to prosper due to the magic moss that grew up the trees (it had magical properties that could be exploited throughout Verra). The previous Councilor of Arcane Arts (Zerax) has fallen into senile ramblings and a new Councilor has been summoned from beyond the gateway (Player Character #1 – Jonathan Prestor). As he is not yet accustomed to the lands of Verra and his knowledge is mostly academic, an Elvish ranger has been hired from the Southern mountain town of Ostium due to her fabled accomplishments (PC #2 – Yvane Dwemer).

My PCs began their story but meeting the council. Immediately, their characters distrusted the Councilor of Diplomacy (Orc shaman named Muzga who boasted about causing coups across the desert). They seemed to trust the rest of the council, for now. They were tasked with simple things at first; exploring the Eastern ruins, reinforcing barriers against the swamp worms (regenerative worms that turn the dirt into a mooshy water substance. Zerax had made a barrier to protect the town, but it was failing.), etc. After a few sessions, a woman (Niseries) from the desert town of Praba wanted to search some of the surrounding areas for an ancient artifact from before the calamity. The PCs were immediately distrusting of her, as Jonathan was able to tell she was trying to hide her magic. They decided to investigate her belongings prior to leaving to excavate the area she wanted to search. They found a “map” and some cold iron, which they decided to take.

Yvane was able to use her tracking to find the position on the map. They found a buried temple on the border of the bayou and the desert. Through some challenges, they made it deep into the chambers and found a room containing a tomb in front of a throne. Through some quick thinking, they managed to talk to the ancient spirit of Khurazgar (a man whose enchanting was legend before the calamity). He informed them that Niserie had been an elf who gave herself to the fae a long time ago. Khurazagr allowed the PCs to take his orb encased in his tomb to save it from Niserie.

*I had intended to only have 2 other artifacts and for it not to be a BIG portion of the campaign, but one of the PCs rolled quite well and in Burning Wheel, the PCs have a lot of agency. He said that the there was an artifact for all the deadly sins, so 7 in total. I realized at this point that this was going to be the main story of the campaign. *

Through many months and countless close calls, Jonathan had bound himself to many of the artifacts of Khurazgar and he was starting to lose himself. Yvane had made an oath to protect Jonathan at all costs. Niserie had tried to stop them at many points, but she had not been able to confront them directly due to Fae intricacies. They saved a dragon from being sacrificed to try to resurrect a dead god. They found out that one of the larger cities was created entirely by the conjuration (sloth) artifact. They faced inner demons when they entered into a mind colosseum against sorcerers employing the illusion artifact. All this culminating in them finding out that Niserie (original name Isyaril) wanted to go through a gateway to solidify herself as a god on the old world. An epic battle ensued where the PCs somehow summoned an angel of the god Junil (God of Order) to help in their defense. Jonathan ended up becoming The Brightlord (the player likened it to the Lich King where two “people” melded together to become one being). They thwarted her plans, but before she took her last breath she informed them that with her death, the god of death would be uncaged.

I shortened a lot of the story and the system we used. If you have any questions regarding anything, just let me know. I figured that it might be interesting to some of you to know that there are games being played in “Verra” even if a lot of this story assumes things that aren’t true. I also didn't really edit this as it's just a casual post about some friends being nerds.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    It seems like you had an excellent campaign going. also, way love reading over peoples campaigns it gives me ideas for my own ^^

I had the same idea when ashes came out, but I set mine at the time of ending where the world is gone to hell using kingdom deaths rules. the campaign has been going for four months now but I'm so happy to other people had the same idea so thanks for that makes me feel more normal ^^  
  • Ooo I'd really like to hear how that turned out. I imagine it's pretty fast-paced due to the impending demise of the planet (at least for people). Are your players there after most have left or is it during the evacuation?
  • I'm sure that he won't release details because of lore reasons, but Steven is rumored to have been running a weekly tabletop D&D campaign based in Verra during development. Hopefully they have kept a running account of it somewhere and we can hear about it once it no longer will "spoil" through lore reveals.
  • I'm sure that he won't release details because of lore reasons, but Steven is rumored to have been running a weekly tabletop D&D campaign based in Verra during development. Hopefully they have kept a running account of it somewhere and we can hear about it once it no longer will "spoil" through lore reveals.
    Ya, I surmised based on their interaction on one of the recent livestreams that they're probably not nearly as "professional" during those games either. I bet they have a blast playing in a setting that they're bringing to life in an MMO. It would be incredible if they did ever release some notes after the lore is shown.

I'm working on our next campaign that's going to take place more out in the ocean with islands, boats, treasures, etc. Any ideas from the community are always appreciated! :)
  • Ooo I'd really like to hear how that turned out. I imagine it's pretty fast-paced due to the impending demise of the planet (at least for people). Are your players there after most have left or is it during the evacuation?
    Sure, the story is based 20 years before the fall of Verra when the corruption is growing, people are changing mentally, and the first signs of physical corruption  is starting to show. I had five people in my group, and I wanted to make the world as dark as possible. I made a corruption bar for all members to show the effect of the world on them. The idea behind this was much like how pvp works in ashes but the more corruption you gained, the stronger you became, but at the same time, you change.

So the first player was an Elf swordmaster known as Kell. He was the oldest of the group and was a guard in one of the temples but left after his temple was raided by bandits. He defended the temple with the other guards but one after another, his fellow guards fell, and he was the last one, he was stabbed through the chest and left to die. Likely or unlucky however you see it he lived. Since that day he felt he failed to defend his charges and became a Wanderer staying away from people and killing anyone who seems to have fallen to the corruption.

The next members were a couple who wanted to play as brother and sister in a small human village. They were aged 14 and 15. Their names where Lucy who was a priest and Fredrick a fighter. Their story was that the village where they lived was attacked by animals that had become corrupted the villagers managed to repel the attackers but their mother died; their father who was too distraught took his own life shortly after living the kids to fend for them selfs.

The next member was a Kaivek Orc, named mordwin she was a hunter in the outskirts of a town known as Tals she was the group's Pathfinder and ranger. She keeps her history to herself.

The last was a human name Marric who was an ex-soldier in the first human army. After years of bloody battles, Marric had seen the changes in the men he served with. It started off with petty crimes like drinking or getting into fights but as time went on it became clear that thing where getting worse. The turning point was when he was ordered to raise a city to the ground just because they had not paid their full tithe. As the city burned, that night Maric heard the screams and left in the dark becoming a drunk and moving from pub to pub to drown the pain. 

Well, this is just a "brief" bit of background lore about what they wrote, and I think it sets the tone really well. 

The story begins in the outskirts of Tals. Lucy and Fredrick have been working for as labors in a farm near Tals for a few months since their father died and are now delivering goods to be sold in Tels itself. As the journey goes on, they feel odd like there something watching them. They slow the horse down and take a look and see in the woods shadows of men. They try to get the horses moving as fast as they can, but the horses are shoot by bows killing them and living the players stuck. The bandits attack both of them, but at the same time Kell has been hunting the bandits and rushed to the aid of Fredric and lucy.  

that was their first fight and after that keel took the players to Tals and that's where the story begins

• Sounds like a blast. The corruption system seems like a great idea for that setting. Have they been utilizing it or is it seen as something they don't want to gain? @nagash
  • Sounds like a blast. The corruption system seems like a great idea for that setting. Have they been utilizing it or is it seen as something they don't want to gain? @nagash
    most of the players have at least some corruption due to actions but Marric has quite a lot